It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tattoos on Women.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

dreamingawake At least that's what I read about with the recent tattoo fair in England to the effect of, "tired of the trendies".

Too funny you mentioned that. I got my first tattoo in 2000 in Workington, Cumbria, England

Great shop. Friendly guy doing the work. We drank a pint each while he was doing the work and I was getting it. A great experience.

I do agree, I wish it wasn't as trendy as it is now. I personally dislike the whole "oh, I have a tattoo...I got it to honor such & such". Like it was something you just "do" because "everyone does it". BLARGHHH. Do it because it is IMPORTANT TO YOU. Don't give a FRAK what it will or won't mean to anyone else in the world. That is wasted effort.

I feel sympathy for those that get them for past loved ones. I can see the idea behind wanting to have something to always remind you of them. I can honestly say, when my Son Atlas (an English Bulldog, and most likely the only Son I'll ever have...apparently I am genetically disposed towards doing my part in creating beautiful little girls) passes, I intend to have either a small bit of his hair or of his nails burned (and thus sterilized), powdered and mixed with the ink, and I have a spot that I am saving just for him. He has meant so much to me in my life, taught me so much about myself, and it is absolutely unfair (IMHO) that we live so long in comparison to the lifespan my Atlas has.

Oh well, I'll stop pontificating. I just thought it neat and a little ironic when I read your mention of the UK and tattooing

- SN

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

WhiteAlice
reply to post by Metallicus

I was actually nabbed by a professional photographer soon after I got my dragon because of my beauty and elegance and my dragon. I'm a woman who actually went through finishing school type of rearing. I don't stomp, I glide. I keep my knees together when getting in and out of a car. I cross my legs only at the ankles, knees always together. My handshake is of a perfect firmness. My napkin stays in my lap, my pinky stays down when holding a tea cup. I don't eat with my mouth open or chew gum like a cow. My fork doesn't screech across my teeth or my plate and I set my knife neatly down on the edge of my plate when not currently in use. I'm such a type of woman that when I needed to pick up a set of Denby china and realized that I had forgotten my wallet at home, the store manager took my word that my account number was in fact mine and charged over $600 in china on my card. I had two tattoos at the time.

I see all sorts of trashy behavior whenever out the door. I see young women in short skirts flopping into their car and basically giving most of the planet a view only their significant other or gynecologist should have. Mouths flopping open in restaurants or god forbid, stuffing a napkin in one's shirt. Those kind of things are more of an indicator of a rearing that didn't include etiquette and maybe a little trashiness than tattoos. My mother always told me that it is not what you are wearing that makes you a lady because poor rearing will still shine through. A real lady can be caught wearing a ratty old t-shirt, overalls, and no make up and still not be mistaken for anything but being a lady.

I can only imagine that you are one gorgeous soul....

The rest is a dream.

- SN

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

Its sad to here you talk about me the way you have,my feelings towards you are quite the opposite I have valued your opinions in the past, we cant always see eye to eye on the same topics.Or have the same opinions,hey we are all different in our ways of thinking maybe we should value our free speech and not bastardize others for their opinions. Imafungi you usually are a nice person so I am surprised at your attacking comments I hope you take care.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SadistNocturne

NP, thanks for sharing. Beautiful what you have planned in memorial.
Though, the view from the fair was interesting as well, I highly respect the ancient art and the purveyors of the modern moment of body modification. And as my current project of learning to tattoo, however long it takes for me to obtain professional perfection as well as my own, and in respect for it.

I know I'm not really one to act like that as mentioned, "have the trendies believe tattoos are ...ugly, gross, etc" so they "quit doing it", but have a sneaking suspicion there's quite a few out there that would like a push for it. Partly I can understand that, especially when it taints quality and art and pushing negative stereotypes. Seems like most forums I have encountered lately to observe are ranting about tattoos ad how they are still connected to people who behave badly, have no respect for society. Leaves one with wondering, is there a trend backlash coming?

While I don't believe they will ever been fully mainstream accepted, just more accepted as they are now seen with employment in some places, younger people more than ever have them, as these people age things will change, the stigmas will lessen. However, you aren't going to see people covered heavily in the workplace and beyond other then tattoo shops, and other places that market the looks.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I'm on record saying I believe anyone should be able to have a tattoo, so that's not an issue with me. However, choices have consequences. Just look at my friend up there with the head bumps.

Would you hire him?

