It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nancy Pelosi: Death of 40 Hour Work Week Frees Americans to Pursue Happiness

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

In the real world folks are now working two 28 hour jobs. The new work week is 56 hours folks! I looked today and I can get a nice plan with a $10,000 deductible for around $120 a month. Nice Obama nice!
edit on 30-9-2013 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
How do these people run your country America.

It's an honest question... from Nancy Pelosi's sociopathic rhetoric to Vice President Joe Biden blindly promoting felonies with his "Grab a shotgun, point it at the door and shoot" home defense tactics... how do you as a nation, allow these people who are absolutely out of touch with reality to get into such positions of power?

But I guess the same could be said about other former and current world leaders like Sarkozy and Merkel. We are run by criminals.
edit on 30-9-2013 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Donkey_Dean

My football team is going to suck for a minute...it's going to be hard for a while but we will get high draft picks and come out of it a better team.

American economy is going to suck and hurt for a while because we have to get rid of all this dead weight and bad habits.

The bad habits are people were working themselves to death to buy inflated products, homes, cars, etc. People site "what the market will bear" and that's a lie. What the market does is raise their prices (for no other reason than to maximize their profit) to what people busting their butts can pay or borrow. It shouldn't be like that!

Yeah the price of resources is being raised leading to a domino effect, but that needs to be checked also. There were a time when business owners were satisfied with making enough to survive with a little extra to live decent. That then went to them wanting to be rich! Everyone wants to be rich now...and the price for their labor or products reflect this.

Everyone is having their pay adjusted which will result in the price of living being adjusted and stuff being repriced to an affordable level.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

That's part of what is causing the economy to tank also, people with lower incomes being priced out of the market completely because they can't afford to buy certain items any more.

The really big problem though, is that there are no price controls on the things people need. Just because everyone needs something, it should be unlawful to gouge, which most sellers are doing.

I know a lot of business types will say "but that will reduce profits, can't have that", but that's what has to be done.

To everyone, or no one, or it's discrimination.

If food assistance was eliminated our economy would look a lot worse, by the way, but that's another subject, well maybe not....

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

And ya know?, Corporations used to be unlawful in the U.S., bet ya dinna know dat.....

They was part of them reasons we had that there revolutionary war thingie.

Ebdy fergot.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

buster2010
Compared to the rest of the world we are overworked. On average Americans work a month more a year than the rest of the world.

Home> U.S. Americans Work More Than Anyone

And Obamacare really can't be blamed for corporate greed.

Ask a farmer if you're overworked? What you mean is that the rest of the world is underworked, living in a bunch of nanny states waiting for their government to guide them, nurture them and take care of them. I direct this to those countries whom you refer...it's not all countries out there.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I'm all for working less, if you could maintain a similar lifestyle. However, I do not see that happening over here where I am

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Daedalus

see, i think you have it a bit wrong here...

yes, there are people who enjoy their work..i used to be one of them, until they started abusing me....

i'm pretty sure a lot of us would like to work less...we'd like to have more free time to do other things, but unfortunately, as i said to someone else; money makes the world go round.

it's not a self esteem thing, it's a matter of being able to afford what we need to live....housing, food, clothing, medical expenses, transportation, and if we're lucky, luxuries....

But I think the comments here show some very deep repulsions to the sorts of system that would make working less- having more money possible. Like the comments about countries that do being "nanny states" with people sitting around waiting for the state to nurture and care for them.

I am familiar with this deep rooted value because I share it, as I said. I have been saying similar things since I got here. I now find myself in a strange position of seeing another side I didn't before- that is that what I considered a "nanny state" is a government of the people. It isn't a separate entity. The people get involved.
I am feeling pressured here to get involved in politics because it is just expected of everyone.

The laws the government makes to restrain the corporations and protect the people are pushed forward BY the PEOPLE. They won't let the corporations buy out their government.

If you are working 50 hour weeks and still can't afford an apartment and food to eat, perhaps it means your loyalties are misdirected? Somewhere, the big corporations and businesses that so many are worried about displeasing or causing difficulty for aren't coming through for you! It might be time to take the reins and get involved in politics, at least local.

But oh yeah, you can't, you are working 50 hours a week and scraping to find food. Ay least you are not being a lazy child leaning on a nanny state. (nor an adult using your government as a force to protect your people from predators within the country).
(I use "you" in general terms, not you especially, poster)

I sound harsh, I apologize ; I am probably feeling defensive after reading the insults against other countries. The thing is, as a politician, when the people are crying out that things are not okay as they are, one thing they try to do is look around and see other possibilities- what is working for others out there?

That is what they are trying to do. Yet, trying to make systems that work elsewhere adapted to the US isn't easy, because the people are resisting change at the same time they say they want it. This Obamacare is ridiculous, mostly because it tries to appease the peoples loyalty to big business and corporations, and avoid making the people feel dependant.

But it seems they are dependant already, they just don't want to admit it because their masters are free corporations! "If the master is free, that must mean I am too."

