If the SHTF would we on this forum actually stand a better chance than regular foke???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
In this world the only thing certain is death .. like everyone else roll the dice and take your chances as in the end doesnt matter how prepared you are everyone dies sooner or later. Learn to live life to the fullest while youre here.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

No, most (probably 98%) of the people on this forum and most other forums out there would die as quick as everybody else.

To most people, reading stuff on the internet and learning a couple of tricks is all they think they need to be a Rambo survivalist.

Prepping is not something you just do.......it's a lifestyle.

Reading internet forums isn't the same as growing your own food on a daily basis and raising chickens, pigs and goats on a daily basis and KNOWING how to grow food whether it be animals or vegetables.

People who right now....TODAY are raising their animals and tending their crops will continue to do so after things get rough and will not have to learn to do it when the conditions are crappy.

Do they already have a bug out bag packed and ready...not planning it but actually have one?
Do they have an acre garden Already plated with food?
Do they have livestock they ALREADY raise?
Do they have at least a years worth of food stored?
Do they have enough Hybrid seeds stored to plant 2-3 years of future gardens?
Do they have medical supplies stored? (and know how to use them properly)
Do they have weapons and the skill to use them....really use them?

Thanks to the internet 98% of the people out there are "experts" on how to do all these things but don't actually do any of them. Whether it is because of where they live, how they live or they're in denial that they will have plenty of time to "get er done" when the time comes.

By the time you see it coming it will be FAR too late to learn, stock or do anything about it!
edit on 1-10-2013 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
For the most part, survivors would probably be a very random mix of folk. Some will have prepared, but anybody can be a pack rat.

Having a bunch of crap stuffed in a house might help in waiting it out longer, or being able to evacuate at a moments notice might grant a head start, but neither ensures survival.

Anyone can be robbed or killed for their supplies. Anyone can be stopped dead in their tracks by a checkpoint or rounded up and detained.

The people here would stand no better chance than anyone else in any given scenario.

Especially in the event of a natural disaster, the casualties and fatalities would be indiscriminate.

Prepping has gone Disney already. It's been brought to the attention of the mainstream consumer, and so have the rumors concerning the origins and nature of possible SHTF scenarios. Wal-Mart has family starter kits. The playing field is level.

New skills will need to be developed. A familiar scenario for example: WWII, Nazi occupied France. Everything enjoyable is contraband, food is rationed, people disappear. Housewives became spies. Deliverymen became smugglers. Repairmen became saboteurs. New skills.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

That's what i was going to say too-it's one's ability to adapt from hour to hour,sometimes minute to minute+an iron will to survive(which could be manifested in both positive+negative ways) that will see one through.
There are many many people out there as coldblooded as snakes+as vicious as rabid dogs-and that is in the most favorable of circumstances-can you imagine the scale of ruthlessness in a SHTF scenario-and i am not just talking about the "usual suspects" like gangstaz and bikers-there are some pampered little princes+princesses who are like piranhas,i am sure.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

It is a very good lifestyle you speak of,in fact the ideal one-but i wonder,will it help you if a big band of marauders come by,prepared to burn you+your family out of your homestead,to get you outside where they can shoot you down+take your animals+crops-situations like that? Because it Will happen like that,i can guarantee you.

The way of life you describe IS ideal,imo though,ONLY if in a really remote spot-and No One knows about it,not even your closest friends-who may never hurt you,but may inadvertently have let something slip now,to the wrong person-and That person is a ruthless predator with friends of his own-and a good memory.so he remembers this little nugget of valuable info after SHTF,and comes with a gang of fellow predators.

I am sincerely not trying to demoralise-but putting down roots will only ever be safe if you have the lifestyle in a SECRET place-not even relatives aside from your spouse and/or children and/or parents,whichever you know would die before they hurtyou-but even the kids+parents could let something slip,so this should be on a need-to-know and Only if SHTF basis that they friends+even relatives should be aware,idk,its like every single scenario has its drawbacks-i have the feeling that staying in motion till you have secured a truly deserted,remote-from-others hide-out that can offer feasible sustenance for at least a few months,is perhaps the better option.

There should always be a supply of water+food in one's house for at least 2 weeks,at the very least,always.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Not necessarily.

There's a lot of people on this site who have manuals, bugout bags with every toy imaginable, guns and ammo, and more parachord than they know what to do with.

But few, or none could run more than 100 feet without collapsing. Even less could walk with all their expensive gear the several miles it would require to get to safety depending on the situation.

Even fewer know HOW to use that equipment. They lack basic survival skills like field sanitation and basic medical life saving training.

If anything many here are as susceptible as any "regular" person in a serious survival situation.

edit on 2-10-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I've said this a few times before, and it ends up being really unpopular, but I'll say it again:

Anyone with a family will be much harder pressed to act the way we -want- to act in a defecation hits the oscillating blades scenario. Worse yet, you might have to just go along with it, at least for a while, assuming it's some kind of nwo/government lockdown event.

I have plenty of firearms. I have a solid supply of easily packed and carried food and water. I have my bugout bag, and I have plenty of hunting experience. I've had small gardens and understand the basics of it. I'm physically fit enough to survive. I'm in Alaska, I could disappear forever if I wanted to. Whether that means I got off the grid or just died to exposure...well, weather can be an unpredictable pain at times.

So sure: I figure I'd do okay. Oh wait, I have a daughter, she's only eleven. Everything changes with her in the equation. We couldn't move as far in a single day. Food wouldn't last as long. The deep snow I can push through, she'd be at chest height in.

The simple truth is I can't just rush off and drag her with me expecting to work out perfectly. If needed I'll try. I've taught her what I can, but it's not as much as I'd like to have admittedly, for a variety of reasons. The best recourse might be to hunker down and move far more cautiously or just wait certain things out.

