It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Shutdown Appears to Be A Go

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

mrsdudara

MOMof3
This is going to be REAL bad Karma for the republicans.

Why is that? The republicans have given several options. Democrats will not compromise. They postponed Obamacare for big businesses, but when we asked to have it postponed for everyone they said absolutely not. Heck, the dems even took a day off on Sunday in the midst of it all. Not sure why you think this is caused by the Republicans.... Despite what Obama says, we DO get a vote. Deal with it.

You seem so confused on many fronts.

"Democrats will not compromise"

On what? The GOP in their mandate/pledge when they took the majority said they would pass only "clean" bills and not tack on extraneous demands. But hey...who actually believed they would hold to any declared principle.

Obamacare is not related to the spending that was passed and agreed upon by the GOP dominated house. they even got their sequester demands. Now that spending bill is due...but they won't pay their own bills unless they can undue a democratically passed law that has been upheld by the supreme court??? No, we should not give in to threats of economic terrorism to undue our democracy.

And as far as a vote? Are you aware that MANY GOP in congress have said they would vote for a CLEAN spending resolution??? They haven't been given the opportunity for a clean vote, because Boehner, in pandering to the 30 or so TP Congressman, has REFUSED to bring a clean spending bill to the floor for a vote.

I REPEAT...A Clean spending bill without demands has never been brought up for a vote in the House of Representatives.

Wouldn't that be a rational thing to do in a democracy? If Boehner felt that the GOP were all on the same page and needed to make their voice heard...why not put a clean spending bill up for a democratic vote? They have the majority after all, what's the risk??? The risk is that the people's will would actually be done and he would be embarrassed by GOP who don't agree with his tactic of sabotaging the American economy until their tantrum demands are met and democratically enacted laws are repealed.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

Why is that? The republicans have given several options. Democrats will not compromise. They postponed Obamacare for big businesses, but when we asked to have it postponed for everyone they said absolutely not.

Technically, Obamacare is a compromise from the democrats when it was first passed. While I agree with some parts of Obamacare (like getting coverage for preexisting conditions), it is wrong to make people have insurance. I know they are suppose to make it affordable, but haven't seen that yet.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

While I agree that it sucks for those retirees, they are only one half of the argument. My arguments against are these:

1) I used to be taught that in America, one can accomplish anything. Unfortunately, I am a gen Y and affirmative action and the coddling of illegals has made that "dream" virtually impossible because I'm a White American.
I have zero sympathy for people who were promised something as an entitlement and won't get it. My Constitution promises me all sorts of Rights...rights that are being stripped every day. That is far more important to me than the National Parks being closed, and deserves far more attention than the whiny workers who will be furloughed for a few days.

2) I never promised any soldier anything and as far as I'm concerned, whatever contract they signed is as null and void as the Unconstitutional Government who made them sign it.
Listen...I'm a convicted felon twice over. I have never had a problem getting work....EVER. There's all kinds of jobs out there regardless of how many people say there isn't. If you aren't getting paid because of a shutdown, either find another job until it passes, go AWOL, or friggin revolt already.

America is full of whiners who just like to talk rather than take action. If you are a talker/whiner, I have no sympathy for you, period.
The only people this affects are those people ATS continuously rakes over the coals....Federal Employees. Now, you all suddenly give a crap....talk about ignorance.

Your argument is that a contract was signed so these people are being screwed. How laughable! So since you're for contracts, you don't have a problem with any other entitlement programs then right? You feel that Congress should always get free healthcare and pensions and security after their terms end right? How about those furloughed Feds that get full pensions/healthcare for life upon retirement?

The list goes on and on, but you get my point. You're either for contracts or against them...picking betwixt which ones you like and don't like just shows you are a fence rider in my opinion.

I stand by my not giving a crap about any shutdown...even if it means that Tim from the IRS gets a furlough anf can't afford his Beemer payment or mortgage on his $2 million home. It all boils down to livinh withing your means. Every adult should have a rainy day fund for just such an occurence, if they don't, its on them.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

That would be nice when all US soldiers all over the world will drop their weapon and go home....to do some gardening.

...probably will be recalled for duty the next day because the national debt has been paid in full.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by k21968

No I was just joking.. I know it's not fair to takeaway somebodies paycheck.. What I do think is that some officials earn way to much , but I think you don't mean them if we talk about government people right?
edit on 1-10-2013 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
So the gov't is shut down, I put on my CT hat and did some figuring on what benefit this could be to TPTB and here's what I've come up with.

We have been hearing the doom rumors of ISON and whatever else could happen between now and the end of the year, so, what if the gov't conveniently went into a shut-down mode and all of the ones in the know somehow start retreating to a few of their local DUMB's. With a shutdown, they can operate out of the public's eye.

The .gov sites are mostly claiming to be offline due to the shutdown and that includes the NASA sites that folks on here like to use for viewing images from space. If there was to be some horrible inbound destructive mass out there, this shutdown conveniently makes it difficult to get hold of any authority on the matter for answers.

