It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'TomTato' tomato and potato plant unveiled in UK

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

A plant that produces both tomatoes and potatoes, called the TomTato, has been developed for the UK market.

Similar plants have been created in the UK, but the firm said it was thought to be the first time they had been produced on a commercial scale.

this is amazing potato non genetically modified, but grafted. 100% natural no GM's involved

creates more space for growing more veggies, I know i want one for my garden.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
500 tomatos, wow! This is awesome, especially cuz it was not created in a lab. Makes me wonder what other veggies could be combined. Let the grafting trials continue!
ETA: Related Vid

edit on 29-9-2013 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Thats awesome!

For some reason i thought a lemon and a lime mixed together would be mind blowing! A limeon! MUAHHAHAHAHA Id make millions.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by hknudzkknexnt

I'm having a real problem believing this .... TomTato

Come to think about it how is the plant getting water and nutrients to grow all those tomatoes with those spuds hanging of it and no obvious roots , and grow potatoes as well

edit on 29-9-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
First time i have ever heard of this
I am not a green fingered person but i am going to try and cultivate tomtato
S&F OP

Going to check the price tag of this now

Indisputable

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Not surprising, actually. They're both part of the same family, including such notables as belladonna and eggplant, as well as the chili peppers (capsicum).

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

abecedarian
Not surprising, actually. They're both part of the same family, including such notables as belladonna and eggplant, as well as the chili peppers (capsicum).

Beat me to it. My granny (when I was a kid in the 1950s) used to grow potato/tomato plants; said she'd been doing it since she was a kid in East Texas in the early 1900s.

But as far as these being the first grown "commercially," I'm sure that's a true claim....

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I've never done it but there are several articles on the net about doing this yourself and saving some money in the process. It sounds like a good idea unless you want large production, might as well grow them individually. For small areas it seems like it might work for many people. I think I'll try it out on my porch next summer.

example 1, read the article and it gives step by step instructions.

homeguides.sfgate.com...

Potato and tomato plants can grow as one in the home garden.

Most fruit and vegetable plants of the same family, including potato and tomato plants of any variety, can be grafted to create one plant. The upper part of the graft becomes the top of the plant and produces tomatoes, while the lower section or root system will produce potatoes. This method of grafting is a common practice for gardeners who don't have a lot of space to work in; however, a grafted plant will yield much less than two plants growing separate. Grafting is best done with two healthy plants that have stems of similar diameter.

example 2, also with step by step instructions.

www.ehow.com...

Although a potato and a tomato cannot be cross-bred, it is possible to graft together a tomato plant shoot to the rootstock of a potato plant. The grafted plant will produce both tomatoes from the tomato shoot and potatoes from the rootstock. Grafting together the two plants can save you space in the garden and make a tomato plant grow that is not well suited for the soil in your garden. Be aware that the grafting together of the two plants can effect the taste of the fruit.

Instructions:

Cut the stem of the potato plant so that it is split into a "V" shape. Cut the stem so that about 1 inch is exposed above the ground.

Cut the roots from the tomato plant, making a cut on the stem that is straight across using a sharp knife. The cutting should be about 6 to 8 inches long.

Cut the tomato stem so that it looks like a wedge shape by cutting material off both sides of the bottom of the stem. Make the cut so that it fits into the "V" shape cut into the potato plant stock.

Slide the two cut pieces together.

Wrap the graft with grafting tape so that the cut holds. Remove the grafting tape once the plants begin to show new growth.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
My friend was telling me about this yesterday. It's only a matter of time now before someone actually cultivates the tomacco.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Xcalibur254
My friend was telling me about this yesterday. It's only a matter of time now before someone actually cultivates the tomacco.
Tomacco would probably be a difficult cultivar to harvest since both tomato and tobacco are above-ground harvests. Potabacco is a more likely harvest.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I had an idea once for ketchup-centered French fries. This is almost as good! I'm going to try one!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I've always been interested in grafted plants.

Tomato and Potato eh? That's an awesome mega load of vitamins

I've seen a tree that grew passion fruits, and a grafted apple tree that produced 7 different kinds of apples, I had a brochure for plants that had that in there.... IF only I could locate it. Might've lost it when I moved, but I'd love to have some of these and some of that Tomtato plants, just too cool.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
This is amazing, its gonna be scary to what they come up with in the future.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Urantia1111
I had an idea once for ketchup-centered French fries. This is almost as good! I'm going to try one!

Ketchup-centered fries...truly inspired! I can imagine my kids (me really) pretending that the fries are screaming and bleeding to death as they are bitten into.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
sounds great but how on earth do you combine a root plant with a tomato....tomatoes are high nutrient plants requiring vast amounts of sunlight and nutrients....potatoes are root vegetables requiring very little nutrient ....hmph....im probably wasting my time but i will read into it just for #s and giggles

ok well this is not going to be grown easily by the average joe....but i will bet they sell oodles of these plants but there will be no second generation meaning if you want to reproduce it you will have to keep going back to the source and buying it...

edit on 30-9-2013 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Biigs
Thats awesome!

For some reason i thought a lemon and a lime mixed together would be mind blowing! A limeon! MUAHHAHAHAHA Id make millions.

When I lived in Sacramento, CA, there was a lemon tree in the back yard and the Delta breeze apparently cross-pollinated it with the orange tree across the street. It produced big lemons with an orange-ish color and the flavor was not quite lemon/not quite orange. Made great lemonade. Might have been some species I'm not familiar with, but I called them "Loranges". Used to get grocery bags full from that one tree alone.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Gu1tarJohn

The grapefruit is cross between a lemon and an orange.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by hknudzkknexnt

Cool, could you let me know when they make the cannaberry please

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
double doobers
edit on 1-10-2013 by GreyGoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   

top topics

join