It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Shutdown Appears to Be A Go

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

abecedarian

antar
I got a letter from the Gov yesterday stating that my foodstamps would be cut by 50.00 dollars or more. Just saying, as a single Mom it has been about the only way to keep food on the table.

My wife and I receive, or maybe it would be more proper to say... our nephew receives cash aid from the state we live in, and there has been no reduction in his benefits.

And honestly, we're running out of things to spend his money on / for.

edit on 9/30/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

Then by all means invest in something for him and put it in a trust. God knows he will need it someday so don't just speculate on how to waste it.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I would not be surprised - the political arena is too polarized at the moment to make a deal.

CNN: Get up to Speed on the Government Shutdown

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I just realized that this government shutdown is actually a different one than the one involving the debt ceiling that will happen October 17th. This particular one is due to congress being unable to pass a budget for next year. The one that happens on October 17th is because of hitting the debt ceiling.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

CINY8
The difference between the government shutting down in the late 90s and now is the fact that so many more people rely on food stamps and other government hand-outs to get by. So, the impact would be on a much greater scale this time.

Hence the problem of the drug dealer hooking kids on narcs and suddenly the dealer gets busted.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   

abecedarian
My wife and I receive, or maybe it would be more proper to say... our nephew receives cash aid from the state we live in, and there has been no reduction in his benefits.

And honestly, we're running out of things to spend his money on / for.

I would suggest in strongest terms that you move *any* of your nephew's surplus money into gold or silver. Now. Right now.

It won't be long until the only thing the greenback is good for is wiping your #.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Unless the House suddenly gets a brain transplant, then yes the Government will shutdown.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Yes, BoyMonkey, the Government has shutdown before.

Newt Gingrich's leadership team shut it down twice, in 1995 and 1996.

The result was that William Jefferson Clinton was reelected. Easily. So then the GOP spent 17 million tax payers dollars to find out if Clinton had a blow job in the Oval Office or not. And Gingrich resigned before he got kicked out for ethics violations.

Closed for Business? Government Shutdown History

edit on 30/9/2013 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Just in case anyone may be interested...here is another thread about a possible government shutdown.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Today we are at the 11th hour. What really concerns me more than this shutdown is...will they have the budget figured out by October 17th.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
what a load of crap.
neither side wants this ''shutdown'' neither the republicans or the democrats.
The democrats will argue that the republicans are holding them hostage, that they are refusing to co-operate or to compromise.
The republicans will argue that the democrats aren't compromising and are holding the public hostage
Both sides will yell and scream, telling you, the public, that the world will end if the other doesn't pull back.

But when we get to the brink, both sides will do what they always do..

increase the debt ceiling.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Well they have to make the show look good or people will stop watching.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

speculativeoptimist
Found an article with some info.

On Sunday, the Republican-run House of Representatives voted to pull the law's funding, raising chances of a shutdown.

The government needs to agree a new policy-wide spending bill before the US fiscal year ends at midnight on Monday.

If it fails, non-essential federal services face closure, with employees sidelined or left working without pay.

Early on Sunday, the House passed an amended version of the Senate spending bill that removed funding from the healthcare law.

US Senate Majority leader Harry Reid has vowed that his Democrat-led chamber will reject the Republican bill.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Civilian cuts
If the government does shut down on 1 October, as many as a third of its 2.1 million employees are expected to stop work - with no guarantee of back pay once the deadlock is resolved.

National parks and Washington's Smithsonian museums would close, pension and veterans' benefit cheques would be delayed, and visa and passport applications would be stymied.

Programmes deemed essential, such as air traffic control and food inspections, would continue.

The defence department has advised employees that uniformed members of the military will continue on "normal duty status", but "large numbers" of civilian workers will be told to stay home.

From an outside agency of course.
www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 29-9-2013 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

This is so intelligent.. This is a pissing contest.... Between the house and senate. Republicans vs Democrats.. Interesting now because who is going to cave in? In the meantime it will be the American, public that is going to suffer from this bullcrap, next move is going to be in the markets when the system closes down..

Well at least we have the MLB playoffs to distract us..

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I wish they would close shop. Then at least, a moratorium on laws would commence...no more laws...think of it...I wish they would all go home and stay there.
All the Deceit clouds would vanish and the sky would return to a nice deep rich dark blue and the sun would come out and the birds would start singing.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

let me say that our family is supposed to live on less than one hundred dollars a month per person on FS. Basically they cut me out. So even though I am an exception to the rule, this will only stand to hurt children because people often put themselves first. I have seen otherwise descent people who have found themselves short, and when survival levels kick in they get greedy for their share. I try and teach everyone in my world by example, but I see more and more as the economy hits the poor, a lack of consideration for others above self including children.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
We gave Israel 70 billion dollars last year.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

ThinkingCap

Ok...I will just say it...we need to stop supporting other countries with money that needs to stay in the USA to pay our bills and balance the budget! How crazy is D.C.!

I am for helping people; when we have it; but right now we just don't have the money.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I bet the truth is,
they would have to shout down any way.
this is just a excuse.

america is bankrupt.
they dont have the money to pay out!

Whats happened to ATS?
no more good posts?
and they dont post good stories from the news?
have you look't at the new posts for the last week?
it is Stagnant!!!

They have taken over totally.

edit on 30-9-2013 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

tracehd1
Military Contractors making record high profits

Corp. Military is making a bundle though.

Maybe the corporations that the military is over there fighting for should start paying the tab.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

ThinkingCap

You should watch the Chuck Hagel interview for the Sec of Defense job it is clear that our government would give it's last dollar to Israel instead of helping an American with it. Btw we spent 311 million on their Iron Dome how many vets could that help?

When you are against appointing someone just because he said something about Israel shows who is in charge.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
they shut down 17 years ago what happened, nothing.................................................................................................................

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I wonder, do we have to pay taxes for the period the government is shut down? If only.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join