It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Groups Sue to Stop Schools from Adopting Science Standards

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

. Christian groups filed a pair of lawsuits in Federal District Court challenging the Kansas state Board of Education’s decision to implement a state-wide set of science standards. On June 11, the Kansas state Board of Education adopted a universal set of science standards to be taught in classrooms across the state from kindergarten to grade 12. Faith groups are up in arms that their beliefs are not being given more credence in science classes.

According to a statement on the Pacific Justice Institute’s website, the teaching of science in all of the state’s public schools could create “a hostile learning environment for those of faith.” The institute — which purports to defend “religious freedom, parental rights and other civil liberties” — is challenging the fact that the new science standards do not give equal weight to the Christian creation myth.

The suit alleges that the new standards will “promote religious beliefs that are inconsistent with the theistic religious beliefs of plaintiffs, thereby depriving them of the right to be free from government that favors one religious view over another.” The group asked the court to place an injunction on the implementation of Next Generation Science Standards and the corresponding lesson plan handbook, Framework for K-12 Science Education: Practices, Crosscutting Concepts and Core Ideas.

Another group, the Citizens for Objective Public Education (COPE, Inc.) filed suit on Sep. 26 demanding that the new curricula not be instituted. In a press release, CORE said that the science standards would “will have the effect of causing Kansas public schools to establish and endorse a non-theistic religious worldview,” which the group said is a violation of the First and Fourteenth Amendments of the U.S. Constitution.

Brad Dachus of Pacific Justice complained that is a violation of a child’s rights to teach them that Creationism isn’t the truth.

“(I)t’s an egregious violation of the rights of Americans to subject students — as young as five — to an authoritative figure such as a teacher who essentially tells them that their faith is wrong,” he said.

He maintained that to teach science “that is devoid of any alternative which aligns with the belief of people of faith is just wrong.”

COPE, Inc. said that the science standards have a “concealed Orthodoxy” that is bent on undermining the views of the faithful.

“The Orthodoxy is not religiously neutral as it permits only materialistic/atheistic answers to ultimate religious questions,” said the group’s statement. The group maintained that questions like “Where do we come from?” can only be answered honestly by religious dogma.

The statement went on to say that “teaching the materialistic/atheistic ideas to primary school children whose minds are susceptible to blindly accepting them as true” is unconstitutional and dangerous, and therefore the new science standards must be stopped. .

Found a working link original story is linked inHere

Ok just WOW. I am wondering what these new science standards are. Maybe they list a few facts like dinosaurs and humans did not live at the same time. Does anyone think their lawsuit will hold up in court? Obviously some groups have a fear of science.
edit on 29-9-2013 by Grimpachi because: Link problems

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

I think those are fake though haha

just thought it looks like a fun video to watch on this subject.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Let them go to court the creationists have tried and failed before and will fail again.
If it doesn't then it is up to the people who have a brain to fight these idiots.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Ahhhh Sooooooo

one RELIGION [of scientism]

is suing about

another RELIGION

taking more strong armed !CONTROL! of the public indoctrination system.

There's a good thread on here that I don't have a handy link to . . . about the fallacies of "settled science."

The Bishops of the religion of scientism are no less narrow, rigid, authoritarian, willfully blind etc. than those they accuse of the same in the Christian camp.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

The scientific community has something to back themselves up though...it's called the scientific method for checking facts.
Religion has no facts where as science has, religion has faith which does not equal truth, science has facts which are truths.
Oh and that thread was blown outa the water by facts...better luck next time eh?.

Sometimes Bo (most of the time) I think you want the world to go backwards to 1812 where burning people who question Religion would be seen as ok.
edit on 29-9-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Nope.

Not at all.

Idiocy based on faulty or wrong biases is still idiocy regardless on whose part it rests.

You seem to think that the religion of scientism has no idiocy.

Now THAT is hilarious.

I think it may be a toss up as to which field has more FACTS.

Ultimately, I have no doubt . . . at the present in terms of

"objectively proven" facts . . . I still think it's Christianity but it could be a toss-up.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Who ever wrote this article obviously has a bias..

challenging the fact that the new science standards do not give equal weight to the Christian creation myth.

The article also fails to mention what parts of these science standards exactly the "Christian groups" are suing over. It seems to me that the article is intentionally being misleading, by that I mean, I don't find it likely that they would sue over proven and generally accepted science standards, but rather something specific, probably along the lines of say, Evolutionism.

Now, I'm not saying one is a better belief than the other, but theres is no proven physical evidence for either argument, neither is 100% provable. With that said, I don't think anything that isn't proven should be taught in schools. Then it becomes just teaching ideas, or, propaganda.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Brad Dachus of Pacific Justice complained that is a violation of a child’s rights to teach them that Creationism isn’t the truth.

So I guess the parents can't teach their own kids hard enough that God did it. Shouldn't good Christians be able to tell their kids what's really what and shouldn't their kids believe them?

