It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Sheikh warns women that driving could affect ovaries and pelvis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
riyadhconnect.com...

Saudi Sheikh Saleh Bin Saad Al-Luhaydan, Private Attorney General and the Psychological Advisor of the Psychological Association in the Gulf states, advised Saudi women to prioritize mind over heart.

www.foxnews.com...

"Physiological science" has found that driving "automatically affects the ovaries and pushes up the pelvis," Sheikh Saleh al-Luhaydan warned women in remarks to local news website Sabq.org.

"This is why we find that children born to most women who continuously drive suffer from clinical disorders of varying degrees," he said.

Saudi Arabia imposes other restrictions on women, including a requirement to cover themselves from head to toe when in public.

Remarks On Women's Ovaries Expose Saudi Cleric To Ridicule from NPR

www.dailystar.com.lb...

Luhaydan, a member of the senior Ulema (Muslim scholars) Commission and former head of the Supreme Judicial Council, said that "evidence from the Quran and Sunna (the teachings of the Prophet Mohammed) completely prohibit (women's driving) on moral and social background."

Saudi Arabia is the ONLY COUNTRY that prohibits women driving...
what nonsense. And what really bothers me is his "title" in the first extext above:
Private Attorney General and the Psychological Advisor of the Psychological Association in the Gulf states

He's WHAT?

Well, he was sacked by the King 4 years ago
(from the fox site: )

As one of the 21 members of the Senior Council of Scholars, Sheikh Saleh al-Lohaidan can write fatwas, or religious edicts, advise the government and has a large following among other influential conservatives.

His comments have in the past played into debates in Saudi society and he has been a vocal opponent of tentative reforms to increase freedoms for women by King Abdullah, who sacked him as head of a top judiciary council in 2009.

In an interview published on Friday on the website sabq.org, he said women aiming to overturn the ban on driving should put "reason ahead of their hearts, emotions and passions".

Although the council does not set Saudi policy, which is ultimately decided by King Abdullah, it can slow government action in a country where the ruling al-Saud family derives much of its legitimacy from the clerical elite.

It is unclear whether Lohaidan's strong endorsement of the ban is shared by other members of the council, but his comments demonstrate how entrenched the opposition is to women driving among some conservative Saudis.

This is ridiculously backward thinking. Of course, it sparked outrage on social media and as of an hour or so ago, it's ALL OVER the news.

Yes, it's propaganda to make "Islam" (at least some of its clerics) look like idiots and misogynists...
but, it's also apparently TRUE.

What sort of people are running that country? Obviously ones who don't want women to have rights.

I do want to note, however, again, that Saudi Arabia is THE ONLY COUNTRY that disallows driving for women.
This in itself adds some better understanding of Islam in general; and helps, in a way, to dispell a lot of the DISinformation regarding Islam that we are daily bombarded with.

If already posted, mods, do your thing!

edit on 9/29/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Yeah...that...okay
Not even gonna touch it, it is so outrageous!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

These idiots just make me mad! I have heard talk of women gaining the legal right to drive in Saudi Arabia but what good will it do them if religious leaders propagate bull malarkey from the temple telling them that driving will put their children at risk? Those folks take their religious leader's word as law no matter how much medical facts contradict the message of the month.

It's just like surface cleaning: Company can come in and everything looks good, but my Lord don't open the end table drawer or the foyer closet!
Act like you're going to give them a right but then preach against it in a land where religion trumps law- I need an aspirin!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Oh, yes, because driving is so much different from just sitting. You've got the whole steering wheel thing, not to mention the foot pedal action.

Other similar situations that may prove hazardous to a woman's health:

Sitting and reading a book.
Sitting at a table and eating a meal.
Sitting at the nail salon and getting a mani/pedi.
Sitting in front of a laptop.
Sitting and talking on the phone.
Sitting and working the remote to the TV.

The list of potential sitting and doing any sort of activity is simply staggering.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Damn those Arabs are smart... Why didn't we think of this 50 years ago....

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Truth! I do not know if I think this guy believes the words he says or if he knows he is lying. I really miss your cat avatars.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

maria_stardust
Oh, yes, because driving is so much different from just sitting. You've got the whole steering wheel thing, not to mention the foot pedal action.