Just thinking way outside the box here but could the shutdown be masking something besides just a political joust and poor management?

edit on 1-10-2013 by evc1shop because: clarity

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Will the shutdown affect military personnel? I heard that all operations overseas are considered essential and still get money, but what about the bases at home? And what about the Civilians that do contract work?

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop

Yeah I noticed that too .. wtf.. going on ? is something big going to happen ????
I first thought to not take this serious at all but now Im not sure anymore...?
edit on 1-10-2013 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Apparently it already has. I'm worried about my Partner's VA relations and the disability he recieves because of his combat injuries.

They say it 'may not' be affected, but we all know how the government promises one thing and does another.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
DP
edit on 1-10-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

I was thinking it won't be too bad, they will patch things up somehow soon after making whatever point needed to be made etc. and then I remembered how last year, I had recently moved to the twin cities and the gov't here in Minnesota seemed to have shut down. the mn.gov website which I was using to find my things out around the state and to get my driver's license and registrations sorted out. I couldn't call them or email them or anything. So, this time around with the federal gov't shutdown, I realize how hard it will be to get answers for something more serious. I can't put my finger on anything concrete so I say, be vigilant.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

roswell1987
Will the shutdown affect military personnel? I heard that all operations overseas are considered essential and still get money, but what about the bases at home? And what about the Civilians that do contract work?

Military still receives pay, Military contractors do not...which with our hybrid military means that we are hobbled. Shipments of supplies, support, IT, etc. Any contractors are either not working or working without pay, unless of course they have the small print shut-down clause in their contract where they will get backpay plus bonus for their being a gov shut-down..but not sure who has what. I am hearing of thousands of folks (contactors) being out of work as of this afternoon though.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Transitarian
Apparently it already has. I'm worried about my Partner's VA relations and the disability he recieves because of his combat injuries.

They say it 'may not' be affected, but we all know how the government promises one thing and does another.

Sorry you have to go through that. It's not as if the VA had their sh*& together to begin with, let alone a shut-down.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop

I hope you were joking about Ison the damn comet is turning green....

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Indigo5

roswell1987

Military still receives pay, Military contractors do not...which with our hybrid military means that we are hobbled. Shipments of supplies, support, IT, etc. Any contractors are either not working or working without pay, unless of course they have the small print shut-down clause in their contract where they will get backpay plus bonus for their being a gov shut-down..but not sure who has what. I am hearing of thousands of folks (contactors) being out of work as of this afternoon though.

Contractors DO RECEIVE PAY, they are not the same as DoD. DynCorp, Raytheon, Lockheed-those are contractors.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

I was a republican in 1995-1996. I remember how angry the little folk were. Closing the government is seen as a failure not heroic. Just my opinion, I think this bad Karma from the extremists will boomerang in 2014. Like I said, I like a functional two party system. I don't really want to see democrats with all three legs of government just to win.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I don't see a problem here.
The Govt is nothing special and I am tired of people that work for the Govt thinking that they are.
Hopefully it will go a little longer, so people can see that life can function with half of the current Govt that we have been forced with.

The push to defund 0bamacare is great and should be completed.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Merlynn

Indigo5

roswell1987

Contractors DO RECEIVE PAY, they are not the same as DoD. DynCorp, Raytheon, Lockheed-those are contractors.

Please clarify? This in my backyard

Government shutdown affects 2,000 civilians at Naval Station Great Lakes

More than 2,000 civilians will be furloughed Tuesday, Oct. 1, at Naval Station Great Lakes because of the government shutdown

newssun.suntimes.com...

Shutdown consequences set to begin for government contractors
www.washingtonpost.com...

Government contractors brace for federal shutdown
www.washingtonpost.com... d6_story.html

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Indigo5

Merlynn

Indigo5

roswell1987

Please clarify? This in my backyard

Government shutdown affects 2,000 civilians at Naval Station Great Lakes

More than 2,000 civilians will be furloughed Tuesday, Oct. 1, at Naval Station Great Lakes because of the government shutdown

newssun.suntimes.com...

Shutdown consequences set to begin for government contractors
www.washingtonpost.com...

Government contractors brace for federal shutdown
www.washingtonpost.com... d6_story.html

It's my backyard too. Military for 6, NAF (which is under DOD), then contractor (aviation-same as military).

We have many contractors here at Ft Campbell, still working, still getting paid to support maintenance.
edit on 1-10-2013 by Merlynn because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-10-2013 by Merlynn because: spelling

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Drilluminati

UnifiedSerenity

END IT NOW! SHUT IT DOWN!

I agree SHUT IT DOWN and DO IT NOW~! Finally "Change we can believe in". This will happen then the stock market will crash then...we can rebuild!

If They shut down all your constitutional rights go too..

Marshal law anyone.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join