And what do his choices say about him. Is he a really intelligent guy, do you think? Would you trust him with your sister? Your child? Do you think he drinks to excess or has issues with unlawful substances?

He's basically unemployable and has relegated himself to a life of poverty or maybe a carnival side show. he's made himself into a joke. (Or he may be a trust fund baby, who knows?) But the point still stands. People who do these sorts of things shut out opportunities of all sorts. And when you do things that are permanent, those doors are shut permanently as well. People may be very proud of themselves for making a statement that they do not conform, but at a certain point they have no choice in the matter. Ironically, making a choice means they have none.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

I didnt mean to attack you or your comments, just to try and show how meaningless opinions are, and I was offended that you thought a whole minority of women should care what you think about them, or hint that there was a problem with them, their decisions, or society, because women are individuals and make decisions on their own. You can say and think anything you want, just as anyone else can, I can make a thread claiming how I dislike girls that dont have big tattoos all over their bodies, I can make a thread ostracizing those that do not like vanilla ice cream, or those that refuse to date me, or those that wear sweatpants in public, or too much makeup, but why should anyone else care about what I think about them, why and how should my opinion affect them, what were you looking for in making this thread, validation from others that share your opinion? Should have had that warning in your title (Only respond in this thread if you share my opinion, no girls with tattoos aloud).

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Dont you think that pic you posted represents an extreme in relation to the OPs dilemma which is "I have recently became single,and I am noticing it is getting very difficult to find a woman that isn't covered with the damn things". I cant imagine where the OP lives, I personally would have to struggle very hard to have difficulty finding a woman that isnt covered in tattoos and I live just outside NYC. I do not think the problem lies with the population of women who choose to get tattoos in the OPs area, nor do I feel sorry for the OP for finding all these women that unfortunately are ruined by their decisions but surprisingly find something attractive about the OP in that they are not combatant in being found by him. My advice would be go out to higher scale bars and clubs, or coffee shops or whatever you do to meet these women, and perhaps join a dating website like christianmingle or tattoolesspeoplemeet.com.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

schuyler
I'm on record saying I believe anyone should be able to have a tattoo, so that's not an issue with me. However, choices have consequences. Just look at my friend up there with the head bumps.

Would you hire him?

And what do his choices say about him. Is he a really intelligent guy, do you think? Would you trust him with your sister? Your child? Do you think he drinks to excess or has issues with unlawful substances?

He's basically unemployable and has relegated himself to a life of poverty or maybe a carnival side show. he's made himself into a joke. (Or he may be a trust fund baby, who knows?) But the point still stands. People who do these sorts of things shut out opportunities of all sorts. And when you do things that are permanent, those doors are shut permanently as well. People may be very proud of themselves for making a statement that they do not conform, but at a certain point they have no choice in the matter. Ironically, making a choice means they have none.

Wow.

Replace that photo with the photo of a black man, and put yourself back fifty years in time. Ask yourself the same questions. Can you walk away from that experiment and feel good about yourself?

I think there's a chance I could be rather accurate in some assumptions about this man in the photo that you provided. I say this, because I have known others like him. Not quite as extreme, but as they say, the apple rarely falls far from the tree. I feel that although I am semi-qualified through limited experience to make certain assumptions and statements about his state of mind or his person, I do not believe it would be in the slightest bit fair. Neither of us know this man. Neither of us know what his life has been like. What he dreams of, or what haunts him.

....Back to the experiment....

Now, I know, the words on your tongue are "but you folks have done this to yourself willingly, an african american (or african for that matter...christ I hate labels) is born that way and has no choice"....Hand tight...we'll get to that in a moment.

Body modification is extreme, I'll give you that. This is why I am against "just everyone" getting a tattoo, as it is body modification, and it IS extreme.

People do it for various reasons. Just as people are undergoing gender reassignment surgery. This is the ultimate body modification. When you get a tattoo, have silicon horns implanted on your forehead, or have nipple piercings, or have a gender reassignment, you are saying "My body doesn't appropriately represent me, and I need to change it". For some, it is nowhere near as deeply a felt need. I am not about to say the need for expression through a tattoo is the same as the need to be publicly identified as the gender you are inside. But, at their core, I feel the reasons for doing both are the same, IMHO.

Whether you feel the need to express yourself in as narcissistic of a measure as a purely aesthetic modification (such as my own tattoos, which are for me, therefore, they are narcissistic by definition), or in the manner of asserting your own correct gender versus that with which you were born, I do feel they are much the same on the very microscopic level.

