It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Shutdown Appears to Be A Go

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Unfortunately I don't have any news sources for this so you may want to take it with a grain of salt. Today my father, he works for a DoD agency, received a message from his boss. It said that all employees were to report as normal tomorrow, on Tuesday they were to come in an fill out their furlough papers and put in a four hour work day, starting Wednesday the government will be shut down until further notice.

As I said earlier this is the only source I have right now. Once I get to an actual computer I'll see if I can find any other info. Apologies if anyone else has already reported on this, I didn't notice a thread in the recent posts.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Just a few of questions...

What happens If the Government gets shut down? and how do you reopen it?
Has it ever happened before?

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Xcalibur254
Unfortunately I don't have any news sources for this so you may want to take it with a grain of salt. Today my father, he works for a DoD agency, received a message from his boss. It said that all employees were to report as normal tomorrow, on Tuesday they were to come in an fill out their furlough papers and put in a four hour work day, starting Wednesday the government will be shut down until further notice.

As I said earlier this is the only source I have right now. Once I get to an actual computer I'll see if I can find any other info. Apologies if anyone else has already reported on this, I didn't notice a thread in the recent posts.

Well, I guess this is good news, true or not.

I have heard reports of yea and nay on this which is good since it means we have data coming in from a variety of sources regardless of veracity. Thanks for bringing this to us!

To answer your question boymonkey: Yes, we have a government shutdown every week for two days, every month for 8 days and every year for three months!
edit on 29-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I was worried it was going to affect my job, but I guess it won't.

-SAP-

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Found an article with some info.

On Sunday, the Republican-run House of Representatives voted to pull the law's funding, raising chances of a shutdown.

The government needs to agree a new policy-wide spending bill before the US fiscal year ends at midnight on Monday.

If it fails, non-essential federal services face closure, with employees sidelined or left working without pay.

Early on Sunday, the House passed an amended version of the Senate spending bill that removed funding from the healthcare law.

US Senate Majority leader Harry Reid has vowed that his Democrat-led chamber will reject the Republican bill.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Civilian cuts
If the government does shut down on 1 October, as many as a third of its 2.1 million employees are expected to stop work - with no guarantee of back pay once the deadlock is resolved.

National parks and Washington's Smithsonian museums would close, pension and veterans' benefit cheques would be delayed, and visa and passport applications would be stymied.

Programmes deemed essential, such as air traffic control and food inspections, would continue.

The defence department has advised employees that uniformed members of the military will continue on "normal duty status", but "large numbers" of civilian workers will be told to stay home.

From an outside agency of course.
www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 29-9-2013 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Now someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I know a U.S. government shutdown happened from 1995-96...I'm too young to remember what went down so unfortunately I have no idea what the outcome will be and how it will be fixed. All I know is that people who work for the government will not be paid.

But anything involving a "shutdown" seems like bad news...especially when it's your COUNTRY'S Government

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Honestabe28

Not just gov't employees but also soldiers. They will be fighting and dying and won't be getting a cent for it.

-SAP-

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing, was going to also but it didn't seem like there was interest in it. As far as I've seen there is talk of it happening at least for a day or two and will be the first time since 1996(Wiki see here). Maybe people are desensitized because of past incidents of them claiming to cut checks, etc, believing it won't happen anyway.

US government on verge of shutdown as House votes to delay health law

The US government is on the precipice of a historic shutdown that would result in hundreds of thousands of federal workers being placed on unpaid leave, after House Republicans refused to pass a budget unless it involved a delay to Barack Obama's signature healthcare reforms.

Also,
Government Shutdown Near as House Votes to Delay Obamacare
House delays Obamacare as government shutdown nears
edit on 29-9-2013 by dreamingawake because: sp

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
The difference between the government shutting down in the late 90s and now is the fact that so many more people rely on food stamps and other government hand-outs to get by. So, the impact would be on a much greater scale this time. Here is a good explanation as to what would happen if the government does shut down:

Explaining the Government Shut Down

If the government shuts down, the most important things will still get done. Soldiers and other members of the military who help protect America will still keep us safe. The Post Office will still deliver letters. Air traffic controllers will still help planes land safely at airports. And your old or disabled relatives who get things called “Social Security checks” will still have money for bingo. But many services will stop.

