It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near Earth Asteroid Detected only 11,000 KM from Earth

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
are we absolutely sure there is a mistranslation and the asteroid passed 11000km from earth?

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TSOM87

I have no idea but suspect it also has to do with the specific trajectory and other things such as it's specific location relative to Earth. For instance, there's some sort of opening around Earth (I forgot the name of it.) which attracts things more than the rest of the Earth.

Phage could answer better than me as this isn't one of my specialty areas.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

Of course.
But the Barringer meteor is estimated to have been as large as 50 meters and the Russian meteor was about 17 meters.

Worst case scenario: 20 meter iron asteroid with vertical atmospheric entry and a typical speed of 17 kps:

The projectile begins to breakup at an altitude of 11300 meters = 37100 ft
The projectile bursts into a cloud of fragments at an altitude of 9630 meters = 31600 ft.
The residual velocity of the projectile fragments after the burst is 6.73 km/s = 4.18 miles/s.
The energy of the airburst is 4.08 x 10^12 Joules = 0.98 x 10^-3 MegaTons.
Large fragments strike the surface and may create a crater strewn field. A more careful treatment of atmospheric entry is required to accurately estimate the size-frequency distribution of meteoroid fragments and predict the number and size of craters formed.

No major crater but great potential for damage.
www.purdue.edu...

edit on 9/29/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by desertguy

Do you realize the Arizona crater was made of an asteroid about that size.
No. There is a very big difference between a 20 meter rock and a 50 meter rock. The one being discussed is about the size of the Russian meteor. Big enough for serious damage but not a Barringer crater. It needs watching.

A difference in physical size isn't the thing to be concerned with. Density of the asteroid is what determines potential damage. A 20 meter chunk of shale won't do much to us, a 20 meter chunk of iron... Well, that would make a mess...

Just saying...

... I see now that as I was posting this, you covered that, so never mind!
edit on 29-9-2013 by PollyPeptide because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by highfreq

Pretty sure that a mistranslation is very likely.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
nobody can deny that we are seeing a huge increase
in near earth asteroids!!! just a matter of time before we get whacked again,in the near future.
never in my life has there been this many reports of fireballs and near misses, i think they..as in govt agencies know something they not tellin! be safe and god bless

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by paradiselost333

nobody can deny that we are seeing a huge increase in near earth asteroids!!!

Can't really deny that we are seeing more.

Nobody can deny that there are a lot more people looking for them. Nobody can deny that would result in more being found. That doesn't mean that there are more than there were before so many people were looking.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
11,000 Km??....that's less than the distance between London and Papua New Guinea!........either it's running late or it should be here by now!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

It has already gone by, check the bottom of page one for the info.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by 1Angrylightbulb

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks for that.
A couple of days ago then.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by paradiselost333

never in my life has there been this many reports of fireballs and near misses, i think they..as in govt agencies know something they not tellin! be safe and god bless

Or maybe there are just more cctv cameras, phone cameras, vehicle dashboard cameras, people with cameras to catch shots of meteors, fireballs etc. than there were years ago?

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yup forgot about the entry vector that is even more problematic than anything, with the proper composition and even low mass an atmospheric blast could be even more problematic than a direct impact (destruction and lasting effects) with an impact the damage is more contained as it is absorbed in part by the ground making damage localized (well if it misses an unstable fault line or a magma chamber).

The deadly combo would be having one of those rocks hit a supervulcano ready to burst, we could even be creative and point some areas that disturbance of that magnitude would create a major tsunami (soil damage in some areas by salt water from the sea could do lasting damage in some areas, more than damage to infrastructure in the long run)...

If we get into really worst case scenario there is a few man made structures that would generate major upheaval if hit, from chimerical to nuclear or any of the many large sized dams (even a indirect hit would suffice). Hitting a major city would be bad but "easily" remediated but contamination or pollution would plague us for generations...

edit on 29-9-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I see people have the opinion that the reason more are being reported is because more people are looking. I think more are being spotted and not because more people are looking but, simply because there are more to be seen. I would lean towards less people watching the skies, especially in a todays world. With so much entertainment and distractions I'm sure people dont get out to watch the stars like in the past. Just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It said within 24 hours.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Staroth

Then that would be a very slow asteroid.
I think we found the source though.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   

OrphanApology

On the level
Its not a massive threat my friend, like throwing a small pebble in a pond. Hopefully it lands on those terrorist dicks in Nigeria

Because the answer to terrorism is wishing a giant rock to destroy everyone in the area? Men, women, children, dogs and all.

no apparently the answer to terrorism is air strikes and drone strikes killing men, women, children, dogs and all.

I think he was just making a bit of a joke.

talk about grouchy

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
oops double post
edit on 30-9-2013 by Silicis n Volvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by desertguy

A nickel iron rock is a lot more dangerous then a stony meteor.
Even a small nickel iron one can cause a big hole

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Phage
The thing is, at 11,000 km. It wouldn't take long to get here. Like...20 minutes.
So how old is this supposed report. 12 hours?
I think either there was nothing there or it missed.

I think this makes this case solved ....let`s move one to the following asteroid threat
edit on 30-9-2013 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Wow, that was a close one.

I think the next question is, where did it go?

Did Earth's gravitational force fling it off into the sun or into deep space, or are we on a collision course with said asteroid sometime in the not too distant future?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join