It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the SHTF would we on this forum actually stand a better chance than regular foke???

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
No way would I survive. I ran out of gas to get to work for the past two weeks, my check comes today but it will be just enough for rent and if you dont pay rent in full by the fifteenth you are out on the street on the first- and im in govt housing. I have to pay rent, so there will be no gas for me to get to work again, period. We have had zero food in the house for 5 days now and it will be another 10 days before the food pantry opens. The good is, the human body can live without food for 21 days long as you drink water. We have water. food stamps aren't an option - and everyone around me who I know has no food to offer or money. Poorest town and county in the state.

I look outside at the various trees and know you can eat the inner bark of some and leaves of others, but what each tree is, I don't know.

times like these you just want to leave this horrible world. Still have a roof over my head but it's hopeless. So no, I'd be one who would die unless I could loot a grocery store before it went bad. or figure out how to make a fish spear out of a stick and find a creek with fish.

I do have tons of tomato paste, diced and stewed can tomatos and flour hoarded when I started to collect food for a shtf scenario. heh. I just can't ever have enough spare money TO get extra food, that's the problem. and we are not allowed to grow a thing else fined huge and kicked out.
edit on 3-10-2013 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Hey you never know. You might thrive under different circumstances. If the rules were changed you might play the game in a different way.

You are in fact surviving, no? Perhaps you are not prospering but you are still alive. That's what survival means.

Nobody can really offer any sound advice, not knowing the particulars of your situation, but the answer to your problem or the way out is probably staring you in the face. In wilderness survival situations lost hunters have been known to die of hypothermia from wandering around in circles while the path they were looking for is just a few yards from where the body was found.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

mwood
reply to post by spartacus699

No, most (probably 98%) of the people on this forum and most other forums out there would die as quick as everybody else.

To most people, reading stuff on the internet and learning a couple of tricks is all they think they need to be a Rambo survivalist.

Prepping is not something you just do.......it's a lifestyle.

Reading internet forums isn't the same as growing your own food on a daily basis and raising chickens, pigs and goats on a daily basis and KNOWING how to grow food whether it be animals or vegetables.

People who right now....TODAY are raising their animals and tending their crops will continue to do so after things get rough and will not have to learn to do it when the conditions are crappy.

Do they already have a bug out bag packed and ready...not planning it but actually have one?
Do they have an acre garden Already plated with food?
Do they have livestock they ALREADY raise?
Do they have at least a years worth of food stored?
Do they have enough Hybrid seeds stored to plant 2-3 years of future gardens?
Do they have medical supplies stored? (and know how to use them properly)
Do they have weapons and the skill to use them....really use them?

Thanks to the internet 98% of the people out there are "experts" on how to do all these things but don't actually do any of them. Whether it is because of where they live, how they live or they're in denial that they will have plenty of time to "get er done" when the time comes.

By the time you see it coming it will be FAR too late to learn, stock or do anything about it!
edit on 1-10-2013 by mwood because: (no reason given)

no the preppers would be many of the first to go. As soon as it was known that that's where the food is or that they look very comfortable and are not struggling, the hoars of people would storm the place and eat everything and everyone.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

sarra1833
No way would I survive. I ran out of gas to get to work for the past two weeks, my check comes today but it will be just enough for rent and if you dont pay rent in full by the fifteenth you are out on the street on the first- and im in govt housing. I have to pay rent, so there will be no gas for me to get to work again, period. We have had zero food in the house for 5 days now and it will be another 10 days before the food pantry opens. The good is, the human body can live without food for 21 days long as you drink water. We have water. food stamps aren't an option - and everyone around me who I know has no food to offer or money. Poorest town and county in the state.

I look outside at the various trees and know you can eat the inner bark of some and leaves of others, but what each tree is, I don't know.

times like these you just want to leave this horrible world. Still have a roof over my head but it's hopeless. So no, I'd be one who would die unless I could loot a grocery store before it went bad. or figure out how to make a fish spear out of a stick and find a creek with fish.

I do have tons of tomato paste, diced and stewed can tomatos and flour hoarded when I started to collect food for a shtf scenario. heh. I just can't ever have enough spare money TO get extra food, that's the problem. and we are not allowed to grow a thing else fined huge and kicked out.
edit on 3-10-2013 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

Just buy an old van or rv and live in that.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Well...

