It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Osborne Unveils Tough New Rules For Jobless

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

And now you are judging me with no information about my circumstances..

After having worked for 25 years, paying all of my taxes, I developed a serious illness, which has hospitalised me on several occasions and has meant that I am now on long term medication, which basically switches off my immune system to stop it from attacking me. I live in constant pain, although since going onto the new medication, I am showing signs of improvement.

I used all of my savings prior to claiming any benefits and also support my 19 yr old student daughter, for whom I cannot claim any money. My ex husband has not contributed one penny throughout her life and prior to my illness I have never claimed anything for her, I worked and supported her myself.

Bottom line I cannot afford to move. However, as soon as my health improves, I will be working again and my first priority will be to move myself and my daughter out of this crap hole.

ETA I went for an ATOS assessment and they did declare that I was unfit to work currently but I was placed in the Work related activity group, which supports me to find employment in the future when my health improves, so all of the nonsense about ATOS claiming everyone is fit to work is also untrue..if you are genuinely ill, you will be supported.

edit on 30-9-2013 by destination now because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Excellent!!!! I WISH I COULD WRITE LIKE YOU TRUEBRIT!!

HX

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

They should bring in compulsory drugs tests too, why should our taxes fund smackheads habits.

Yes lets do that... but do not forget the politicians too, we pay are taxes to keep them in office. I think some of the drug laws would change then.
But the proposed idea is rubbish. The jobs are not there. So why force people to work doing pointless stuff. when there are no jobs.
Again this is just a tactic to vilify the common man. Peeps if you want to villify anyone it should be the bankers and politicians. They are the ones who got us in this mess and the ones that have leached the money..

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

i think flavian in the last post there by true brit sums up what needed to be said on the subject....i was implying that there was a fair sum of ignorance on the post i was replying to...but thankyou for showing us where you stand on this issue

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by tridentblue

I think its smart and could work. Right now people don't want to hire unemployed, only employed. So get unemployed working at anything, learning new skills and staying active. Welfare checks should subsidize pay, so businesses can get their labor cheap, and start thinking in terms of creating jobs. unemployed will have no gaps in resume

Yes like sweeping floors and scurbbings looks real good on a cv and is fantastic work experience. You are defending the creation of an underclass. If the jobs are not there. They are not there and no amount of floor sweeping is going to help

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   

hopenotfeariswhatweneed
reply to post by Flavian

i think flavian in the last post there by true brit sums up what needed to be said on the subject....i was implying that there was a fair sum of ignorance on the post i was replying to...but thankyou for showing us where you stand on this issue

You clearly didn't read my earlier post then, where I did talk about the lack of manufacturing in this country, however, we can't just blame the govt for that, we, the consumers want our cheap imports and are not prepared to pay the cost of UK manufactured goods, so we therefore must take some of the responsibility for that ourselves.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
"Arbeit Macht Frei" Anyone...

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by destination now

What a load of trollocks...the majority of fat people I see in the high street are the unemployed mothers of 6 children to 6 different fathers, generally covered in tattoos, complete with cigarette hanging out of their mouths...go to their home and you'll see the 50" tv, complete with satellite system and all of their kids dressed in designer clothing..

Thats one of the most ignorant, classicist statements I have ever read on ATS..wdu..

I totally agree with that, sadly though relying on benefits as a lifestyle choice and is spreading out from the few hardcore unemployable types to a larger section of the community. That, I'm sure you will agree needs to be stopped in it's tracks, because lets face it, it's hardly a good life is it?

and who are you to judge what a good life is. What is so much better in your life. You are defending the creation of an underclass. Yes think you are better than these peeps if you wish. You will not feel so clever when you or your children are standing next to them with a broom in hand working for £60 a week.

Stop vilifying the common man. He is no different to you. If you want to vilify someone go for the bankers and politicians that have leached the working man dry...

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   

hang on im confused are you saying that you represent the vast amount of consumers.....??....your situation sux and i feel bad for you...well done for raising your daughter as best you can under these extreme circumstances.....unfortunately for you and many others alike has been repeated over and over its not the unemployed that are screwing up the economy its the rich and the mega rich...what you hear on the msm is simply their contrived views... the media were bought out long ago and need to dictate what thier masters tell them to.....i assume u did not get my orwell quote?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Soloprotocol
"Arbeit Macht Frei" Anyone...
but they had a autoban that was the envy of the world

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Our Government for the last 30 years has had a policy of deliberate unemployment and has methodically stripped all the systems people fought for to protect employment such as sick pay, holiday pay decent working conditions etc. having reduced our labour force to expecting ludicrous contracts with no security of employment and at as cheap a rate as possible, they have gained the best they can for the corporations whom they have aided in getting rid of the small oppositions so they can turn themselves into huge multinationals who often don't even pay taxes into this country. But their lists of shareholders and executives will probably reveal political names from our own parlaiment.