One way or the other, one genesis for the meaning/intention of it or another, your assertion that someone's appearance and thus their willful change to their appearance is sufficient reason to judge them. Hmm.

I have a problem with this.

What is attractive today, history has shown, does not stand the test of time.

What is considered "appropriate" today for one social situation or another, history has shown, does not stand the test of time.

We are a malleable race of creatures. Times, experiences, stress, loves, desires, all of these things influence us. And what influences us as an individual does eventually have *some* impact on all of us as a race.

Your statements show a sense of static perception/reasoning. They highlight a lack of acceptance. A lack of willingness to get to know the person for who they are. A lack of understanding. Ultimately, a lack of empathy.

Now, what I will warn you of, not that I am judging or labeling you mind you, is that a distinct lack of empathy is a primary trait of being a psychopath. I throw this into the mix, because if I were in your shoes, I think I would want to see an opposite viewpoint, one that help me relate to where I am in my thinking currently as opposed to where I'd like to be. I often seek out the viewpoint of those I know do not think the way I do, just or this very purpose. Think of as a measure of checks and balances.

Please don't get upset at what I've said. Please just think about it. Consider it from the point of view I've offered. I do not expect you or anyone else to come running to me claiming that I've shown you the light. But, I do hope I give you pause for introspection.

- SN

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I do find some well planed tattoos on women attractive.Some of the people criticizing my opinion,how would they react to someone with devil horn implants would you find it attractive,would you date someone who expressed themselves in that way, would you treat someone like that differently? To each their own.. The reason I really started this thread was to make people think more about the commitment they are making and how what they do may affect them in life.I know a guy who has two handguns tattooed on his face. It is sad he cant get a good job.He is a nice guy very well mannered.

Some people may like blonds and prefer them more than brunets.Some people some people don't. I just think its the fad I am annoyed with the most.It seems every one just has to have one. And it doesn't seem to have meaning any more.I have seen way too many duplicate tattoos out there.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

dreamingawake

NP, thanks for sharing. Beautiful what you have planned in memorial.
Though, the view from the fair was interesting as well, I highly respect the ancient art and the purveyors of the modern moment of body modification. And as my current project of learning to tattoo, however long it takes for me to obtain professional perfection as well as my own, and in respect for it.

I know I'm not really one to act like that as mentioned, "have the trendies believe tattoos are ...ugly, gross, etc" so they "quit doing it", but have a sneaking suspicion there's quite a few out there that would like a push for it. Partly I can understand that, especially when it taints quality and art and pushing negative stereotypes. Seems like most forums I have encountered lately to observe are ranting about tattoos ad how they are still connected to people who behave badly, have no respect for society. Leaves one with wondering, is there a trend backlash coming?

While I don't believe they will ever been fully mainstream accepted, just more accepted as they are now seen with employment in some places, younger people more than ever have them, as these people age things will change, the stigmas will lessen. However, you aren't going to see people covered heavily in the workplace and beyond other then tattoo shops, and other places that market the looks.

Any chance you're working out of the US, or are you from the UK (as I would be want to think, considering you were at the UK festival, etc) ?

If you are based in the US, I'd love to see some of your work and possibly work with you (given the stuff I'd like to get done)....If you're in the UK, I do have reason to find myself there from time to time, would still love to see your work, and if you're anywhere near the Lake District (Cumbria, et al), I could probably finagle managing to make it your way

Drop me a line via U2U private message...I sent you one a few minutes ago...

- SN

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

I mainly wrote this thread to make people think more about what they make permanent. Maybe you find a woman with a gruesome demon face on there back attractive or you may not.I have just seen to many people regret what they have done to themselves.Yes their choice.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

enament

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I do find some well planed tattoos on women attractive.Some of the people criticizing my opinion,how would they react to someone with devil horn implants would you find it attractive,would you date someone who expressed themselves in that way, would you treat someone like that differently? To each their own.. The reason I really started this thread was to make people think more about the commitment they are making and how what they do may affect them in life.I know a guy who has two handguns tattooed on his face. It is sad he cant get a good job.He is a nice guy very well mannered.

Some people may like blonds and prefer them more than brunets.Some people some people don't. I just think its the fad I am annoyed with the most.It seems every one just has to have one. And it doesn't seem to have meaning any more.I have seen way too many duplicate tattoos out there.