If the government marched in and started implementing the whole martial law thing, or the nwo, or any of the numerous other fears, what would I do then?

Lots of people say they will go out guns blazing. I could. I could probably take a fair few with me. That doesn't help my daughter in the slightest.

"Better to die on your feet than live on your knees." Better for me maybe. Not better for my daughter. Nor do I think her watching me die in a bloody moment of martyrdom is going to help her much. It might, but I'd rather live to teach her then teach her through being a martyr.

So, just my own thoughts on the matter. I'm as ready as I reasonably can be for events that I don't fully suspect will happen. However I know that having just my kiddo to worry about changes a lot of things. Add a wife and multiple kids in? I don't know...

There is this other thing too: Some people here are so paranoid that I think their own mistrust of everything would lock them down into a state of inaction.
edit on 2-10-2013 by UnmitigatedDisaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

offhand,I think I'd fare a bit better than most,just due to my outdoor skills,camping,hunting,and fishing.I think most of the preppers you see on TV are worried about the zombie biker hordes! I love that phrase! I don't have 500 pounds of rice,beans,wheat and 10 bazillion rounds of ammo and 37 "main battle rifle's".If I need that much of anything,we all won't last too long.Too many are way too concerned about politic's,rather than a big SHTF like an asteroid or a super volcano.A Gov't shutdown has no effect on me or my family,so it's a non issue.Any monetary collapse or political issue won't stop me from getting $$ or living.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Ats would have zero to do with my survival. Being prepared is just good prudent way to live. Prepare for the worst & hope for the best. Food, water, shelter, protection. If the tshtf tomorrow, I would be ok for about a year. Along with my family. We live rural, have a mountain property..... so remote I forget how to get there!!

Thru the years Ive made plans for many a different scenario. It is now a lifestyle for me & mine. I really dont worry about it anymore as Ive prepared as much as I can prepare. But the reality is is a real SHTF scenario hit tomorrow about 7 out of 10 want have a clue as what to do. They want last very long.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
This website will have nothing to do with who does and doesn't survive. But the people on here will have an advantage I believe because most of us don't believe the crap we get spoon fed from TV and the govt.
That feeling of paranoia keep most of us aware of our surrounding and more realistic to what can happen. Depending on how bad the shtf will matter also. Worst case will necessitate a ruthless response and that will determine who lives and dies.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The Doomsday Peppers man - that's exactly what I've been trying to say!!

Jalapenos, Habaneros, even just your average Cayenne peppers...we're screwed man, totally screwed...

Stock up on milk, you're going to need it!!

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I think it will depend on certain factors but the most obvious is whether or not you trust your government. A lot of folk will turn to them when SHTF: Looking for hand outs, shelter, clothes etc. Folk who subscribe to ATS will more than likely look to themselves to survive. I’m not saying I know the minds of anybody on ATS but the given the type of website that it is I doubt that any will go to their town hall or local military outpost in the event of a SHTF scenario.
Who would last the longest? The person in the government tent living off scraps or the person living off the land also begs the question of what kind of disaster had occurred. Personally I’d go off in to the wilderness and rely on my limited resources. I don’t have cans of baked beans stashed away but I have camping gear and the means to survive outdoors if needed. Whether or not these would see me through in the long run is another question. I try to forget the Hollywood image where folk sitting around camp fires eating deer are so prominent and look at the history books where folk spent their life learning how to farm and hunt and died very young.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by coldkidc

#. There real?

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Not sure myself but something to always keep in mind...

dandelions, insects and most tree bark is edible and nutritious.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Those that are stocked up and prepared are going to be targets for those that have guns and nothing else. In a true disaster scenario, you have to imagine the worst possible case. We see riots, looting, and lawlessness in even fairly civil situations already. Once you place a country into true anarchy, things can only get worse.

For those of you that are prepped: Where are you storing your food? Water? Growing your crops? Are you in a small town? Big city? Even 30, 40, 50, hell, 100kms out of a major hub? You will be found. Whether it is the humming of your generators or the dim lights from your candles, the smoke from your fires or the scent of cooking meat, you will be found eventually. Do you have the will to fight to defend your property?

In a situation as above, I would prefer myself to be a wanderer. Taking little with me, relying little on stored reserves, and living day to day. One day I may come across a river, from which I can fill several bottles with fresh water, the next I may find an abandoned orchard, and have time to gather fresh fruits or vegetables.

To answer the OP's original question though: Hell no. Talking about "the end", planning for it, it's all futile. The situation will denote the response, and without that information, no amount of forethought can predict the outcome.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   

kronos11

The inner bark, roasted and ground into a flour...BOOM, instant johnny cakes for all.

Shrooms, cattails (not the hotdog looking stuff), tubers...no need for vitamin's and easy to get.

Only downer would be a lack of vitamin Boozamin... Times will be hard.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   

My impression is ATS'ers are so paranoid they all freak out and commit suicide. But if the SHTF and world chaos occurs I'd rather be behind the fan than in front of it.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
You can be trained to survive anything but bad luck and stupidity.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

ChuckNasty

kronos11

The inner bark, roasted and ground into a flour...BOOM, instant johnny cakes for all.

Shrooms, cattails (not the hotdog looking stuff), tubers...no need for vitamin's and easy to get.

Only downer would be a lack of vitamin Boozamin... Times will be hard.

Out of curiosity, how would you roast and grind tree bark into a flour when in a survival situation? (I can understand long term where life is surviving, but please let me know a short term solution)

Shrooms and cattails are very regional, along with the knowledge of their uses. Agreed with vitamin Booze =) though that is also made here using a yeast byproduct of a plant root

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
If"SHTF"this site would go down like every other.However,as ATS has eyes and ears everywhere,we might have a for warning of impending trouble.There's plenty of military members here,remember.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join