It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil plans to go offline from US-centric internet-Need help understanding this...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I have friends and family that live in Brazil and are struggling with understanding how this will affect their ability to communicate with friends and relatives in America...can anyone help me explain it to them...I do not understand how the internet process works, but it seems like this is going to make it difficult for us to communicate through normal channels that we use right now...Facebook, Skype, etc. I find it very disconcerting. Are we getting worried over nothing?

galacticconnection.com...

Brazil plans to divorce itself from the US-centric internet over Washington’s widespread online spying, a move that many experts fear will be a potentially dangerous first step toward politically fracturing a global network built with minimal interference by governments. President Dilma Rousseff has ordered a series of measures aimed at greater Brazilian online independence and security following revelations that the US National Security Agency intercepted her communications, hacked into the state-owned Petrobras oil company’s network and spied on Brazilians who entrusted their personal data to US tech companies such as Facebook and Google. “The global backlash is only beginning and will get far more severe in coming months,” said Sascha Meinrath, director of the Open Technology Institute at the Washington-based New America Foundation think-tank. “This notion of national privacy sovereignty is going to be an increasingly salient issue around the globe.”

Obviously they have their reasons for this, what are the ramifications of this worldwide if all countries do the same thing?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Soul

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

All I know about this is that they are going to be storing all of their citizen and corporate and political data within the country instead of on random servers throughout the world. The N.S.A. PRISM program gets its information by splicing directly into large communication hubs, such as those in New York.

What the N.S.A. does, is it has a command center hidden inside of a large New York building (for example) and then splices into a set of cables and lets the information from the internet flow through their servers before going back out into the net.

Therefore, if Brazil makes an effort to store all of its information within Brazil, in order to get real-time access to that information, the N.S.A. would have to have a splicing center inside of Brazil -

If someone in Brazil, for example, checked their e-mail, it would go straight from their Brazil home to a Brazil server without going through central hubs in the U.S. to be intercepted - at the moment, I think the servers are somewhat randomized.

I am surprised anyone on A.T.S. picked this up, I hadn't seen anything on it. I hope that helps.
edit on 28-9-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I guess they don't know about the NSA's undersea cable wiretapping submarine

The NSA reportedly has been tapping into undersea telecom cables for decades.

"Yeah, Brazil wants to do this ONLY to protect its citizens. What a crock of #. They only want to limit and control all information within their own borders, so they can strengthen their propaganda machine just like the USA is doing. They don't give a # about their citizens anymore than the NSA gives a # about US citizens." www.reddit.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Murgatroid
I guess they don't know about the NSA's undersea cable wiretapping submarine

The NSA reportedly has been tapping into undersea telecom cables for decades.

"Yeah, Brazil wants to do this ONLY to protect its citizens. What a crock of #. They only want to limit and control all information within their own borders, so they can strengthen their propaganda machine just like the USA is doing. They don't give a # about their citizens anymore than the NSA gives a # about US citizens." www.reddit.com...

Hmmm, would that be something like the US wanting to keep their propaganda machine going?

new topics

top topics

join