The government won’t issue as many documents that allow foreign people to visit our country, poor people might not get food stamps to buy groceries, and governments scientists won’t be monitoring the spread of disease. Places that belong to the federal government, like national parks, will have to close during the shutdown. So that long car trip to Yosemite that your family was planning next weekend may be off. Many government workers, like public school teachers and firemen and police officers, are paid by local governments or state governments. If the federal government shuts down, it shouldn’t affect their jobs. You will still go to school (unless you’re part of a program like Head Start that depends on grant money from Washington). The policemen in your town will still look for bad guys and firemen will still put out fires. But many federal government employees won’t be going to work.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
For those confused about what a government shutdown entails, here is a link that will explain it:

Shutdown of the Federal Government:
Causes, Processes, and Effects PDF

Look specifically at pages 7 and 8 for the effects on the Public and Mandatory Spending Programs.

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
This whole thing disgusts me.

For decades our government has run on a negative balance, a deficit, yet . . . somehow. . . we don't have the "money" to pay people or provide government services?

I say it is the administration that is holding the American public hostage!

Manipulating actual paychecks so they can push an agenda.

This is also why I advocate and scream for self-reliance and freedom FROM government and government intervention!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
This is a little more accurate as of today;

House Republicans voted early Sunday morning in favor of a temporary spending bill that includes a one-year delay for ObamaCare, a move that increases the chance of a government shutdown with Senate Democrats and the White House vowing to reject the measure ahead of a Monday night deadline.

The Republican-led House passed the proposal 231-192 in one of two amendments attached to a Senate spending bill passed Friday night.

The lower chamber also passed an amendment 248-174 to repeal the health-care law’s medical-device tax and voted 423-0 to approve a bill to pay the military on time should a temporary shutdown occur, in a series of votes that started shortly before midnight. The final tallies came in after midnight, and the House adjourned until 10 a.m. Monday shortly after.

House votes to keep government open, delay ObamaCare by 1 year

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on Sep-29-2013 by xuenchen because:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The Really Question is why do we really care if the government shuts down, they don't do nothing for us, the only ones I feel bad for are the Military that are serving.

Let the Government Shut down. Give them a time out and rethink all that wasteful spending.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Military Contractors making record high profits

Corp. Military is making a bundle though.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

The problem is that it still has to go through the Senate. There's no way they're going to let that go through. If Reid motions to table or kill the bill then it will be voted on then and there. There can be no fillibustering or delaying tactics from the Republicans. I have seen certain House members claim that there would be enough time to pass another bill when this once fails but I just don't see it.

I do also want to point out that my father received the message from his boss this afternoon so it is a little more up to date than that story. Pretty much unless a miracle happens and the Senate actually passes the proposed bill I can't see anyway around a shutdown. It seems like Capitol Hill agrees, what with unanimous approval for the bill that ensures members of the armed forces will be paid in the case of a shutdown.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

For decades our government has run on a negative balance . . . I say it is the administration that is holding the American public hostage!

The Obama administration is responsible for something you say has been happening for decades (which includes both parties)??

I have been told that my job won't be furloughed, but I'm not holding my breathe.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Who needs a government when we have GTA online finally

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

CB328

For decades our government has run on a negative balance . . . I say it is the administration that is holding the American public hostage!

The Obama administration is responsible for something you say has been happening for decades (which includes both parties)??

I have been told that my job won't be furloughed, but I'm not holding my breathe.

You can't be that obtuse.

Government has been running on a deficit for decades.

The Obama administration is using this to hold hostage, the American public, so they can force an agenda.

See?

(rolling eyes emoticon here)
edit on 29-9-2013 by beezzer because: edited for content

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Military Contractors making record high profits

Corp. Military is making a bundle though.

Maybe the contractors like Lockheed, DynCorp, and others, but the people working on the contracts do not make that much money (unless they go overseas to work). The workers haven't had a pay increase since 2008. Contracts do hire their family and buddies instead of veterans for the jobs and many of the jobs management holds are way overpaid and they do nothing for their pay (and they have no actual skills).

To make matters worse contractors, like Lockheed, have been getting the contracts and instead of keeping people at their same pay rate, they downgrade their pay. Like maybe they were an aircraft mechanic II, they downgrade to a I or just aircraft worker (only making $14-15 an hour). Same with computer operator jobs. Here they took over and the insurance is so high they are only making about $12 (out of the 24 they should be making) an hour. You can check out the normal wages at wdol.gov.

Once again it's the corporation making the money and leaving employees with scraps. projectvxn makes it sounds like the workers make more, they don't. Plus the contracting people (like me) know a lot more than the military, but why shouldn't we, many of us also did those jobs in the military too and for more years.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Government shutdowns have happened.All it will hurt is some government jobs.But they don't stay shutdown.Some people may lose their jobs though.
edit on 29-9-2013 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-9-2013 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join