You know enament, honestly, I think it is the typical response, mine included, to launch a nuclear response in regards to something you don't agree with. But it does not make it right.

So for that, I was a bit harsh, and I apologize. I was however just trying to make a point. That point being that it's merely a physical trait. Yes, a permanent one, but again, just a physical trait. What is important is on the inside. I know, how trite. How easy to say, but it is the truth.

I do appreciate that you took the time to get to the core of what I was saying, and reflected on it. That is all I could possibly ask.

Aesthetically, I do not necessarily appreciate much of what I see people adorn themselves with as far as tattoos go. Personally, I don't even really love the one my wife has. But it is a small thing, a dot, compared to the ocean that she is in comparison.

As to people going extreme, well, honestly, one has to consider that there are psychological influences involved. How do they perceive the world, and how do they want the world to know that they themselves wish to be perceived? Honestly, mine, although not duel pistols on the side of my face, are something akin to quills on a porcupine. That is, if you consider the emotional place I am coming from when I put them there. In a way, I want people to stay the hell away. I can imagine the person you talk about with the facial tattoos must feel the same way. But, I chose a relatively conservative way (considering I can wear a long sleeve shirt to cover mine) to express my feelings.

But at the end of the day, that is it. We are expressing our feelings.

Have you ever asked someone why they got the tattoo they have? I mean, sincerely, genuinely asked? You might be surprised at the response you get. It might ring a bell inside you didn't know you had within you. It may even change the way you see that person.

- SN

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I have found tattoo magazines interesting to look at. What you wrote to me earlier helped me define what it is that I am finding uncomfortable about them. I did take the time to think about the things you mentioned. Your perspective had an influence on me.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

enament

I have found tattoo magazines interesting to look at. What you wrote to me earlier helped me define what it is that I am finding uncomfortable about them. I did take the time to think about the things you mentioned. Your perspective had an influence on me.

I'm glad you thought about it

Sure, it helps you're slowly coming over to the darkside where we have cookies
...but, the fact is, what matters is that you were open to hearing new ideas. Considering them. Listening and hearing.

That makes you pretty damned cool in my book.

- SN

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I personally don't judge people but I worry about how others think about them. My step sister was the last straw for me and kind of made me write this thread. I have herd others remark about peoples tattoos who would date her or who would hire him, or does that ever look stupid. etc. I worry about my step sister being treated differently.

I have found some tattoos attractive. Depends on where they are and what they are and whether it is excess or not.While looking at tattoo magazines at work I spotted a real bad tattoo,one of my work mates who happens to be all tattooed up agreed with me on why would you get a tattoo like that. His are a little excessive some are cool some are not. I have trouble with why people would get demons tattooed on them.

I am wondering might part of the attraction be therapeutic liking the pain kind of like the feeling when you get acupuncture or a massage?

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

You know enament, honestly, I think it is the typical response, mine included, to launch a nuclear response in regards to something you don't agree with. But it does not make it right.

So true I think I may have done exactly that.

A friend of mine met this girl who happened to have a portrait of her deceased grandfather tattooed on her back apparently its a fair size,he confided in me that it made it difficult for him in times of intimacy,especial since he knew her grandfather.
He was asking me how he could approach her to put a shirt on during times of intimacy.I guess he feels like he is being watched. I wonder what she would think about that if she knew it bothered him a lot?

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

enament
I am wondering might part of the attraction be therapeutic liking the pain kind of like the feeling when you get acupuncture or a massage?

No, not really.

Honestly, I only had one tattoo when I was married to my ex from the UK. It was a celtic knot with her name above it on my inner forearm.

When she left me, the way she left me, returning to England with our eight month old daughter, kidnapping her, breaking local, state, federal, and international law, disregarding any rights or claims I had as a father, it was as if I simply didn't exist.

I had never felt so horribly cheated, wronged, stolen from, life destroyed in my entire life. To this day, well, that one tips the scales.

To say I was angry was to put it politely. I was so amazingly angry I am amazed I didn't find ways to become violent. I got tribal tattoos that are very black, very thick, and basically the first thing you see on my left arm. The first one was a design I found, actually a klingon design from Star Trek, but it looked tribal. We (the artist and I) altered it to customize it. It worked excellently. It was a way to physically manifest my pain and anger. I drew complimentary designs to bring it around my arm. We tattooed that as well. For me, there were times where I would actually visualize these as spines on a porcupine. Keeping people at bay. Again, this was a means of extending my anguish into reality without doing any actual damage to anyone or anything. Because believe me, I destroyed some things. I remember a day of essentially finding every framed photo of my ex and her family, standing at one end of a dark hallway, and flinging them at the end. Destroying each photo and the glass.

