It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana Pastor Shot and Killed While Preaching

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Calcasieu Parish sheriff's deputies arrested 53-year-old Woodrow Karey, a church deacon, and charged him with second-degree murder, after he called 911 and told the dispatcher what he had done, sheriff's spokeswoman Kim Myers said.
Witnesses told police that Karey walked into the Tabernacle of Praise Worship Center around 8:20 p.m. and shot Pastor Ronald Harris twice -- the first time as Karey entered the church and then again at close range after Harris had fallen to the floor, Myers said.
Karey fled the scene on foot but later called the sheriff's office and surrendered without incident, Myers said.
During his arrest, Karey directed the deputies to two guns he had discarded in a wooded area. One of the firearms was a shotgun and the other

Louisiana Pastor Shot and Killed While Preaching

Wow, this is horrible! The first thing that came to my mind was motive. Was the perpetrator angry at what the preacher had said? Was this political? I sure hope not, but that is the only thing I can think of unless there was some personal vendetta for other reasons. The guy called and turned himself in minutes after the tragedy. He doesn't sound mentally disturbed, as far as not knowing what he did. He had no criminal history. It sounds like he was angry at something obviously and I pray it wasn't politics! Man the horror the congregation must have endured, and what a lasting image and experience. I am sure plenty of children were there as well. While I am curious as to what drove this guy to do this, first and foremost my heart goes out to those affected by this. I will continue posting as more info comes out.
What a crazy world...
edit on 29-9-2013 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Now how do they get second degree murder out of that. It sounds like first degree murder to me.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Yeah I guess I don't know what second degree murder is? Amazing that not a single person in the church was carrying a side arm. Everyone in the Midwest now does, or someone generally does that I know of. My distant cousin a Sheriff of over 16 years in Kansas was able with the aid of his deputy to stop a shooting spree that almost happened in his home church. They were off duty, but still packing. It was tragic none the less for the congregation and for the 2 off duty LEOs.

Keep us informed on more details ok?

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I agree and was unsure of the definition.

First degree murder falls into one of the following two categories:

Premeditated, intentional killings
Felony murder

While second degree murder is either:

An unplanned, intentional killing; or
A death caused by a reckless disregard for human life

So I guess they have to determined if it was "premeditated." I would guess it was to some degree, but I'm with you in thinking it is first degree, and second maybe. I bet he gets First degree ultimately, but until they get more evidence they have to categorize it accordingly. Any law folks on the boards to clarify?

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
This just came out and apparently the shooter was a previous member.

Talisha (tuh-LEE-shuh) Harris says the man accused of shooting Ronald Harris Sr. on Friday was once a church member but left about four years ago.

She says neither she, her mother nor her brother know what prompted the shooting. She says Woodrow Karey of Lake Charles simply stopped going to church, without saying why but without any apparent animosity.

Read more here: www.fresnobee.com...=cpy

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

rickymouse

Now how do they get second degree murder out of that. It sounds like first degree murder to me.

First degree murder usually involves another heinous crime(rape etc) and is not a "passion crime". This guy called the authorities after doing it and it didn't involve any other crimes. It also varies from state to state but that's the gist.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

Found this too:

I bet they find something "premeditated."
edit on 29-9-2013 by speculativeoptimist because: spelling

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I would say from what we already know it was premeditated, I mean he was not legally carrying his side arm and taking a relaxed walk when all the sudden the pastors voice struck him like a voice from hell telling him to murder murder murder.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

speculativeoptimist

Found this too:

I bet they find something "premeditated."
edit on 29-9-2013 by speculativeoptimist because: spelling

Premeditation doesn't necessarily mean it will be bumped up. Usually first degree involves other serious crimes or extremely malicious intent.

Example 1: Man buys guy after finding out wife cheated and shot her. Then broke down and called police immediately after.

VS

Example 2: Man buys guy after finding out wife cheated on him. He rapes her then tortures her before shooting her. He then calls police.

First one in many states would be considered second degree. One of the main reasons for this is that first degree is more difficult to get a conviction from. In the more "obvious" cases the prosecutors will go for first degree depending on the malicious intent of crime.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Thanks for the perspective.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

The devil made him do it.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

In Nebraska, it is illegal to carry in a place of worship.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

The first thing that came to my mind was motive.
When I saw this story in my local news, my guess was that it was about a woman.
I looked at several sources and the only hints I can find are here;

...disgruntled ex-deacon

and

The disillusioned former deacon...

www.dailymail.co.uk...
They seem to imply that Karey had issues but no one is talking about specifics.