I was surprised when we had students to learn that if in the 1970's one was unemployed in Germany for over six months one could apply for retraining. I had a student who had been a brick layer who was, when he came here, a university student doing a degree whilsgt getting his benefit. He was made redundant and his aptitude had been tested and on he went for re education. Now in this country, you could not retrain because - "You will be unavailable for work". This is what has created our unemployment simply proved by the fact that when you listen to employers with jobs that will lead to decent wages/salaries, they can't find the skills so they have to import them.

Its our unemployment system of not retraining that has led to up to three generations of workless people. Some agreed with wriggle out of any job. I knew a bloke out of the Navy who owed so much on the NAFFI bill that he still had to repay. He dodged work merely to dodge his financial situation and now he has married his fourth wife and is a carer for her as she has diabetis so he's off the hook or was unless they have changed something.

I seem to remember two jags being involved with a company employing immigrants working in agriculture who were paying peanuts so some of our PTB also benefit from this system, if not, indirectly - many more.

What its about for a lot of people is dignity and we are being robbed of this because our government only seems to want to protect the City and its interests. It tells us manufacturing etc is dead and we should accdept this. Looking at Germany we know that's not true. We do need to get out from the EU and its restrictions and huge costs. But anyone doubting we would loose jobs as the politicians tell us is stupid, because with our huge market, does anyone think Germany would not trade with us and all the other countries in the EU, we are too big and easy a market for them to loose. (similar to the Banks) We also are one of the most innovative peoples in the world but due to a lack of investment here at a rate that needed, our dignity is and will be compromised.

The money peoploe get for being unemployed, disability benefit and especially our pensions, considering we are supposedly one of the wealthiest countries in the world are pitiful and inadequate, especially for all the wealth our hard work has earned the super rich of this country.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   

purplemer

What a load of trollocks...the majority of fat people I see in the high street are the unemployed mothers of 6 children to 6 different fathers, generally covered in tattoos, complete with cigarette hanging out of their mouths...go to their home and you'll see the 50" tv, complete with satellite system and all of their kids dressed in designer clothing..

Thats one of the most ignorant, classicist statements I have ever read on ATS..wdu..

I totally agree with that, sadly though relying on benefits as a lifestyle choice and is spreading out from the few hardcore unemployable types to a larger section of the community. That, I'm sure you will agree needs to be stopped in it's tracks, because lets face it, it's hardly a good life is it?

and who are you to judge what a good life is. What is so much better in your life. You are defending the creation of an underclass. Yes think you are better than these peeps if you wish. You will not feel so clever when you or your children are standing next to them with a broom in hand working for £60 a week.

Stop vilifying the common man. He is no different to you. If you want to vilify someone go for the bankers and politicians that have leached the working man dry...

But it's no less true than the statement that I was replying to claiming that all unemployed people are thin and gaunt...of course they aren't...that is complete trollocks and you know it.

I am not vilifying the common man, where did you get that idea? I do have an issue with people who have no intention of ever working and women who produce child after child in order to receive benefits. I only ever had one child because I could not have afforded to have any more, but sadly there is a section of the community that see reproduction as a career and until recently could earn over £35000 per year just in tax credits and child benefit...that's just wrong and if you think that I'm making this up, then it is you who are deluded and not looking at the reality.

And I don't see how I am defending the creation of an underclass, what I am saying is that if we accepted that we have to pay more for goods manufactured in this country rather than importing cheap products from China there would be more employment..yes we would probably have to do without a tv in every room and 4 different games consoles and a new mobile phone every 6 months, but it would be worth it in the long run, because we would have a growing economy.

Also I highly doubt my daughter will be standing with a broom in her hand, that is why she is focusing on her education, it means that we don't have much money this now, but she is investing in her future and she realises that you don't get something for nothing, a lesson that more people should take to heart. And before you say it, yes some graduates don't immediately find employment, and some of them...shock horror...may have to take a lower paid job to get them started, but a person with a hard work ethic who is prepared to give 100% to their future will soon move up the ladder.

I realise that there are many people on this forum who believe that there is a different way and that we shouldn't be wage slaves etc, but often they fail to see the irony that they are typing on this forum on a cheap imported computer/mobile device and benefiting from access to the internet and how do they think it would really work if that system was dismantled. Not saying it is perfect, obviously it isn't but what alternatives are there currently?

For the record, I also hate the cheating bankers, but sitting around moaning about them isn't going to change anything is it, yet again, we have no alternative system, so it's better to make the most of what we have right now and just knuckle down and get on with what we have got to do to feed our families and make the best of our lives.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Unfortunately, i've found myself unemployed twice since 2013.