Sorry to rant. My passion is born of care for my own countrymen and women. I'll get off my soapbox now.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
People need to stop listening to this ding bat she never makes any sense hell I'm listening to her now on cspan and I have no clue on what she was talking about.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I find myself a bit lost for words after seeing that.

This is the most monstrous thing I've heard from a politician's mouth in recent memory.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

TruthxIsxInxThexMist

What are you saying is wrong?

Pelosi is right.... working less hours per week does allow us/you to pursue your/our happiness... it does make people more happy to do what they want to do in life!

Yeah to bad that 99.999% of everything you want to do to be happy in life costs money.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
we are on the cusp of something beautiful, whereby life
and living can be as they were always meant to be - in love, harmony, tolerance
and understanding, and without any and all the financial hardships/slaveries.
Pelosi is just playing her part/role, as all the rest are, and soon, very soon,
all will become abundantly clear.
now we are being educated (think on all the fake stories we are being bombarded
with - and all their past and present implications) so that we will never relinquish
our real and true power again.

now is the time for reflection, just before the time comes to rejoice.

I say this in earnest and in all seriousness.

life is beautiful beyond belief.

we made it, my friends.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

Your reasoning is so flawed, you assume the employer is responsible to provide for an employee. They are not. Companies are not started with the goal of seeing how many people they can take care of, they are started to make, gasp, a profit. Emplyees are hired, and THEY sign the dotted line on the wage offered...if they do not like it, they do not need to accept a job. It's funny, all these protests over wal mart, fast food joints, etc...these are not jobs one would aspire to hold to make a life off of, no, they are STARTING POINTS...you would have employers pay someone 60,000 a year to push carts...no, your thinking is flawed, no matter how smart you think you are.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

FlyersFan
Nancy Pelosi gave an interview to CNN about Obamacare. The statement came up that Obamacare is killing the 40 hour work week (because employers are dropping people to part time work to avoid paying for Obamacare) and therefore people aren't earning what they need to survive. Pelosi's IGNORANT response ... " the less hours worked will free Americans to persue their happiness ".

Seriously .. what planet is this idiot from???

Come on, she only wants everyone to be like her where they would only need to work 15 hours per week and get like 3 months a year vacation for 217k. What is so wrong with that?

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Pelosi should be ecstatic about the shutdown. Look at all those federal workers that have all their time to pursue their dreams of happiness. Instead of fetching her coffee, they can make chalk drawings on the sidewalk all over DC now.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   

George Soros got Married at his Wrinkly Old Age. The man freely says in public interviews that he would like America to lose the Dollar & it's sovereignty for a global Dollar & Global Law. New World Order. The fact that she is rubbing shoulders with that man shows how disgusting she really is. I am so tired of these people working against us, as if we are their enemy. I'm sorry if I don't want my country to switch to Marxism, Communism or whatever the hell you people believe in call it.

America needs Change. Sadly I don't think it can come through this current institution. That's Media, Political, Science, Corporations, education. ect. Almost every corner of Power is corrupt and beyond fixing.

It's Scary & Sad but I see some really Horrible days ahead in our near future. I wonder what the History Books or whatever records will say about us from the year 2000- 2300. Will we even be here anymore in 200 years? That's how bad it's become here & especially around the world.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

" the less hours worked will free Americans to persue their happiness "

I did not hear her say those exact words. I believe she was referring to happiness as in finding a path that all are happy with in the health care law and not the cut of a 40 hour work week. The article tends to be misleading as well. What she did do was spin the question and Crowley aided her with the answer. heh

*NOTE* I am not a fan of Pelosi, I find her rather odd. I also do NOT support the health care law AKA Obamacare. My reply is in all fairness.
edit on 1-10-2013 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

FlyersFan
FACT - Pelosi was addressing the statement about the 40 hour work week going away when she said it was 'liberating'. So all you far left folks who are trying to spin it that she was talking about Obamacare ... NOPE.

No that's a flat out lie. This thread belongs in the HOAX bin. Post the quote and prove me wrong.

FlyersFan
FACT - OWS has big money backing from SOROS.

Evidence? OWS hasn't done anything since forever. What exactly are they doing with all that 'big money'?

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Konduit

How do these people run your country America.

We don't know, it is a great mystery to all of us.

We don't even know who is electing them.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

buster2010
Compared to the rest of the world we are overworked. On average Americans work a month more a year than the rest of the world.

Home> U.S. Americans Work More Than Anyone

And Obamacare really can't be blamed for corporate greed.

ROFL!!! Corporate greed???? You may need to rethink that. Corporations do not require a family to purchase 3 brand new cars, does require every room to have a plasma TV and does not require you to have 589 channels of TV or eat out every night. It's people that are greedy as they need to compete with the Jones so they need to work 2 FT jobs to pay for their toys that they rarely enjoy because they are always working!

Don't blame corporations for our greed. We demand good stuff at cheap prices so we can have a bunch of toys. Corporations are only answering our needs.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join