It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston Police Railroad 25% Pay Raise in Bad Faith Money Grab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Well, just when you thought the police had insulted the people of Boston quite enough, they step on our proverbial necks once again. This time, skipping good faith negotiations, the police union went straight into arbitration and was awarded a 25% raise by an arbitrator.

Basically, it is a big fat [CENSORED] to the citizens and businesses. They don't even think they have to return anyone's phone calls. So, it seems that they are saying, stick this up your you know what Boston, we can do whatever we want and you can't stop us.

(sorry mods, I was a little miffed at this so, thanks for un-shouting my post)

Boston police patrolmen deserve 25.4 percent raise over six years, arbitrator rules

An arbitrator ruled Friday evening that Boston police patrolmen deserve a 25.4 percent raise over six years, an amount more than double the increase of other city unions, according to Mayor Thomas M. Menino's administration.

The award calls for 13.5 percent in raises and includes additional money for longevity benefits, bonuses for officers with college degrees, and other perks that bring that total increase to more than 25 percent. The package will cost taxpayers $80 million over six years. In an interview, Menino warned that the contract would set an unsustainable precedent and doom future contract talks.

“The award is too expensive,” Menino said. “It continues a pattern of awards that are too expensive. Public safety unions have no reason to negotiate us with us in good faith and settle contracts voluntarily because arbitrators have proven that they will always give them more.”

The Boston Police Patrolmen’s Association did not return phone messages left with its attorney, Susan F. Horwitz, or the union’s president, Thomas J. Nee.

When both sides agreed to arbitration, they remained far apart, according to the Menino administration. The city’s offer at the start of arbitration was 15.2 percent over six years. The union wanted 21.5 percent over three years, according to the city.

Funding for the $80 million award must still be approved by the City Council. If the council rejects the award, both parties would return to the bargaining table.

“The only solution is for the City Council to vote this down and break this cycle,” Menino said. “Other cities and towns have said no and returned these awards back to the table. It’s the only way to protect the city from these awards and
this irresponsible pattern.”
edit on 28-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
A great many of these state workers are paid extremely well, and have amazing benefit plans.

State worker pay should be tied to wage growth in the state. If wages and salaries are flat, or dropping, then state workers pay should be flat or dropping as well. Considering that state workers have very secure jobs, aren't subject to corporate take over, their pay rates should probably lag the general population.

CA is the biggest crook I have ever dealt with.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Well, if it's any consolation, the state has been withholding money from the pay of law enforcement officer's for years for their pension deal and not depositing it into the pension fund; essentially, the state's been stealing from them for a LONG time, so when they retire, they won't get what they were promised anyway.

It'll be a just reward for supporting the thieves on Beacon Hill.

There's little coincidence that Thomas "Mumbles" Menino is retiring this year after putting off negotiations for several years (for the Fire Department as well as the Police, the EMT's only recently got their money from the city), and Commissioner Ed Davis of "Marathon Bombing" fame is moving on as well (possibly to become head of the DHS).

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

poet1b

A great many of these state workers are paid extremely well, and have amazing benefit plans.

State worker pay should be tied to wage growth in the state. If wages and salaries are flat, or dropping, then state workers pay should be flat or dropping as well. Considering that state workers have very secure jobs, aren't subject to corporate take over, their pay rates should probably lag the general population.

CA is the biggest crook I have ever dealt with.

Like California, Massachusetts will NEVER do that. It is a liberal stronghold in which the Democrats are not only in bed with the unions, they're paying for dinner beforehand with the company credit card.

I long for the day that the card gets declined. (I'm a lifelong Massachusetts resident, so trust me, that day is coming).

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
As a 30+ year resident of MA, unions there have way too much power. The MA state government is arguably the most corrupt state in the country and looks for every conceivable way to screw the citizens over.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Wow, that's some kind of raise. I'd wager Boston PD officers average $75 -80 grand a year already. Prices are way high up there though. I don't see how anyone can afford to live up there. Last time we traveled there the cheapest motel room you could find was $120 and that was back in 2000. I shudder to think what prices are today.
That's Northeastern Public union politics for you. City punts to arbitrator knowing full well they will get what they want but then they don't have to take the heat for making the decision. NICE< REAL NICE. Taxpayer rape anyone?

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I am from essex county, it's the highest cost of living in the entire country (at the time I moved).

Forbes magazine, which has ranked Essex County as the most overpriced place to live in the country

www.eagletribune.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
That`s only 4.2% a year for 6 years, that`s probably barely enough to keep up with inflation and in 5 years it probably won`t even be enough to keep up with inflation.
The tax payers will be fine they`ll probably save a lot more than what they pay in increase taxes for the police raises once obamacare gets fully implemented.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Asktheanimals
Wow, that's some kind of raise. I'd wager Boston PD officers average $75 -80 grand a year already. Prices are way high up there though. I don't see how anyone can afford to live up there. Last time we traveled there the cheapest motel room you could find was $120 and that was back in 2000. I shudder to think what prices are today.
That's Northeastern Public union politics for you. City punts to arbitrator knowing full well they will get what they want but then they don't have to take the heat for making the decision. NICE< REAL NICE. Taxpayer rape anyone?

Here is a quote from another thread which talks about how much money was saved by installing a cardboard police officer in an MBTA station.

Cardboard Officer Cuts Crime at Mass. Subway Stop

Deputy Chief Robert Lenehan says the fake cop, along with video cameras and a new lock, has cut bike thefts by 67 percent.

It’s also a money saver. Lenehan estimates it would cost $200,000 a year to have an officer watch over the cage full-time.

That's $200,000 folks, do the math.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I dont think the problem is big pay for cops. It's the type of cops these days. A cop should absolutely be one of the highest paid public workers. They should have the best of health care and pension plans. However the type of cop should be the absolute best specimens of society. The smartest and most compassionate people in the community. They should be those who are honored to help strangers and even more proud if they nail a bad cop in the act. They should have a big enough force to make sure they dont get stressed on the job and that there is good enough resources for every task at hand. They should have the biggest smiles and biggest hearts of public workers.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

PsykoOps
I dont think the problem is big pay for cops. It's the type of cops these days. A cop should absolutely be one of the highest paid public workers. They should have the best of health care and pension plans. However the type of cop should be the absolute best specimens of society. The smartest and most compassionate people in the community. They should be those who are honored to help strangers and even more proud if they nail a bad cop in the act. They should have a big enough force to make sure they dont get stressed on the job and that there is good enough resources for every task at hand. They should have the biggest smiles and biggest hearts of public workers.

While that would be nice, it simply isn't the case.

There is a great quote that may ring a bell among most of us that I consider to be a truism.

"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men" - Lord Acton

new topics

top topics

join