It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nancy Pelosi: Death of 40 Hour Work Week Frees Americans to Pursue Happiness

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Take those newly "free" hours to learn marksmanship and learn how to reload ammo.

Considering the path of this nation set by those of her ilk, it will prove to be time well spent....pursuing happiness.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

AlienScience
People are kind of short sighted.

The 40 hour work week is outdated and antiquated. We all know that when workers work 40 hours a week, they don't really produce 40 hours of work. This is due to burnout and low motivation due to resenting having to be at work for so long. Technology is another reason that the 40 hour work week should go out the window. We are more productive per hour now than we were in the past.

Currently, employers are being scumbags by cutting hours to try to weasel out of their responsibility. There is one very quick fix for that, and I see it coming within 2-3 years. All the federal government has to do is redefine "full time" at 30-35 hours per week. Employers can afford to drop a 40 hour worker to 37 hours to weasel out of responsibility, but dropping someone to 30-35 hours would leave a gap in their work and would lose them profit.

You may even say, that it was all part of the plan.

Nancy...is that you?

Des

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Oh yeah, when Pelosi speaks...people listen. I will give that much. People DO listen.

Someone has to listen hard to know if we should laugh, cry or just pretend she never said anything so we don't have to react at all.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 2XOHsurf

You're right. It used to take 40 hours to provide for a family, now it takes 120.

Then you continue to spout your "it's the employers fault" crud?

edit: and I might add, you state the government will quantify then repair the situation. YOu are sick!

I'm not sick, I'm realistic.

All politics and legislation is a game, if you don't understand the game, it seems illogical and unordered to you. Similar to if you don't understand Physics, you will look at a physics solution and it will seem like non-sense to you. If you are stubborn and someone explains it to you, you will call them crazy.

I like how you complain about it taking more hours to support a family today...due to low wages (and yet record corporate profits)...and then you go on to defend the "employers". You are a good slave, and you respect your masters it seems.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 2XOHsurf

Did you read the rest of his post? He is (or she) actually right, many workers overseas, like in the UAE (this includes expats with skilled jobs), work til about 1:00 PM, 5 days a week. That's a 6 hour work day, sounds perfect. The poster didn't mean it the same way Pelosi does.

I'd rather see wages going up, most people I know haven't an increase in wages since 2008. But many that work around here for contractors or assembly line work more than 40 hours a week.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

wutz4tom
Do they think we are that stupid??

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

They not only think it, they're counting on it. So far, they've been given little reason not to.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I admit to some ambivalence on this topic. I am perhaps ignorant of some of the details of this program, and carry deeply ingrained american ethics concerning work.

These clash with my daily experience, in a culture with different values... in which people work a 35 hour work week, and get a minimum of 3 weeks paid vacation every year. (If I remember right, my early conditioning even gets in the way of my memory- I tend to not remember the vacation days I have coming to me because I feel I shouldn't take them).

What I struggle with is my observation that working less hours does seem to make me more productive, more happy generally, and more reliable in the long run!

The french work much less hours, and are extremely productive, which contradicts our american values.

Major cognitive dissonance going on here.

But, would most americans just spend that extra time trying to consume?
edit on 29-9-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This is the new "normal".

29.5 hour work weeks.
Unemployment at 8+%.
A fractured economy held together by the Fed pumping 85 billion/month.
A sham of a foreign policy.
Record number of people on food stamps.
Record number of people on welfare.
Record number of people on disability.

Sure sounds like a "fundamental transformation" to me!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Bluesma
I admit to some ambivalence on this topic. I am perhaps ignorant of some of the details of this program, and carry deeply ingrained american ethics concerning work.

These clash with my daily experience, in a culture with different values... in which people work a 35 hour work week, and get a minimum of 3 weeks paid vacation every year. (If I remember right, my early conditioning even gets in the way of my memory- I tend to not remember the vacation days I have coming to me because I feel I shouldn't take them).

What I struggle with is my observation that working less hours does seem to make me more productive, more happy generally, and more reliable in the long run!

The french work much less hours, and are extremely productive, which contradicts our american values.

Major cognitive dissonance going on here.

But, would most americans just spend that extra time trying to consume?
edit on 29-9-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

All good questions (and cool avatar BTW...Collie Dawgs are the coolest).

I think most Americans would just fritter away their money. We see it on a daily basis.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

AlienScience
People are kind of short sighted.

