It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nancy Pelosi: Death of 40 Hour Work Week Frees Americans to Pursue Happiness

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Pelosi is as smart as she is beautiful.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

MrSpad
So nobody watched the interview did you? Well I did. And guess what she did not say? Thats right anything that is in the title. .

I watched it. She said exactly what I said ... She said cutting the hours would liberate people and give them freedom to pursue their happiness. YES, that's what she said. Less hours and less money somehow equates to 'freedom to pursue happiness' in her twisted mind.

I don't know what the heck video you watched ...
But she DID INDEED SAY IT.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
This woman is crazy as well as Harry Reid they both look like they are to old and need to leave office.There needs to a law passed to stop career politicians to have less terms and only be allowed in office for so long and to run for so long.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I'm at a loss for words with this thread. Only two posts actually realize Pelosi was talking about Obamacare's alleged ability to liberate people from oppressive health care costs by letting them shop around. Hence why she says "...follow your passion for good, rather than be constrained by your policy." That's a direct quote. She wasn't discussing the work week at all.

The first step in making progress is to understand what people are actually saying. More actual dialogue and fewer straw men and perhaps citizens of the US can resolve this issue.

An altered work week is not an intrinsically bad idea, either. How likely is it that every single occupation genuinely requires every single worker to work the exact same amount of time per week? Some occupations have workers engage in busywork in the countdown to leaving, and others simply require too much attention to perform 8 hours of quality work with minimal rest, daily. Payment based on some other instrument-- such as customers acquired or serviced-- works well enough that there's no objective reason we should instead base the worth of labor on hours simply being present.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
She's from earth. Americans work, on average, more hours per week/month/year then any other nation in the world. We have 2 weeks of vacation a year, while most other countries in Europe have 1 - 3 months.

Then again, American's get their identity from their job, thus without working so much they have no identity.

And no i didn't make this up. If you want to have this explained then go read "The Culture Code".

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
How about a zero hour workweek.... Yeah, many Americans are living that dream.

Plenty of time to pursue your dreams.

As soon as ALL can get the 40 per week....then maybe think about reducing it.

PLUS - Obama care seems to have compelled employers to allow workers to pursue their dreams. Maybe Obama IS the visionary we thought he was.

4 more years!
edit on 29-9-2013 by ChuckNasty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Jalbrook...
An altered work week is not an intrinsically bad idea, either. How likely is it that every single occupation genuinely requires every single worker to work the exact same amount of time per week? Some occupations have workers engage in busywork in the countdown to leaving, and others simply require too much attention to perform 8 hours of quality work with minimal rest, daily. Payment based on some other instrument-- such as customers acquired or serviced-- works well enough that there's no objective reason we should instead base the worth of labor on hours simply being present.

You know, she comes from California, where the laws are quite strict regarding breaks, lunch, overtime and such, right?

Over 2 hours- one 10 minute break on the clock.
Over 4 hours but less than 5 hours- one 10 minute break on the clock and one 30 minute lunch off the clock or 2 10 minute breaks on the clock.
6 hours- one 10 minute break on the clock and one 30 minute lunch off the clock, or two 10 minute breaks on the clock if the employee agrees and doesn't go over 6 hours.
8 hours- two 10 minute breaks on the clock and one 30 minute lunch off the clock.
... anything more = 1.5x pay and a 10 minute break on the clock for each 2 hours, and another 30 minute lunch off the clock for each 4 hours.
The 7th day of the work week can be overtime regardless of the number of hours worked during the week.

This is a Democrat working to enable companies to skirt labor laws her own party has enacted in her home state, and people are okay with that.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Pelosi said it.

She slurrred and slurrrrped right into it ( and almost drooling )

The entire interview was rehearsed ( courtesy CNN productions, and all advertisers and affiliates !!!! )

Her stuttering and appearance of being 'surprised' was all staged perfectly.

These people are professional BeeEss'ers and masters of illusions.

We all need to remember this classic example of hiding the truth in plain sight......

"Twilight Zone" promo for "To Serve Man"

It was a *cookbook* you idiots !!!!!......

~courtesy BHO Productions Inc.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I might just have to get the premium package. Then, Im going to the doctor every time i sneeze. Theyll know me by my first name. Then, im getting on disability. And im 24 and healthy. Screw you obama.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Comparing productivity rates with the 1960ties, and the fact that both the husband and the wife have to work to support their family, the 20 hour work week should be the standard.

And a family with mom and dad working 20 hour weeks should be able to own a home, and take vacations, and all that.