On the first occasion, i managed to get 2 part-time night shifts in petrol stations. Combined, these made up about 30 hours per week. I stayed in this job about 4 months until i could secure something better.

On the second occasion, i went to work at a tele-sales office. I absolutely hated it but it was better than being unemployed. Fortunately, i was only there about a month until i found another job.

The jobs are out there. They may not be what you want to do and they may not pay the money that you're used to but they are out there. It may even mean travelling further than you want to but if there were no benefits, you'd find a job soon enough. The important thing is to get back on the ladder, because employers are more likely to employ you if you can show that you've been doing something and that you actually want to work.

I think this initiative is a great idea. I think you'll see the unemployed figures drop significantly, which will give an accurate idea of who genuinely can't get a job and who is having a free ride. The unfortunate aspect is that taxes won't reduce as a result. It will just be more expenses that the MP's will find a way to get their grubby paws on.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Unfortunately, i've found myself unemployed twice since 2013.

On the first occasion, i managed to get 2 part-time night shifts in petrol stations. Combined, these made up about 30 hours per week. I stayed in this job about 4 months until i could secure something better.

On the second occasion, i went to work at a tele-sales office. I absolutely hated it but it was better than being unemployed. Fortunately, i was only there about a month until i found another job.

The jobs are out there. They may not be what you want to do and they may not pay the money that you're used to but they are out there. It may even mean travelling further than you want to but if there were no benefits, you'd find a job soon enough. The important thing is to get back on the ladder, because employers are more likely to employ you if you can show that you've been doing something and that you actually want to work.

I think this initiative is a great idea. I think you'll see the unemployed figures drop significantly, which will give an accurate idea of who genuinely can't get a job and who is having a free ride. The unfortunate aspect is that taxes won't reduce as a result. It will just be more expenses that the MP's will find a way to get their grubby paws on.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

It is after being unemployed for 2 years that they will enforce this scheme, not 3 years.

Believe me it is very easy to be unemployed for 2 years, I am nearly at the 2 year mark myself and not for the want of working. I have worked from the age of sixteen and this is the longest that I have ever been unemployed, I have been applying for jobs that I wouldn't even have considered ten years ago ( cleaners,domestics etc ) but what little jobs that do arise here are not only inundated with applicants they usually end up going to the younger ones. I feel like the longer I am out of work the less chance I have of being employed so I have even taken to lying on application forms saying that I am not jobless for as long as I have been.

People need to not assume that just because someone is eligible for this scheme it means that they do not want to work because there is plenty that really would love nothing more!
edit on 30-9-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Wrong, you have to be unemployed for one year before going on the work programme, which you are then on for two years...makes 3 years unemployment in total.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Being older I can remeber a time when if you left a job on Friday you started a new one on Tuesday. Those days were before the computer arrived and we had lots of smaller businesses. The world has been hijacked and all the choice and opportunities have been leaking out from both our countries.

Unless we can start the smaller businesses up again with the necessary funding we will only be left with huge multi's who ship their profit making schemes to the cheapest deliverer and are careful not to pay tazxes in any country that could rise again to be a competitor. Germany had a much better political system with a number of parties whom protected the German interests and kept investment in its industries.

If we left the EU we could utilise tht money for investment where needed and start again, which is the only option our politicians have left us. Any foreign invetment means it could go at any time but home investment is a safer choice. We have so many graduates leaving university we should somewhere produce some enterpreneurs surely. I know the Germans and Europeans would never cease to trade with us because we are such a huge and easily acceessible market and still wealthy countries.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   

I am not vilifying the common man, where did you get that idea? I do have an issue with people who have no intention of ever working and women who produce child after child in order to receive benefits. I only ever had one child because I could not have afforded to have any more, but sadly there is a section of the community that see reproduction as a career and until recently could earn over £35000 per year just in tax credits and child benefit...that's just wrong and if you think that I'm making this up, then it is you who are deluded and not looking at the reality.

These idiotic women are going to have more children now because of this new scheme. Instead of taking part in it they will get pregnant again so as to avoid having to work. It will worsen the problem.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Shiloh7

Yes, I totally agree, and we the people, have a responsibility not to consume from these large companies, we need to stop buying cheap imports, we have to support small local businesses, but that does come at a cost, which many people are sadly not prepared to pay, and they would rather have a new phone every 6 months, than do without and spend that money supporting UK businesses.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Not with the introduction of Universal credit they can't where all benefits are lumped together with a maximum payable of £500 per week (includes rent, council tax, child benefit, tax credit, JSA etc)

So fortunately that gravy train has been halted.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join