It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Solar Filament Rupture Last Night September 29, 2013

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Good morning to those in my part of the world!
According to this video, last night we had a large Solar Filament Rupture, this video shows time lapsed footage.

I cannot verify the authenticity of this occurrence. I have looked for other news sources about it, but have not found any. This video was posted only a few hours ago.

Can anyone out there verify this? EDIT: VERIFIED
If it is true it coincides nicely with the many larger scale earthquakes recently, and Comet Ison approaching tomorrow!!

For those not aware what a filament rupture is:

"Filaments are formed in magnetic loops that hold relatively cool, dense gas suspended above the surface of the Sun," explains David Hathaway, a solar physicist at the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center. "When you look down on top of them they appear dark because the gas inside is cool compared to the hot photosphere below. But when we see a filament in profile against the dark sky it looks like a giant glowing loop -- these are called prominences and they can be spectacular."

Filaments last for a few weeks or months. The gas in a filament will eventually move to a different layer in the Sun and will no longer be visible in an image of the chromosphere. But at the same time, other gas may move into the chromosphere and create a new filament someplace else. The birth and death of filaments is a mystery and the subject of ongoing study by solar scientists.

Have a Great Sun Shiny Day

edit on 30-9-2013 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-9-2013 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
So will this affect us here on earth? Are all of those dark spots we have seen lately areas where this is going to expand?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
GOES particlesreply to post by Starwise

particles

dose at 11kl

Maybe great night to see auras , not so great to be on space station.

edit on 30-9-2013 by donlashway because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
according to spaceweather.com it may have an earth directed component. I check that site first thing when I turn on the computer every day and usually sometimes in the evening. Been doing that for many years. S&F

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Could this event tie in with the 1st October Prediction?

Or does that sound ridiculous?

Tsom87

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

Nice links thank you!
Oh HOW I would LOVE to see the Aurora Borealis

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Cool time lapse. Thanks for the video!

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This is supposed to hit earth on Oct 1 into Oct 2. Suspicious Observer puts together a pretty good summary of the event. Sept 30th

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TSOM87

Which prediction? I know that Comet Ison is to pass within like 0.07 au of Mars tonight/tomorrow! Exciting times we live in!

Keep your eye in the skies!

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Can anyone out there verify this?

Verified. According to Space Weather ...

MAGNIFICENT ERUPTION: Breaking the quiet in spectacular fashion, a magnetic filament erupted from the sun's northern hemisphere during the late hours of Sept. 29th: movie. The explosion hurled a magnificent CME into space, and it might have an Earth-directed component. Stay tuned for updates as more data from this event are analyzed.

Solar Soft

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

talklikeapirat

Can anyone out there verify this?

Verified. According to Space Weather ...

MAGNIFICENT ERUPTION: Breaking the quiet in spectacular fashion, a magnetic filament erupted from the sun's northern hemisphere during the late hours of Sept. 29th: movie. The explosion hurled a magnificent CME into space, and it might have an Earth-directed component. Stay tuned for updates as more data from this event are analyzed.

Solar Soft

THANK YOU! You just made my DAY!!!

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

My pleasure.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Link from Spaceweather.
SpaceWeather

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

antar
So will this affect us here on earth?

Just in time to light off the 9.3 West Coast of USA earthquake prediction for Thursday.
ATS Thread - 9.3 Predicted for 10/3 West Coast USA

(No, I don't think it's going to happen. But some folks think there is a connection between these Sun eruptions and earthquakes on Earth so I posted it)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

There was also a 6.8 Earthquake yesterday near New Zealand and a 5.8 long the Mid Atlantic Ridge too!! Movement is happening! Lots of shaking going on.

As far as a huge quake in the west this week, I guess we will see!!

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Well regardless of what could or maybe happen....I just brought all tomato plants inside.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

LOL!!
Nice

Gotta save dem tomaters

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

A little info to add about the time it would take for a CME to reach earth if it were directed at us:

How long does it take a CME to reach the Earth? The average distance from the Sun to the Earth is 150 million kilometers which can be written as 150 x 10^6 Km. CME's can vary in speed. They can range from 200 km/s to 1000 km/s, although typically, most of them travel at about 424 km/s (Avg 1996-1998 speed St. Cyr et al., 2000). Assuming that CME's don't accelerate or decelerate on their way from the Sun to the Earth, we can easily compute from the numbers given, the minimum travel time, the maximum travel time, as well as the average travel time. time=distance/speed So, the average time it would take a CME to get to the Earth is 98 hrs. At 1000 km/s, a CME would take 42 hrs, and at 200 km/s, a CME would take 208 hrs.

SOHO

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
So this is what scientist call "solar max?" Its little quite there with no m flare or x flare..
or there sun just save all energy to release on 1st october?
God say He will come like a thief..who know?
Nice video Op..tq so much for make my heart beating see your avatar..

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

For a bit more technical description:

A filament eruption and associated low-level solar flare (below R1 - Minor) occurred late Sunday afternoon, Sep 29th, (start of day Sep 30th UTC) producing a S2 (Moderate) solar radiation storm which remains in progress at this time. The filament eruption resulted in a coronal mass ejection (CME) that appears to be partially Earth-directed, with the potential to cause minor to moderate geomagnetic storming later this week. Further analysis of the event is in progress to determine a possible arrival time, intensity, and duration.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join