It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nancy Pelosi: Death of 40 Hour Work Week Frees Americans to Pursue Happiness

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This women is a complete nutcase, she is mentally ill and should be immediately put in a straight jacket and locked up in a mental asylum, let alone being in a position of power.

She's obviously already self medicated, so that part of the solution is already covered. Who are these idiots we have representing us? I think they are symbols of what we have become as a Nation, a Sheople Nation.

How a lunatic like this remains in office is beyond my comprehension. ~$heopleNation

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
She is in congress because of only one reason, people elected her. As long as we have ignorant people sending these clowns, including the present POTUS to D.C., the stupidity will continue. This goes on throughout the country. Want to cast blame? Look in the mirror or towards your next door neighbor.
edit on 1-10-2013 by sqorpius because: punctuation

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
If there is a more stupid person on this planet could someone please point them out. This woman makes the iconic "bubble headed bleach blondes" look like Rhodes scholars.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I do not mean to come across as lecturing, but will give my 2cents worth here -- hope this helps.

NP has NPD, Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

People with this mental disorder have no ability to put themselves in the place/position of others because a specific part of the brain (that actually has nothing to do with one's IQ) is inactivated/undeveloped.

This has nothing to do with normal people who are introverted and/or who suppress their feelings and keep their emotions bottled up inside. Nothing at all.

People with NPD are emotionally detached/disconnected and emotionally devoid, which translates to self-serving and self-benefiting with all sorts of " I don't give a rat's a** " self-promoting agendas, which also means that they are completely out-of-touch with the real world, but not in a psychotic/psychosis way, where one has a complete and total break with reality.

The 'psychotic types' (which, unfortunately NP is not one) who suffer from psychosis are actually safer because their mental illness is apparent and obvious and they aren't typically allowed to live/work amongst us, while in comparison people with NPD outwardly "appear" ("appear" being the key word) to be normal are allowed to teach (or, I should say, indoctrinate) our children, manage or counsel normal people and even run for office and get elected. Their mental disorder isn't usually apparent until we get to know them.

There's no shortage of world leaders and politicians with NPD. They also support/hire each other. JANA12
edit on 1-10-2013 by Jana12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Alright, so what if by some miracle, your pay was adjusted to afford exactly what you have now - but you only worked 4 hours a day instead of 8?

Would you be happy?

Or do you just like 8 hour days?

Shifting to a part-time work force with such a huge population could be quite beneficial - of course employers aren't in the business of giving money away; so I imagine this could lead to a crisis if not managed properly.

However if you think of it from a planning aspect and just from a general standpoint - it could work out to be a great thing to have a nation of part-time workers. Unfortunately the idea of free enterprise dies the more you manage the economy. That said, the working day use to be longer, and I'm sure some saw the end of the 12 hour work day as the end of their freedom too!

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

That is taken out of context. She did not say " losing that 40-hour work week will really free Americans to “pursue your happiness … follow your passion.”, which is said in the article. That is extremely misleading... She was talking about Obamacare being a liberation for people who are constrained by their policy - now they could follow their passion, do something else without the worries about policy

And I ask you this because you know union leaders, I mean, James Hoffa is one of those who wrote a letter to you and said Obamacare is now stands would, quote, "destroy the foundation of the 40-hour work week." That's pretty tough from a loyal Democratic constituency.

PELOSI: Well, we're working on the issue that relates to all of these multiemployer plans which unions are one and some are charities.

CROWLEY: Bargaining rights or otherwise risks. There's more than one employer involved in a contract.

PELOSI: More than one employer involved in a contract. And that has to be certainly clarified. There's so much the president can do within the law. But there is some leeway to facilitate as we are in the Congress under the exchanges. So, I'm optimistic, because we will find a path. But overwhelmingly for the American people, this is a liberation.

This is life, healthy life, liberty, the freedom to pursue your happiness which could be follow your passion for good rather than follow your palate and be constrained by your policy. It's about wellness. It's about prevention, it's about a healthier America.