Is teaching any science at all out of bounds? Where do you draw the line? (rhetorical)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
It all rather reminds me of:

VROOMFONDEL:
Alright. I am Vroomfondel, and that is not a demand! That is a solid fact! What we demand is solid facts!

MAJIKTHISE: No we don’t! That’s precisely what we don’t demand.

VROOMFONDEL: Oh. We don’t demand solid fact! What we demand is a total absence of solid facts!
I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel.

VROOMFONDEL:
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

The statement went on to say that “teaching the materialistic/atheistic ideas to primary school children whose minds are susceptible to blindly accepting them as true” is unconstitutional and dangerous, and therefore the new science standards must be stopped.

I'm not seeing how it is unconstitutional to teach presently known science in school. Those sciences help children to understand that the technology we take for granted today didn't just magically appear by faith. It came about because men and women of the sciences studied, researched, experimented, observed, and formulated foundational theories on which to base that technology.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I wonder when Morals and Principles fell into decline?

When Corporal punishment was banned in most public schools, or the lack of God or religion, its being banned because of politically correct thinking, or the push to make everything a "scientific" model?

These are sincere questions I ask actually.

I dont have any research to back my theoretical claim, but I do see some sort of correlation, along with the nuclear family disintegrating in America.

edit on 29-9-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I think it was Rock n Roll that did it.
I'm sure of it.

Jungle music.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. I can't say I think it's anything that new, I grew up in Texas.

www.dallasnews.com...

This is like reading Homer's "Odyssey" in place of "Origin of a Species".

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Given the changes in

"orthodox 'science' " over the decades and centuries . . .

it's fine with me if folks say . . .

"This is our current understanding . . . . based on . . . "

However, even now, there are elements of the scientific community that assert that much of our physics texts and other conventional science is out of date to brazenly untrue.

Essentially, we do not, as laymen, KNOW

which currently taught science is horribly inaccurate and wrong just based on secret science 50 years in advance of what's conventionally known.

Yet, probably MOST priests and bishops of "science" speak of a list of THEORIES as though they were

ABSOLUTE CARDINAL DOCTRINE FACTS.

And to institutionalize such falsehoods with INDOCTRINATED LAW

AS THOUGH the theories were ABSOLUTE FACT

is as horrible, certainly to some of us, as it would be for you if we insisted that the schools teach that XYZ Christian cardinal doctrines were absolute fact.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Ok.

But that's not how I remember my science classes actually went.
I mean. A lot of it is obviously FACT! Right? An object near Earth's surface actually will accelerate at 32 ft/sec2, won't it?

But I never had evolution rammed down my throat. It was presented as science backed by evidence. These...people...don't want their kids to even hear about it.

edit on 9/29/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You know there was a good group of society that did blame it on rock and roll.

I have yet to see society blame science and technology, but the questions I ask do pose an interesting thought to why our society have become as degenerate as our previous ones or even worse at times. You would think with all the science and progress, humans cant get over the hump of enlightening ourselves. I guess the science of building a better, more lethal ways of killing each other is the only science we humans are forced to enjoy in the long run.

I'm hoping for a breakthrough.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

There is a fine line between speculation and undeniable proof. I have not seen any solid proof.
I'm not talking about evolution specifically, because that does not contradict other beliefs (as far as I know).

But evolution alone does not prove how we came to be. It hasn't been proven that we didn't just evolve as prehistoric humans to adapt to changing environment instead of evolving from prehistoric animals like apes, to humans.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kx12x

It hasn't been proven that we didn't just evolve as prehistoric humans to adapt to changing environment instead of evolving from prehistoric animals like apes, to humans.

We are apes.
Smart ones.

Chimpanzees are also apes. Not as smart.
edit on 9/29/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I think it's silly, absurd and counter productive to try and insist that folks are not exposed to notions that are widely held in the culture--regardless of the validity of such notions.

Yeah, I'd agree, some things seem to be rather solidly known and repeatedly replicatable.

And, I didn't have a lot of scientific theory rammed down my throat as solid irrefutable facts either. But I had decent teachers.

The globalist oligarchy is changing all that. . . . wholesale, rapidly and Draconian-ly. I don't actually think that fingers in the dike will stem that tide much at all, long at all. Though I'm all for doing what can be done toward that goal.

The ultimate goal WILL BE to insist that the Dark Lord is THE GOD OF ALL to be worshiped as all. Those cheering on the new age; the NWO; etc. etc. etc. will realize AT THAT POINT and not likely before

that they bet on the very wrong horse.

Even now the CONSTITUTION has begun to be rewritten--even the Bill of Rights--in history text books. Revisionism is alive and well on the globalists' planet earth.

Diverse Religion will be merely the first to be killed off. Solid science will also be mangled and obliterated into oblivion as the !CONTROLLERS! maximize their control and dumb down the surviving serfs and slaves.

True science . . . like true "religion" will be tooooo dangerous--to the oligarchy's tyrannical rule--for the serfs and slaves to be exposed to.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
"We have so much faith that we refuse to have it tested!"

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join