It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO over Indian Ocean last night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
See www.lexpress.mu...
and further discussion of attempts to explain it at
www.reddit.com...

Probably another rocket fuel dump?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Lol, your first link is in French, 75% of people open here wont be able to read it. It's a good thing I'm French.

Not quite sure what it is. I really don't think it's a missile though.

Anxious to see what people will come up with.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Xquizit
Lol, your first link is in French, 75% of people open here wont be able to read it. It's a good thing I'm French.

Not quite sure what it is. I really don't think it's a missile though.

Anxious to see what people will come up with.

Here's another link in French from Reunion Island,
Des centaines de Réunionnais observent un mystérieux halo blanc dans le ciel
www.zinfos974.com...

with a lively discussion.

Why don't you think it's a missile? A lot of orbital vehicles dump excess fuel after reaching orbit, they have been sparking UFO reports for decades. What makes you reject that suggestion?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

Thanks for posting the second link

And to answer your question, after looking at the video, it looks as though its stationary. If it were a missile, wouldn't it it moving? It's hard to tell.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Looks like a fuel dump but the points of light moving around/in it are interesting. Something going on in the sky, likely military.

Neat though.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Xquizit

Thanks for posting the second link

And to answer your question, after looking at the video, it looks as though its stationary. If it were a missile, wouldn't it it moving? It's hard to tell.

It's hard to tell with hand-held video, since the human is probably following the interesting light.

Further posts coming in from other islands are burning up the astronomy and space boards, and the timing and motion appears perfect for the Falcon-9 second stage fuel dump [or failed re-start].

The relevance to UFO studies might be to collect fresh eyewitness accounts and see how accurate -- or not -- they were. These are RARE events, they won't explain many unsolved cases, but they might help characterize better the link between original stimulus to perception to recollection.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

JimOberg
Further posts coming in from other islands are burning up the astronomy and space boards, and the timing and motion appears perfect for the Falcon-9 second stage fuel dump [or failed re-start].

Yes.

It was part of the launch of the Falcon 9, launched from Vandenberg AFB at 1600 UT Sep 29. A whole list of associated objects are displayed on the current list of recent launches on celestrak.com You can read all about the launch and its outcome on spaceflightnow.com... , clicking on the mission link to see the details. After deploying all its passenbers the upper stage was supposed to ignite again to demonstrate its ability to restart . Given the number of objects associated with 2012 55 it looks to me like it exploded. What Serge saw was of course the 3rd stage and after the failure of the second burn, I suspect

And...

Assuming the reported time is MUT, then the objects from yesterday's launch by SpaceX, from California, were passing at about the time, and on the path described. I suspect the phenomenon was due to venting of unused fuel from the 2nd stage of the rocket, perhaps related to a manoeuvre to reduce the perigee of the orbit.

Twenty (20) objects from that launch have been catalogued by the US Air Force. The first is 13055A / 39265. It is too soon to be certain which one is the rocket. All were still fairly close together at the time of the observation, but only the rocket could produce the phenomenon.

The orbit passed near the tail of Scorpio near 20:59 MUT, a little later than reported, but reasonably close if it was estimated after the fact.

All of the pieces passed near the apogee of their somewhat elliptical (~300 X ~1500 km) orbits during the time of the observation. It was their second passage through apogee after launch. If it was intended to reduce the perigee of the rocket's orbit to hasten its re-entry, then the manoeuvre most likely would have been planned for an apogee. So it is possible that the phenomenon was at least in part related to such a manoeuvre.

Thanks to Ted Molczan ... once more time.

Source

edit on 30-9-2013 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-9-2013 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Interesting picture. I would love to see something like this!

Also, Reddit is saying it is propellant from the Falcon 9 upper stage after it failed to restart the engine.
edit on 30-9-2013 by tport17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

I will never understand why you behave this way. You're a professional and when using your credentials while posting you shouldn't be trolling. It's not a UFO, you know exactly what it is... grow up.

ETA: Any other ordinary member would be banned for such, in fact one was for presenting a picture that had been used as proof of alien craft, but it's debunking was not well known... he did it as an educational exercise, unlike you, you seem to get your jollies off making people look like fools. I hope you're banned.
edit on 30-9-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
The object was also observed all across Southern Africa, and experts confirm that it was the Falcon rocket.

An object seen in the sky across the country on Sunday was a rocket and not a UFO as it was widely believed, a satellite tracking expert said on Monday.

"What happened was that at 6pm our time yesterday [Sunday] a rocket, called Falcon, was launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California and carrying several satellites," said Greg Roberts, a retired astronomer from Cape Town.

"The rocket was designed by a company called Spacex which has former South African Elon Musk as founder and chief designer."

Roberts said the rocket was launched southwards from California towards the south polar regions, which it passed over.

It started heading northwards again and just east of South Africa.

"Shortly after 7pm it apparently either vented or released rocket fuel still in its fuel tanks as the basic mission of placing several satellites in orbit had been achieved while over the Antarctic region and this produced the large halo-like object that people saw."

Source + More

And a home video:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This is so easy to look crazy to unsuspecting people that have no knowledge of the procedure.

It's like magic tricks, once you learn the secret, a bit of the magic disappears lol.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

When I saw on the bbc website this morning that SpaceX had launched their Falcon 9 rocket I kind of expected this thread .... wonder why

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Kali74

I will never understand why you behave this way. You're a professional and when using your credentials while posting you shouldn't be trolling. It's not a UFO, you know exactly what it is... grow up.