Transcript from the CNN interview

She was using similar words in her press conference, where she talks about the same point:

[It´s] about life, a healthier life, liberty, freedom, the liberty to pursue your happiness, whether you want to be a photographer, a writer, start your business, be self-employed, [and] change jobs. You're not job locked. You can follow your passion, not your policy, be job locked by your policy. It's entrepreneurial. As the President said yesterday, and is one, I think, great speech on the subject, it's entrepreneurial, it frees people up to go, again, start their own businesses and not stay where they are because of health insurance.

Transcript

ATS is about denying ignorance not spreading and out-of-context posts are spreading ignorance...

edit on 1-10-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

MyHappyDogShiner
reply to post by Daedalus

And ya know?, Corporations used to be unlawful in the U.S., bet ya dinna know dat.....

They was part of them reasons we had that there revolutionary war thingie.

Ebdy fergot.

and what, exactly is your point?

if you're going to imply i'm stupid, i'd love for you to at least have a point.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

i hear (in a manner of speaking) what you're saying...

again, perception is a teensy bit off though....

it's not a repulsion to working less, and having more money....it's a repulsion to having less money....

i mean, the nanny state thing....it's about government interference in one's life...it's about government being involved in every aspect of one's daily affairs....government trying to be everything to everyone. that's not how our system was designed to work. we weren't to have a massive federal government that ran everything in the country.

the single biggest problem with obamacare is that it is a complete lie...if it were there to drive prices down, and make medical services available to all, that would be a wonderful thing...but it's not about that, it's about feeding the companies that wrote the legislation more money...it's the government saying "you're gonna buy this product, and if you can't afford this product, we're gonna take your money anyway, and when you can't afford that anymore, we're gonna start liquidating what you have", it's the government putting a gun to your head and saying "we're gonna help you, whether you want it or not"

if it were a program to make it available to everyone, should they choose to buy it, that would be fine...it's the forced purchase, that i don't agree with in the slightest...it's institutionalized extortion, and robbery...

i actually found out from a guy i know in the financial industry that if you choose not buy coverage, you'll be fined 90 dollars by the IRS for the first year...and then the fine grows with every year you don't buy coverage....that ain't right..

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
OK firstly I'm not American and secondly forgive me if I'm a little left wing....

I think Pelosi has a point there (even though I dont really agree with everything she says).

I dont see any reason why working less hours is a problem. The only reason why people want to work 40 hours a week (thats what we have all become used to because of the system) is to be able to make more money and to buy all those lovely things we all wish we could afford. Yes I agree theres nothing wrong with wanting a big house and a sweet ride etc. but I think as a society we are becoming less and less creative and using less of our abilities. If we spent more time focusing on our passions and working on what we as individuals can do best to contribute to society instead of sitting for 40 hours a week working for companies that to be honest 1. dont care about us and 2. dont care about the rest of the world but themselves, the world can be a better place. We are still a long way away from changing the system, but it can be done...

Start focusing on the positives and moving away from the negatives

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

what she was saying was a bad attempt to deflect the question, and spin to some pie in the sky nonsense...

the simple fact of the matter is that she was asked about people losing money because of lost hours, and said that she thinks overwhelmingly, that the policy that is causing that is a good thing.....

no matter how one spins this, she is still saying that americans losing work and money is a good thing.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
It depends on what end of the payscale you're on. If you're at or near minimum wage, what you're making as it is isn't anywhere near enough. If you're still making above $75,000 a year at reduced hours, I'd say you're still pretty golden. (If you seriously believe you need more than that you're either greedy, live in a region that's overpriced, or don't manage money very well. If not all of those.)

I'm sure we all know what end of the payscale Pelosi and her friends are, so that's where her thinking comes from.

In some ways it'd be nice if better paying jobs opened up because people were willing to take more personal time and employers would let them. But the work-work culture of this country likely means that ain't ever going to happen.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Nancy Pelosi is California's way of flipping off the sheople of 'Merka. This woman is dumber than 'jungle fever' Palin. Her only usefulness is putting a positive spin on really bad ideas.

