It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near Earth Asteroid Detected only 11,000 KM from Earth

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

The report from the observatory Russian
The observation system of dangerous objects around our planet, called 'Master', has just detected an asteroid whose diameter is between 15 and 20 meters. It is an object potentially hazardous to our planet as it is only 11,000 kilometers away. This was revealed a few hours ago Lipunov Vladimir, the Lomonosov. According to this, the space rock "is moving in the direction of the Earth '. They are not, however, provide additional details, except that its size is similar to the one that fell in the Urals in the month of February.

Near Earth Asteroid Detected

It in Italian, but the translation is above. Wonder if this is what those sightings from the east coast are from.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Its not a massive threat my friend, like throwing a small pebble in a pond. Hopefully it lands on those terrorist dicks in Nigeria

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Anyone have any more news on this?

Thanks!!

s&f
edit on 29-9-2013 by Quyll because: s&f

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

On the level
Its not a massive threat my friend, like throwing a small pebble in a pond. Hopefully it lands on those terrorist dicks in Nigeria

Like hell it ain't a threat. Do you realize the Arizona crater was made of an asteroid about that size. It could very easy destroy a city like Los Angeles, or NY.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by desertguy

That's exactly why I'm wondering if anyone has any more news on this!

It's scary, but exciting at the same time.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

desertguy

On the level

Like hell it ain't a threat. Do you realize the Arizona crater was made of an asteroid about that size. It could very easy destroy a city like Los Angeles, or NY.

Holy crap

Sure hope it misses us.

link   

3..2...1.. CHEESY.
2nd

link   

Do you realize the Arizona crater was made of an asteroid about that size.
No. There is a very big difference between a 20 meter rock and a 50 meter rock. The one being discussed is about the size of the Russian meteor. Big enough for serious damage but not a Barringer crater. It needs watching.

edit on 9/29/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
The thing is, at 11,000 km. It wouldn't take long to get here. Like...20 minutes.
So how old is this supposed report. 12 hours?
I think either there was nothing there or it missed.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Phage

Do you realize the Arizona crater was made of an asteroid about that size.
No. There is a very big difference between a 20 meter rock and a 50 meter rock. The one being discussed is about the size of the Russian meteor. Big enough for serious damage but not a Barringer crater. It needs watching.

Okay good , well now I feel a little better. but it can still cause some damage as well. Just hope it stays away form Joshua Tree. Hope it lands near or in ocean.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Holy crap .....a asteroid is 11000km away from earth and appears to be heading our way ?.so am I misunderstanding the op or what?...has this been confirmed by a second source?
edit on 29-9-2013 by highfreq because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Maybe if it lands it will fall on my ex wife and her mother with any luck

Still a bit scary to think these things are heading our way though....

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

scotsdavy1
Maybe if it lands it will fall on my ex wife and her mother with any luck

Still a bit scary to think these things are heading our way though....

Hey I wish the same thing, but my ex wife is so fat it would just bounce off of here LOL.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

On the level

Because the answer to terrorism is wishing a giant rock to destroy everyone in the area? Men, women, children, dogs and all.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

OrphanApology

On the level

Because the answer to terrorism is wishing a giant rock to destroy everyone in the area? Men, women, children, dogs and all.

According to the American government it is.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
That's roughly .03 lunar distances away if my math is correct.

Do we have a name for it yet?

It has been one dirty week of these space rocks.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Trexter Ziam
That's roughly .03 lunar distances away if my math is correct.

At that distance will the earths gravity pull it in? How close dose it have to be?

Tsom87

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It is not really the size that matters but the mass and how it is structured, size does not tell much at all...

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I think it has missed

It would have hit by now

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I did some searching and found this

Absolute magnitude H=27.7 corresponds to the body of approximately 15 meters in size, similar to that of Chelyabinsk meteorite. According to Find_Orb, the object has passed about 11300 km above the Earth surface at 22:50 UT on 2013 Sep. 27 over the Indian ocean, approximately at 90E, 0N. The geocentric distance at the closest approach was thus about 17700 km, or 0.00012 AU. That puts the object at Top 5 closest approaches to the Earth by minor planets listed at www.minorplanetcenter.net...

you can check the website for more info, lots of technical stuff but it appears its info on the same event and its already gone by the earth.

Link

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join