ETA: Any other ordinary member would be banned for such, in fact one was for presenting a picture that had been used as proof of alien craft, but it's debunking was not well known... he did it as an educational exercise, unlike you, you seem to get your jollies off making people look like fools. I hope you're banned

The object was widely reported as a UFO, and from my first message it was clear what I thought it might be -- but didn't have any proof.

These events are critical to a proper understanding of the UFO phenomenon, IMHO, because they are a unique opportunity to calibrate the eyewitnessing process for any anomalous apparition.

I can understand why some people who already know all they want to know about UFOs would want such a better understanding, banned. I am a guest here and certainly submit to accepted terms of participation.

I suggest your idea that getting first-impression reports from witnesses is a trick to 'make fools' of them reflects an extremely serious misunderstanding of the UFO perceptual process. It's not the fools and morons and bumpkins that see more UFOs, and misperception is more often a sign of superior experience and intelligence, not the other way around. Or would you like that notion to be banned from polite company as well?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

SpaceX - Falcon 9
The cloud is from propellant leaking out.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

In my humble opinion things man made do not manage to form such perfectly symmetrical geometric shapes in the sky. This shape looks to me like the powerful torus shape (doughnut) on which the power generating torodial (spelling?) coil of Nicola Tesla is based.

I know this is a high shot and a far fetched theory but my gut says: not man made at all.

Thanks for posting! Sorry I missed it. Probably would not have been visible from my station anyway. Are you in Durbs or somewhere on the North coast?

Howzit JimO,
A from Joburg!

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

JimOberg
See ...

Pffffffffft

Shamey on you Oberg.

Arouet - Thinks professionals who act like children ought to be banned.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
This announcement from Carlos Tavares has been sent out
for unlimited circulation. It certainly is an alternate viewpoint!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 6:03 PM
Subject: mass sighting last night

SINGLE BIGGEST UFO SIGHTING OVER SOUTHERN AFRICA SO FAR!

by Carlos Tavares

Reports have been coming in with details of an unusual large moving object appearing in the sky in the early evening of the 29th September 2013. These reports were sent in from locations across the country and all reporting that they saw it at the same time.

Picture from Durban

Here is my personal experience of this event:
”Waterberg, Limpopo, South Africa, at about 19h00 29th Sept 2013: My neighbours phone, shouting for me to go outside. As I walked out the door, I could see it immediately. It was extremely large, several times larger than the full-moon size. Clearly in the centre you could see what looked like a very bright star, surrounded by a massive halo - like a perfectly round cloud following the inner star - but in the centre you could see the "star" clearly. It moved from South to North. It slowed down a lot as it came overhead, almost stopping completely and the total sighting was a few minutes long as I had time to go in and out the house three times to fetch my camera, my tripod and then my binoculars, bearing in mind that it was already half way through the sky when I got to see it. Then it once again picked up speed and continued to the North, and then the so called cloud changed shape completely and became flattened then gradually disappeared. You certainly got the sense that this was all very deliberate and it was meant to be seen. I phoned my friend who happened to be in Krugersdorp, which is West of Johannesburg, some 200km south of here. They were reporting the exact same thing there too. “

Picture from the Free State

Following up on what I had just seen, reports were coming in from the entire country on the internet:

North West Province, Durban, Welkom, Betheleum, others in the Free State, East London, Jeffreys Bay, Roodepoort, Pretoria, Johannesburg, Sun City and Botswana.

I am sure there would have been even more reports as large parts of the Eastern side of South Africa were totally overcast and experiencing rain at the time. There were even reports from as far afield as Mauritius and Malawi!

This “youtube” has been posted from Mauritius: www.youtube.com...

All were reporting the same thing. Here are some comments from the reports: (again, you may want to cite the sites where you got the comments from)

“bluish white halo, travelling slow”
“aura growing in diameter up to seven times in size”, for about ten minutes.
“seemed to be little stars in the nucleus bouncing around”
East London airport apparently picked up nothing on Radar
“haze got bigger and bigger and dimmer”
“when we came inside the dstv was jumping channels on its own”
“the size of a full moon”
“silently moving”

When you first looked at this object it was as if you were looking at the full moon through some clouds, which often then makes a “halo” as well. Where the skies were clear including my sighting, the halo was only around this single moving very bright star, so the rest of the stars in the sky were in perfect view.

Picture from North West

All the pictures and videos taken do not do justice to the sighting. In them you see an object more or less the size of an average full moon, but in reality it was so much bigger, like an optical illusion. It was so captivating and exciting to watch.

The timing was also perfect in that if this was a very intentional sighting to further acclimatize us to ET presence. If it was even was a craft of some sort, around the time of 19h00, you would have the most people seeing it, as it has just gotten dark. Any later and most people would be indoors, probably watching TV. When you looked at the object it was almost as if there was a dimensional aspect to it, seemingly becoming bigger but with a benevolent feel to it all.

UFO and other strange phenomena sightings like fire-balls have massively increased recently. The “gears” so to speak have changed. More and more people are seeing and awakening to the greater reality that we are not alone and have never been.

We can expect to see more and more such phenomena until soon we will have full open contact.

IT IS TIME!

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Here's the story posted on msnbc.com

www.nbcnews.com...

new topics

top topics

join