It's part of me. If's part of what happened to me in my life. I get the joy of living with it. I chose designs and artwork that really were pleasing to me aesthetically. Did I realize it at the time how it was letting me live through some of the anguish I was experiencing, no. Looking back it's clear though.

Suffice it to say, that celtic knot with my ex's name above it...well, my tattoo gal and I did a number on that
She loved the idea as we came up with it together. We wreathed the celtic knot, which is really a heart if you look at it, in a snake. The snakes thickest part of its body covers my ex's name. It's fitting.

Perhaps I could photograph them at some point, post them. If anyone was interested. Nothing horribly special, just to me

- SN

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

enament
A friend of mine met this girl who happened to have a portrait of her deceased grandfather tattooed on her back apparently its a fair size,he confided in me that it made it difficult for him in times of intimacy,especial since he knew her grandfather.
He was asking me how he could approach her to put a shirt on during times of intimacy.I guess he feels like he is being watched. I wonder what she would think about that if she knew it bothered him a lot?

First of all, the girl has the tattoo. It's obvious that her grandfather meant the world to her. There really is *nothing* that can be done about it now.

Sure he could ask her to wear a shirt, but does that do anything? No, not really. If he cares about this girl at all, and wants to remain intimate with her, I'd suggest that he talk to her. Explain to her that it is a little strange to him, not that she would do it in the first place, but that he knew the man in life. And that it is strange particularly when they are intimate. He should do everything he can to listen to as much of her story as possible. To understand exactly how it feels to her. They need to really communicate about this. Again, I don't think there is any nice or clean way to ask her to simply wear a shirt. Where it seems like an easy answer, it will sit rather strange to her. Even if she does understand. He needs to realize that just as strange as the situation is to him, it's bound to be equally strange to her once he asks her to wear a shirt. I think considering that he's the one who has to eventually be ok with the fact that it was there to begin with, he should just work through it as best he can, but I don't see asking her to cover it up as being part of this path.

- SN

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I registered on this website just to tell op and most of the commentors that you guys are enormous condescending asshole.

You don't like tatoos ? Well, fine, it's not something I like so much either, but OMG do you realize how much you are judging women just because they have a tatoo ?

What are you thinking exactly ? That as women it is their purpose to look as every woman should : with long hair, a nice dress, a-bit-of-make-up-but-not-too-much-because-otherwise-it's-slutty and stuff ?

One of the worst answers I saw :

My Mother didn't have tattoos either, I totally understand not finding a woman with tattoos motherly. Think of all those poor children being forced to view their trashy mothers as "motherly."

Despicable.

Who the # do you think you are to judge the "motherly" attribute of a woman by her tatoos ? And what the hell is even that word "motherly", seriously ?

Not liking tats as a personal preference is fine. But all your thread is about judging women (and only them) in a so condescending and mysoginous way...

I'm so sad for you guys.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

enament
When people want to be original why does it always wind up being emulating a trend that everyone else is doing?.

Tattoos are not a trend ! Tattoos have been around for thousands of years, going all the way back to ancient Egypt, China. Personally I think as tattoos are becoming more and more common, and less and less discrimination against them becomes the normality, more people feel free to express themselves as they choose.

enamentAbout half of men out there dislike tattoos on women..

I do not believe this to be true at all.

enamentIf someone has a statement to make what ever happened to just getting a shirt to express yourself. I have been noticing more and more women getting sleeves,neck tattoos,full back and masculine looking tattoos. What ever happened to just getting a small rose on your ankle or a small heart somewhere or something like that ? .

It's not about making a statement the true beauty of tattoos, is self-expression. It's body work and, art it's taking your inner creativity, and displaying it externally. Yes I agree there are those out there who get tattoos to be *tough* ect, however I find the majority of people, like to decorate themselves, with something that is deep and meaningful to themselves.

enamentAs it turns out a large portion of men who get tattoos regret it.

Once again I don't believe this to be true. And now days you are not stuck with them for life, I know many people who have had laser tattoo removal for all sorts of reasons. It's cheap and effective these days.

You may consider my opinion to be biased as I have many tattoos

Namaste
~sacri~

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join