It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald’s Closes All Their Restaurants in Bolivia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Bolivia became the first McDonald’s-free Latin American nation, after struggling for more than a decade to keep their numbers out of ‘the red.’ And that fact is still making news.

McDonald’s served its last hamburgers in Bolivia on a Saturday at midnight, after announcing a global restructuring plan in which it would close its doors in seven other countries with poor profit margins.

McDonald’s Closes All Their Restaurants in Bolivia

Bravo Bolivia! don't give into the fast food craze!

instead they promote locally grown food

they don't necessarily go against the idea of fast food because they had there own before western food was introduced, but they like the idea of "why import it while you can make it better yourself"

I guess the Golden Arches couldn't alter there menus enough to satisfy everyone, i bet the clowns frowning on this one.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by hknudzkknexnt

At first all i saw was "McDonald’s Closes All Their Restaurants"

Anyway, congratulations for bolivians

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I make all of my food from fresh ingredients including 3 different sorts of burgers. Not only are they cheaper to make but the difference in flavour, freshness and texture is incredible. I can make a dozen burgers in 10 minutes which i can cook as i choose and are far healthier in general. I'd advise anyone to buy a decent cook book or even find recipes online. It's well worth it.

I'll also add that i make my own skinless sausages. Again, they're quick to make, cheaper, healthier, and the flavour is incredible.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Good for them, they will keep the GMO out of their diet.

Maybe they all watched "super size me" and decided that is not for them.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
It always makes me laugh when people call these places restaurants.

Well done Bolivia.
edit on k061809bamSun, 29 Sep 2013 06:18:49 -0500 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Bolivia is notoriously anti=America these days.
And the name 'McDonalds' is forever connected to America.
Even though it's Bolivians who would own and operate the places.

Side note -
When we were in Bolivia 17 years ago, we didn't see any McDonalds. None.
We were in Santa Cruz and La Paz.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
This is neither breaking, nor alternative news that I personally see. It causes me to wonder why we're seeing it here and now, aside from just another story to make America look bad and/or feel good about Americans leaving commercial interests in a generally poor and developing nation.

The OP link, itself, is from December 2011. Here are a couple others...

No More “Fast Food” in Bolivia: McDonald’s Has Closed Down All Its Restaurants (December, 2011)

Another from 2012 here, but this one? Well... It reports in the headline when this actually seems to have happened. Old news? Well.. a decade old at least.

MCDONALD’S LEFT BOLIVIA IN 2002; FAST FOOD STILL ABUNDANT ON CITY STREETS (Sorry for the caps... It's how it was on the source)

Is there something more recent for developments in Bolivia since 2002 or..at least the most recent stories I could find reporting the old one, from 2012? Just wondering.. given the forum, especially.

edit on 29-9-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

hknudzkknexnt
instead they promote locally grown food

Bolivia is run like the mafia. The only way to get day to day things done is to bribe.
Everyone sticks to family business' and won't spend their money outside the family
if they can at all help it.

THis 'promote locally grown food' thing isn't like what you'd see in the USA.
It's not for health reasons.
I'd bet you a box of donuts that whoever is running things has family in farming.
They want their family members to get the business and so that's why the
McDonalds is pushed out.

I promise you ... it's about Bolivians hating anything to do with America
AND it's about promoting family business and payoffs. It's not about anything 'healthy'.

What they are doing is putting BOlivians out of business and putting Bolivians into poverty
by closing the McDonalds. They aren't hurting America at all ... but they think they are.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wrabbit I love you to death, but how are you so alert at this hour of the morning? I haven't even made my first coffee yet. Huge carrot bunch for you for catching this.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   

aboutface
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wrabbit I love you to death, but how are you so alert at this hour of the morning? I haven't even made my first coffee yet. Huge carrot bunch for you for catching this.

Evil never sleeps.

(Just kidding. But still refusing to use those God awful smilies so insert made a joke face here).

So this is in fact old news?

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Scorchio

Yes I also make my own-there simply are not commercially made burger patties in my country that taste any good+although we have a small household budget we use practically only fresh produce.We buy cereals for the kids in packaged form,but locally there are some extremely healthy options in that line,fortunately.That is about it-one can do a lot for one's own health by using fresh produce only+the food always taste restaurant-quality,as the flavours combine+compliment.There is no suibstitute for simple dishes made up of fresh preservative free produce.

When you make your patties,do you also add in some grated cheese+fresh garlic+parsley?Ground coriander pips?seeds are great too,and to stretch the meat I add in one bar of Nutrific/Weet-Bix,a very healthy type of local wheat cereal that comes in bar form-it adds bulk+fibre+does not detract from the taste whatsoever.
And if you make your own sauces from scratch to go with your homemade patties you have a perfectly healthy steakhouse style meal-i sometimes make homestyle fried onion rings with it too.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Honestly? I had no idea, at first, it was a real old story. I was more curious to look up the Bolivian unemployment rate and how well they could adsorb the loss of jobs ..when the second headline popped up first to show they don't have to worry. Whatever impact losing the jobs did or didn't have, came over 10 years ago.

* Unemployment has actually improved steadily there by the numbers, for what it matters. Seems Morales is good at what he's doing in at least some major ways. He came in at the 2006 point for reference to the chart at the link.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Raxoxane
reply to post by Scorchio

Yes I also make my own-there simply are not commercially made burger patties in my country that taste any good+although we have a small household budget we use practically only fresh produce.We buy cereals for the kids in packaged form,but locally there are some extremely healthy options in that line,fortunately.That is about it-one can do a lot for one's own health by using fresh produce only+the food always taste restaurant-quality,as the flavours combine+compliment.There is no suibstitute for simple dishes made up of fresh preservative free produce.

When you make your patties,do you also add in some grated cheese+fresh garlic+parsley?Ground coriander pips?seeds are great too,and to stretch the meat I add in one bar of Nutrific/Weet-Bix,a very healthy type of local wheat cereal that comes in bar form-it adds bulk+fibre+does not detract from the taste whatsoever.
And if you make your own sauces from scratch to go with your homemade patties you have a perfectly healthy steakhouse style meal-i sometimes make homestyle fried onion rings with it too.

Seriously, people just don't know what they're missing out on by eating fast food junk.

My ingredients vary depending on the type of burger i'm making. For example, i'll use cumin and mint in lamb burgers, which really brings out the flavour of the lamb where as i'll only use garlic and parsley in a beef burger and rely on the barbecue sauce (homemade) to add more flavour. I also make a delicious spicey burger which uses thai curry paste amongst other things. McDonalds and BK are flavourless by comparison, because it's all processed and fast frozen.

new topics

top topics

join