If people would just stop thinking that the lonely prepper is the way to go, more would be better off.

We will need to rely on each other to get by. No, I'm not refering to a couple of families grouping together. Talking about whole neighborhoods getting together.

It will take mucho hombre's to get stuff done.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

ChuckNasty
Well...

If people would just stop thinking that the lonely prepper is the way to go, more would be better off.

We will need to rely on each other to get by. No, I'm not refering to a couple of families grouping together. Talking about whole neighborhoods getting together.

It will take mucho hombre's to get stuff done.

I personally think there is much truth to this. Solo surviving is very difficult (long term) and imo requires knowledge and experience of the land you want to live on.

The reason I find this true is because my wife is from a small indigenous village that is less than 1000 people, but is like a large communal farming family. It is a self supporting society where they still abide by tribal customs and got electricity around 8 years ago, so they are not at all dependent on it (and still no cell phone signal)

Back to your point, yes, it will take communities to survive and to defend themselves from groups of outsiders. Otherwise, as a loner or a small group/family, it's good to be 12+ hours/days hike from any nearby road. The harder to find and get to, the better. Even then, hope no injuries or sicknesses happen because there will not be many people to call on for help.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
yeah, I think people on this forum would survive better than the general population. We're more open minded and informed and wouldn't walk around in a defeatist shock until we died of starvation. We'd actually do something and are open minded enough to be open to the possibilities. If a super volcano erupted...we already knew it was a possibility and that they exist. If aliens landed...we've been discussing them for years and it wouldn't shock us. If nuclear war hit us, we'd be at least a little prepped and knowledgeable about what it takes to survive a nuclear winter....and so on. That's a large generalization...in reality there's probably only about 70 percent of us that would do well, the other 30 percent here would die within a week. they're too set in their ways, too close minded, too paranoid, too delusional already and too willing to drink the Koolaid, no matter who's offering it. Just my thoughts.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by amazing

I think you are kind of on the right track. My belief is that being a part of an internet forum isn't going to increase your chances of survival one bit. But having the right mindset when disaster strikes will.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Obviously people who've spent time planning for their survival in the event of a disaster will do better than people who've never considered it. If you've planned then you don't have to rush around gathering essentials if you have to run - you have a bug out bag you can just grab. You'll get a head start on everyone else as they pack.

If you've planned, you've mapped high and low points of the area and have a better idea of where to go. You've told extended family where to meet up with you and will benefit from a larger group of people with ties to one another. You'll know how to fish and maybe even hunt or trap. You'll have ways to purify water and won't get sick like others having to drink right out of a puddle.

Yes preparing will help. People who can think on their feet always fare better in emergencies, but thats a state of mind you cant buy or steal, its a gift. And whether you prepped or not has no bearing on whether you are someone who can or cant think on your feet.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Beartracker16
Many will welcome a SHTF scenario by raising their eyes blinkingly from their suddenly darkened computer screens and staring blankly as they are led timidly from their parent's basements to their local FEMA camp

OMG... This is hilarious!!!

I just had to give you kudos for this comment before I even read the rest of the thread
. Not trying to derail, just giving credit where it is obviously due.

Okay, I've read the rest of the thread. My thoughts are simply this, for some, yes and for some, not a bit. It really depends on what you personally get out of your membership. Are you simply here to entertain yourself with "theories" of a conspiratorial nature or perhaps to troll those who are? OR are you here because you know something's rotten in denmark and seek answers or perhaps you are hoping to connect with like-minded people and share/absorb knowledge and thus "grow" as a human being?!

If you are either of the latter, you are better off in a multitude of ways. You will be more open minded and therefore able to be flexible in any given situation. You will have picked up little nuggets of knowledge in a varieties of areas and whether you know it right now or not doesn't matter... you'll remember it when you need it.

If you are either of the former, well the question doesn't apply because you are convinced that nothing "SHTF-esque" will even happen... and then you will be, to quote Beartracker16, "led timidly from their parent's basements (or 'better than the Jones' living room) to their local FEMA camp."

edit on 6-10-2013 by IrishCream because: to add

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
No, not at all these preppers are the ones i fear. They are going to end up being like the lunatic factions of the fallout world. They will only add to the choas

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join