The 40 hour work week is outdated and antiquated. We all know that when workers work 40 hours a week, they don't really produce 40 hours of work. This is due to burnout and low motivation due to resenting having to be at work for so long. Technology is another reason that the 40 hour work week should go out the window. We are more productive per hour now than we were in the past.

Currently, employers are being scumbags by cutting hours to try to weasel out of their responsibility. There is one very quick fix for that, and I see it coming within 2-3 years. All the federal government has to do is redefine "full time" at 30-35 hours per week. Employers can afford to drop a 40 hour worker to 37 hours to weasel out of responsibility, but dropping someone to 30-35 hours would leave a gap in their work and would lose them profit.

You may even say, that it was all part of the plan.

The PPACA ObamaCare already *HAS* 'defined' full time at 30 hours !!!

The Left Wing NGOs (Non Governmental Organizations) all supported it.

Soon they will have everybody addicted to Hope-ium and Nanny-juana.

Creating as much 'part time' as possible furthers the Cloward-Piven agenda.

This is good for the Left Wing higher echelon.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

TDawgRex

All good questions (and cool avatar BTW...Collie Dawgs are the coolest).

I think most Americans would just fritter away their money. We see it on a daily basis.

Thanks, he recently died, in the middle of a mysterious mass animal die off happening here.

I really think these questions matter- what is good in one context is not necessarily good in another.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
What truly astounds me is that people vote for her. I have hammers that are more intelligent as well as more useful.

Why does this woman still have a place in the House of Representatives? What or whom is she representative of? My first inclination is a box of rocks. Then I realize I'm not being fair to the box of rocks. Now, I'm at a loss since any idea that comes to mind seems unfair to the idea.

I guess she represents the bat-guano crazy folks and seems to have quite a bit of support indicating the large number of bat-guano crazy folks in her district.

She is certainly proof that intelligence is not a requirement to be a member of CONgress.
edit on 29-9-2013 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Let them eat cake............These progressive scum bags are so out of touch with the common family it is a joke. And for all you liberals take a good hard look and remember this when you can not feed and house your family or yourself.

Being progressive is a sickness of the mind and soul and comments like this prove it.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Soon they will have everybody addicted to Hope-ium and Nanny-juana.

I can go through 100 threads and not find something that funny. Thanks!

It's all that mining for Unobtanium to build the pipes carrying dreams in Obamaland that make the above distractions so important!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Visitor2012
It's a psychological problem actually. The whole White House is filled with people who should be medicated and given rubber mittens.

That's the only explanation i can come up with, except for the spell they have also been put under.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I wish they could force her into digging a ditch only 20 hrs a week.

I bet she'd kill over by her 3rd day.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
People are either slumming along with a single part time job else acquiring a second and maybe even third job if there's a family to support. Definitely not having more time for their families. That would require increased pay rate which just isn't happening.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
wow that`s the dumbest thing I`ve ever heard a politician say.
so, by her reasoning unemployed people should be the happiest people in america because they have a lot of free time to pursue happiness.

Do politicians like her actually believe the things that they say? or do they just say it in the hope that the people will believe it?
Either way she is a disgrace and an insult to all thinking americans.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

agreed, and as out of touch and demented as she is just imagine what kind of people would vote for someone like her to represent them! If she truly is a representative of the people who vote for her then we need to look no further for why the country is the way it is.

“The government you elect is government you deserve.”
Thomas Jefferson

"People deserve the government they get, and they deserve to get it good and hard."
H.L. Mencken

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Ummm, I'm not totally convinced she was referring directly to the 40-hour work week ending when she said Americans could now pursue their happiness. I think she was just defending Obamacare in general. The reason why I think that, is because her immediate response was that there were some issues that needed to be worked on, and that while the president was limited legally to what he could do, there were some things that could be done to help that problem - I think THAT was her response to the 40 hour work week issue. Then, I think she went on to praise Obamacare in general, by saying that with greater health, people could be free to do the things they always wanted to do - you know, like hiking the Colorado mountains, or learning tennis, or running around with your grandkids, or a hundred other things that you might not be able to do with all kinds of health problems.

I admit, it was kind of lame comment to make, and I'm not a huge fan of Pelosi (or at least I don't like the way she words things), but the fact that she kept mentioning terms like health, wellness, and prevention -- I think she was talking about having the "energy" to pursue your passions, not the "time". Just my 2 cents...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join