It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debt Linked to Mental Health Problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

New research, led by the University of Southampton, has shown that people in debt are three times more likely to have a mental health problem than those not in debt.

Researchers from the University of Southampton, along with a researcher from Kingston University, carried out a systematic review on all previous research which looked at the relationship between health problems and unsecured debt. They conducted a 'meta-analysis', the first time this has been done on the issue, to statistically combine the results of previous studies involving nearly 34,000 participants.

The results, published online in Clinical Psychology Review, showed that those in debt were more than three times more likely to have a mental health problem as those who were not in debt.

Dr Thomas Richardson, Clinical Psychologist from the University of Southampton who led the research, comments: "This research shows a strong relationship between debt and mental health; however it is hard to say which causes which at this stage. It might be that debt leads to worse mental health due to the stress it causes. It may also be that those with mental health problems are more prone to debt because of other factors, such as erratic employment. Equally it might be that the relationship works both ways. For example people who are depressed may struggle to cope financially and get into debt, which then sends them deeper into depression.

Read the full article

I haven't been able to locate the actual report, but I am personally very curious to see if there has been any kind of development in these tendencies. Like before and after 2007-08, or just over the past 60 years. If financial trouble caused mental issues, wouldn't we have seen a dramatic rise in people getting a diagnosis since the financial crisis started?

Also it would be interesting to see if any specific mental issues are more prevalent among people with debt than with others. If some mental issues are more prevalent this could also indicate that debt causes mental issues.
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
So does debt cause mental problems or do people with mental problems go in debt?

When people get extra money, whether earned or borrowed, they decide to treat themselves to new kinds of foods. These new kinds of foods take a couple of generations to get used to. Then the foods that we are used to they change. Even changing recipes can effect the chemistry of the food. I study this and know that this is a partial cause of the health and mental decline in the country. Add to that, cell phones that can effect the mind a little and increasing the transformers on appliances in the house which also causes problems.

Nobody can make this much change this quick without having problems of some sort. Long term low level chemistry changes in the body are a problem that the FDA must address. Presently they ignore much of this. The problem is everyone needs their specific foods available in a melting pot like the USA.
edit on 30-9-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This isn't really news. People in financial distress are always depressed and some are suicidal. I think not knowing your options in that position really sets you up for both of the above. Some people just don't know what to do.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I think this makes sense. It's a two sided thing too... As someone else mentioned, it could be mental health issues led to the lifestyle which brought crushing debt to begin with.

Among the perfectly healthy? Heck, what isn't stressful enough about debt, especially in some states today, to cause major issues over time? California, for one, is a bastard on this. Pardon my french. Under their state law, someone can sue you for bad debt ....then order a discovery hearing or other administrative hearing you are compelled to attend. Miss the hearing? Well.... They say we don't have debtors prisons. Yeah.. right.. Sure we don't. They just call them bench warrants, not bad debts..but a 8x10 concrete box is the end result, whatever the terms used to describe it. (Except of course.. Debtors prisons cleared the debt... Our modern version leave every penny owed..plus interest...after serving the 'set up' bench warrant issue)

Who wouldn't go a little nutty living where that can come at any time...and the games to "Miss" informing you are as cute as they are evil ...lines cover this regularly. "Surprise! You're under arrest! Oh..didn't hear you had a hearing? Well...You have the right to remain silent, anything you say........"

Add to that, debt collectors that treat federal collection laws like a big game to beat on a daily basis and well? Debt can be hazardous to one's mental health, I can well imagine!

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Restricted

I agree - I do not think this will come as a surprise to anyone. But the study is new, and I do think this is a subject which is often neglected when peoples' personal finances are debated, and whether or not they should be hold accountable for their choices.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Mads1987

I believe that stress due to debt can cause a variety of mental health issues to emerge, depression, anxiety and insomnia among them. Anyone is susceptible to mental illness given a particular set of circumstances, no one is completely immune. Those who have a previous history of mental illness may be more prone to deeper or more prolonged bouts of depression and/or anxiety during times of financial crises but that doesn't mean that they are more prone than anyone else to get into a financial crises to start with unless their particular illness causes problems with getting or holding a sufficiently paying job.

new topics

top topics

join