Marx would have referred to her as one of the "useful idiots."

There ... I said it.

ETA: If retirement is based on your status as a full time employee ... If the Social Security system is in fact insolvent ???
edit on 1102013 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

sqorpius
She is in congress because of only one reason, people elected her. As long as we have ignorant people sending these clowns, including the present POTUS to D.C., the stupidity will continue. This goes on throughout the country. Want to cast blame? Look in the mirror or towards your next door neighbor.
edit on 1-10-2013 by sqorpius because: punctuation

We have people like Barney Franks who was basically the architect for the failure of Freddie May and Fanny Mac and the whole housing debacle and it took him to retire to get him out of office....

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtfuldeliquent

Unfortunately the idea of free enterprise dies the more you manage the economy.

Which is why letting corporations run the country is such a rotten idea.

The corporations are doing everything they can do to eliminate free enterprise.

If the people woke up and threw off the corporate yoke, we might rediscover free enterprise.

Cutting the full time work week to 20 hours would be a good start.

It would be nice to find a way to bloody the noses of these neo corporate masters.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Considering how the US public got completely scammed by the banks during the Gee Dubya / Darth Cheney years, we need a government to write bankruptcy laws to let everyone walk away from all those trumped up loans.

Time the fed gov bailed out the U.S. public.

If the people were to wake up and start voting for politicians who represented their own best interests.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

It is corporations thriving on part time workers who are driving small businesses out of the market.

Illegal immigration is killing the US middle class.

If corporations were forced to pay benefits for people working over 20 hours a week, then they might start demanding insurance reform.

Most small businesses hire full time people, construction, printers, service providers, real estate sales, and niche markets.

The ridiculously outrageous rise of healthcare costs and health insurance is killing everyone, but of course, the insurance providers, drug companies, bankers and such.

IMO, everyone who falls for this scam is a sucker.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MyHappyDogShiner

I am not really seeing how this post applies to mine, to which you are replying, but a few comments.

In this modern day you can't save enough money to pay for those little surprises, when a trip to the emergency room these days, a few MRIs and an Xray will set you back 25 Grand.

In the NWO in which we live, all I see is lots of political backstabbing, and not a whole lot of work getting done.

I enjoy the work I do for a living, it is all the little yappers that make it all such a pain.

What is sad is how much time people work, and get so little done these days, and get even less out of life.

I see nothing to be jealous about.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

Considering there probably isn't a republican in congress with enough brain cells to rub two together,

Doesn't that make Pelosi one of the more intelligent members of the HOR?

or maybe just average.

edit on 1-10-2013 by poet1b because: change accronym.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
The U.S. is a corporation and it's the job of the corporation to maximize profits, hence why they have to file a CAFR every year. They, along with every other government entity from the state and local levels. The FED. Reserve is a private corporation and this is all smoke and mirrors.

No one ever wants to talk about CAFR, but if the American people really found out what is going on there would be a revolution by tomorrow, but the media wont talk about it. We have watch dogs down here in Tallahassee, and I have personally contacted them and none of them will even respond about CAFR despite the information I have given to them.

It's all a game and we are the pawns. I personally think it all needs to implode, we need to sort the wheat and chaff, and once the dust settles we can rebuild. Of course, I know the only thing that will happen is the jack booted thugs paid for their masters will come in and start killing everyone, and the only outcome will be lots of elites left and boot licking slaves.
edit on 2-10-2013 by UnifiedSerenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

poet1b
Considering there probably isn't a republican in congress with enough brain cells to rub two together,

Doesn't that make Pelosi one of the more intelligent members of the HOR?

or maybe just average.

Not at all, It's pretty clear that she is the Queen basket case. Course I would throw every single last one of them on both sides out of office and start fresh with term limits. ~$heopleNation

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join