Other similar situations that may prove hazardous to a woman's health:

Sitting and reading a book.
Sitting at a table and eating a meal.
Sitting at the nail salon and getting a mani/pedi.
Sitting in front of a laptop.
Sitting and talking on the phone.
Sitting and working the remote to the TV.

The list of potential sitting and doing any sort of activity is simply staggering.

Maybe if you spent all your days caring for your man you wouldn't have time to sit. You would either be standing or lying down. You know, we need to protect those ovaries...

edit on 29-9-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

groingrinder
reply to post by littled16

Truth! I do not know if I think this guy believes the words he says or if he knows he is lying. I really miss your cat avatars.

You are so right. Word!

I will most likely return to the kitties eventually. They are for my grandgirl because she is usually in my lap and loves them but she has been amusing herself more these days so I was able to take a break from them. Sooner or later she will ask where her kitties are and I will have to change back to normal.

edit on 9/29/13 by littled16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Tread carefully. The ice is starting to crack around your feet.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Ah you got to love those cheeky Saudis eh, what fun japes and tomfoolery. These are the good despotic nutters that repress torture and execute their people. Nothing at all like the bad nutters that torture, repress and execute their people in Iran.

Thats why they are fully supported by the USA and the rest of the west. No hypocrisy here, nope none at all, move along folks. Move along.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

LOL!! Excellent post, maria...I was thinking the same thing.

So next they'll try to insist that women must STAND at all times?
*eyeroll*

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

evidence from the Quran and Sunna (the teachings of the Prophet Mohammed) completely prohibit (women's driving) on moral and social background."

Evidence from the Quran? How, I don't think they had cars back then.

Another note, if it is bad for women's ovaries and reproduction, think what it (driving) is probably doing to his junk.

I'm a woman, was in Saudi, and I drove several types of vehicles, even a big truck. When we were in the north one of the locals couldn't understand why I liked driving (while there I actually didn't have a choice). I did say I liked driving my own car.
edit on 29-9-2013 by Merlynn because: additional comment

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Merlynn

I know! Right?

My husband said, "More like women driving would screw with the men's 'balls' [misogynist arrogance]" --

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The King is in favor of letting women drive. There is a strong societal push for letting women drive in Saudi Arabia, so it should finally happen within the next few years at most.

From the speed of progress there, they can hope to be allowed to wear bathing suits within the next 500 years and bikinis within the next 700.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

LOL!
Have you heard about the "burqini"? A swim-suit designed for the modest Muslim woman.

Do a search for 'burqini' - there are loads of them available. Even for little girls.

(Although, as a fair-skinned red-head, I should really avoid sun exposure myself...but I haven't been swimming or 'laid out' in the sun for YEARS).

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I've seen them in UAE. They actually look better than that. It gets hot in the summer and at a water park (tons of them in UAE) I saw one woman nearly head to toe in a black one. Hopefully she stayed in the water. At the same water park another woman was wearing a thong bikini, she was probably European, but they aren't suppose to wear suits that skimpy.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
And sitting on the Swimmer Factory is more ideal how? o.O Saudi Arabian culture confuses the F out of me sometimes (ok, the majority of the time) Are they really this dense over there?

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
so, it`s still ok for women to ride in a car as passenger thought, right? Whats the difference between being the passenger or being the driver they are still sitting in a car.

Is it the sitting that causes the medical problems? Women sit in many other places besides in cars.

is it the sitting in a moving vehicle that causes the medical problems? as a passenger they are still sitting in a moving vehicle.

Is it the operation of the steering wheel and pedals while sitting in a moving vehicle that causes the medical problems? as a passenger in a moving vehicle they are moving their feet and legs and using their hands to do things.

Do the saudi people actually believe this stuff or do they just pretend to believe it so as not to anger the grand poobah and risk having their heads cut off?
I want to think that they have enough sense and critical thinking skills to know that there is no difference that would cause medical problems between being a passenger sitting in a car and a driver sitting in a car.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

so, it`s still ok for women to ride in a car as passenger thought, right?

Yep!
One would have to think their reproductive structure is also in peril just riding in a car.

I don't know what to think about this dinosaur...or WHY he has the title he does.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

wildtimes
What sort of people are running that country?

Rich misogynistic backwards sharia-luv'n idiots. It's pretty obvious.
These men are afraid of women and not secure in their own manhood.
They claim to use Islam to 'protect' women.
But in reality they are just beating the women down because they
are insecure about their own position in life. It's disgusting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join