Right wind programmed zombie slaves voting against their own best interests have allowed this to happen.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I actually agree with Pelosi (and I don't like her very much). One good side effect that I've been hoping for is that Obamacare reduces the work week. This has a couple of benefits. The first is that it frees people up, we haven't had a decrease in the work week since the early 1950's when it fell from 44 hours to 40 hours. Since then productivity has skyrocketed, and many other nations around the world have already moved away from the 40 hour week. It's time we did such.

The second reason is that technology is getting better and better, jobs are being replaced by machines all the time. By moving from 40 to 30 hours while keeping businesses open just as long, we actually create a need for 33% more jobs which has a huge impact on unemployment.

The downside is there's some pain as people bring in less money, but if you follow the idea that minimum wage simply increases everyones costs, you must also accept the reverse, that when people have less money prices go down in order to compensate. So long term this isn't an issue.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

prices go down, because people have less money?

minimum wage drives up costs?

what in the HELL are you talking about?

minimum wage has no impact on the cost of anything, and if it were true that people having less money, reduced prices on stuff, almost everything would be free...

where do you get this stuff?

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

Finally !!!

Now I know *why* we are in the predicament we are in.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

When people have less money, prices need to go down (of course, everything depends on the net value of the products) in order for the company to profit, otherwise there would be less customers and the profits will diminish. In such situation lowering price (not below net value of course) would result in higher profits . Basic supply vs need.

What is the point in selling something, when nobody can afford it? It would bankrupt the company trying to sell the thing.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

FlyersFan
Nancy Pelosi gave an interview to CNN about Obamacare. The statement came up that Obamacare is killing the 40 hour work week (because employers are dropping people to part time work to avoid paying for Obamacare) and therefore people aren't earning what they need to survive. Pelosi's IGNORANT response ... " the less hours worked will free Americans to persue their happiness ".

Seriously .. what planet is this idiot from???

Article and Video Here

During an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union,” host Candy Crowley read Pelosi part of a letter signed by union goon James Hoffa Jr. that described Obamacare’s impact on employers as a way to “destroy the foundation of the 40-hour work week.” ...

Some parts of Obamacare need to be clarified, she acknowledged, but losing that 40-hour work week will really free Americans to “pursue your happiness … follow your passion.”

“Overwhelmingly, for the American people, this is a liberation,” the San Francisco millionaire said dreamily, possibly confusing “the American people” who have to make a living with her fellow guests at George Soros’s wedding Saturday in New York.

You lie!!! She was referring to having health care for everyone being liberating, not shorter work weeks. Unfortunately no one is actually watching the quote. Of course with the long ad up front, who would bother when their mind is made up, and they, like you, have no interest in facts.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I hear people say that having their kidney removed was to pursue more breathing room.

The non thinking people who hear this argument will think it is a sound one because of the artfully worded positives, the hidden side that was brought to light by a figure head. I really wish cognitive psychology and critical reasoning were required classes in public schools before they could graduate, or better yet, vote.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

buster2010
Compared to the rest of the world we are overworked. On average Americans work a month more a year than the rest of the world.

Home> U.S. Americans Work More Than Anyone

i find THAT rather hard to believe, living in an area where the STANDARD work week is SIX DAYS A WEEK, AT LEAST 8-10 HOURS A DAY.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Cabin
reply to post by Daedalus

When people have less money, prices need to go down (of course, everything depends on the net value of the products) in order for the company to profit, otherwise there would be less customers and the profits will diminish. In such situation lowering price (not below net value of course) would result in higher profits . Basic supply vs need.

What is the point in selling something, when nobody can afford it? It would bankrupt the company trying to sell the thing.

if that were true, gasoline would be a dollar a gallon, milk would be at least half what it is now, and bread would be damn near free....

if that were true, people with jobs wouldn't need food stamps, and welfare assistance...

maybe when NOBODY has money....maybe prices will come down like you say, but as long as there are still people out there who can afford the current prices, they'll keep it up.

in fact, i only see prices increasing, not decreasing, and we have record unemployment....how's that figure into your model?

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Is thus mind damaged female completely bonkers ??

she must think the world is populatted by the 'ELOI' from the "Time Machine" reality
who have a Under 40hr work-week

so does that make her & her peers like the "Morlocks" who cannibalize the naive Eloi as a way-of-life

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Someone needs to slap some sense into her - oxygen thief.

More proof that these "representatives" are so far detached from reality that they should just keep going and rack-off altogether.

Pfft.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join