It could have been something as mundane as a respect or money issue,
or it could have been something more exotic like a MAJOR difference in interpreting the divine.

If that turns out to be the case, well, religious discord strikes again.

But then again, it's probably about a woman.

ETA Some relevant stats;
From 1/1/99 thru 7/26/13 church shootings where motive was known
Number one motive-robbery
number two motive-personal
number three motive-domestic

Most popular church for shootings?
Number one- Baptist
number two- Non denomination
Number three- Catholic

www.carlchinn.com...

edit on 30-9-2013 by tanda7 because: stats

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jarHunter

.I don't think my cousin was armed, he was in the congregation, his deputy arrived later and just in time to see the gunman and took immediate action to save lives, it really was a miracle situation.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Wanted to provide a follow up on this story regarding motive and it was, as some here suspected, over a woman and rape allegations.

The possible motive investigators are currently working to confirm is that Pastor Harris was involved in some sort of sexual relationship with Karey’s wife.
“[A week before the actual shooting, Karey] stated that he had received some inappropriate images from his wife to Pastor Harris,” Sheriff Mancuso said. “Then, evidently, he confronted his wife and she filed a rape charge against Pastor Harris on Wednesday, September 25.”
Deputies were unable to interview Pastor Harris regarding the rape allegation before he was shot and killed on Friday.
“That’s where we are in this investigation,” he said. “At this time the charges against Mr. Karey are appropriate based on the information we have.”

btx3.wordpress.com...

A Louisiana sheriff says the wife of a man accused of killing a pastor filed a rape complaint against the preacher two days before he was killed.
However, Calcasieu Parish Sheriff Tony Mancuso said Monday that investigators are trying to determine whether the woman’s relationship with the pastor was consensual.
Mancuso says the woman and preacher had exchanged text messages, and it’s not yet clear whether a sexual assault took place.
Woodrow Karey is charged with fatally shooting Ronald Harris Sr. during a service Friday at the Tabernacle of Praise Worship Center in Lake Charles. The rape complaint was filed Wednesday.

www.americapreachers.com...

This brings some sense to the situation, but still a horrible tragedy for the witnesses. It is hard to believe a priest would be involved in such affairs but who knows, sex/desire are powerful forces.
I will continue to post on this as more info becomes available.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

speculativeoptimist
Wanted to provide a follow up on this story regarding motive and it was, as some here suspected, over a woman and rape allegations.

The possible motive investigators are currently working to confirm is that Pastor Harris was involved in some sort of sexual relationship with Karey’s wife.
“[A week before the actual shooting, Karey] stated that he had received some inappropriate images from his wife to Pastor Harris,” Sheriff Mancuso said. “Then, evidently, he confronted his wife and she filed a rape charge against Pastor Harris on Wednesday, September 25.”
Deputies were unable to interview Pastor Harris regarding the rape allegation before he was shot and killed on Friday.
“That’s where we are in this investigation,” he said. “At this time the charges against Mr. Karey are appropriate based on the information we have.”

btx3.wordpress.com...

A Louisiana sheriff says the wife of a man accused of killing a pastor filed a rape complaint against the preacher two days before he was killed.
However, Calcasieu Parish Sheriff Tony Mancuso said Monday that investigators are trying to determine whether the woman’s relationship with the pastor was consensual.
Mancuso says the woman and preacher had exchanged text messages, and it’s not yet clear whether a sexual assault took place.
Woodrow Karey is charged with fatally shooting Ronald Harris Sr. during a service Friday at the Tabernacle of Praise Worship Center in Lake Charles. The rape complaint was filed Wednesday.

www.americapreachers.com...

This brings some sense to the situation, but still a horrible tragedy for the witnesses. It is hard to believe a priest would be involved in such affairs but who knows, sex/desire are powerful forces.
I will continue to post on this as more info becomes available.

I think sometimes priests are more likely to be involved in questionable acts because they have to consistently keep up a holy mask. This is definitely sad though. So I guess motive might be that the guy who shot him was getting revenge for him raping the woman? Makes sense. Keep us updated on anything, definitely a sad story.

new topics

top topics

join