Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Alternative media to addicting to give up?

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
So I was listening to Coast last night. And the guest were alternative media people. And I got struck with a question that I asked myself. Could I ever go back to mainstream media news? Or what would or could the mainstream news do to bring me back. I was imediately thining there is no way if they are not telling out right lies then there is disinformation. And not to mention the cable news networks agenda's.

So I really got stuck saying I dont know if there is anything mainstream news could do to win me back. I truly dont know. I think a good portion of ATS gets there news from Alternative media. So I am wanting to know. Is there anything mainstream news/media could do to win you back and get your trust? Or maybe you say mainstream media is very good right now and very trustful. I don't know I am alternative media all the way.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by American-philosopher

There are many addictions in the world. Being an addict to Truth is not an addiction. It's a quality so many lack.

It's the greatest curse a man can have. Only such men became the geniuses in the History of the World.

edit on 28-9-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

S@F all the way. I would go NUTZ if I had to rely on msnews. I would have to figure everything is exactly the opposite of what they say. I just couldn't, Id have to find some local CTers with HAM radio to get the bulk of the real info.

Alternative information is far superior even though you still have to wade through it fro the truth.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Well, I don't generally pay all that much attention to information distillers of any kind, mainstream or otherwise except to catch up on the spin for an hour or so. The rest of the time I watch C-SPAN 1/2/3/Book TV/Afterwords and read non-fiction.

That said, I suppose I will watch some old fashioned boob tube for mindless entertainment too so, I do get some MSM exposure. I only listen to C2C from here actually.
edit on 28-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Honestly, I still watch some MSM sources just to get some info that ATS does not cover. Sure, most of it is biased and the truth is skewed, but with a good head on your shoulders you can sort out the BS.

Some alternative media is just as bad, or worse, than the MSM. A lot of half-truths, lies and hoaxes run rampant through alternative media.

SS

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Is there anything mainstream news/media could do to win you back and get your trust?

Yes but only if this policy was implemented without exception:

Every single news castor while on the air and during all broadcasts were wired up to an infallible lie detector and when it reads deceptive they instantly would receive and intense but non-fatal shock (except peirs his would be fatal first time). Then and only then would I tune in, honestly more for the comedy than the news but I would tune in.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I utilize both. Mainstream represents how the majority will think, because, well - people like to be told what to think. They (the majority) can go about their business in their own personal bubble universe and keep grinding the days away. I can't say there is anything wrong with that if that is what people want and accept.

But no, I can't go back. Sometimes I'd like to stick my head back into the sand. But we need people who question and challenge the establishment. It's a check and balance. I choose ATS as my soundboard and source for alternative news and ideas, and I'm grateful that it's available.

I'll miss it - should our governments ever decide to legislate and censor thought, and do away with forums link these.

I'd hate to resort to spewingout my ideas on msm comment boxes following an article, where they just delete your thought if it is counter-intuitive to the stations agendas.

I'm addicted to having a voice and opinion, and being allowed to spew it out to others - to agree or disagree. It's much easier to do it on a forum board. In life, it makes most distinctly uncomfortable, to entertain ideas of the likes we see here at ATS. I'd hate to not have it. My freedom of speech. My freedom to process this world and the data I receive - in my own unique way.

CdT

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I don't even really pay much attention to it anymore now that I realized it's just an alternative flavor of falsehoods mostly.

Check out the reality of how deep this is:

MEDIA = MEDEA (Of Jason and the Argonauts)
Medes/Media = Persia
Persepolis = City of Perseus the Persian

Persia = Perseus = PERSEphony = The Phoney Perseus
Phonetics from Phoenicia representing the Phoenix.

Medea
The enchantress has us in a trance? We have been bewitched by the MEDIA!

Now enter the Abyss and face the Great Demon:
MEDUSA
YOU!

Can only "see it" in the Mirror???
Only way to defeat it is with a Mirror???

If you "See her" outside a Mirror, that means you are Stone, Dust, DEAD.
Out of body death experience 101.
Mythology and understanding the world around you go hand in hand folks.

Alternative MEDIA?
I don't want any MEDEA fooling me into Idiocracy, do you?
edit on 28-9-2013 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Yes, they can all quit their jobs as journalists and take classes in morals and ethics and vow to never report another story so long as they live ever again.

Or the easy route, they can all jump off of bridges.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Ops, meant to edit the one above.
Mistake post.

Will just add some musing to make the mistake post worth something:::

The Median people are mentioned by that name in many ancient texts. According to the Histories of Herodotus;[19]
The Medes were called anciently by all people Aryans; but when Medea, the Colchian, came to them from Athens, they changed their name. Such is the account which they themselves give.

Aryans? IRAN!

Arion sired by Poseidon
And Ariel the Little Mermaid daughter of the Sea God?

Arianism the Christian movement

Aries the Ram/Lamb of God....Rama and Brahma. Abraham.
Aries root etymology means "Spring" as in Jumping or Leaping.
Mario Bros the Jumping Gemini.
Samus Aran the Rolling Stone.

Mari = Mary = Maritime = Marine = Mars/Ares = the "AquaMarine" of "AquArius"

I could do this for hours like Mr Ed the talking horse (Arion of course).
Arion could be thought of as Orion the Lion of Sion.

I don't use Alternative MEDEA for a Source to find the Truth.
I seek the Arts of the Heart from the Hearth of the Earth.
That inner Flame, the Kore.

Now you have the 'Phone to Perse'. It's ringing very loudly!

PERSON + U *You* = Perseus = PURSUIT/PURSUES = I RAN

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I actually did it for awhile, stopped logging in here, stop reading all other alternative news. I relied on radio and evening news to keep me up to speed.
Well, I'm back here now. I might think sheep are cute but I sure as heck won't be one.
You can walk away from actively reading all the alternative news you want to , but the hooks are still in you. It changes you for good and there is no going back. I have been happily assimilated into the world of alternative thinking.
I wouldn't recommend trying to cold turkey from conspiracies, it doesn't work. And that right there, is some big shoes the mainstream will never fill.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The first thing to remember about any type of media, news, movies, games, or anything that is broadcast or sent over the www. It's all about the money!!

It's a business to provide a platform for advertisers to hang their marketing on; soap, depends, cars, or goo to hold your false teeth in.

I'm working as a producer in TV/film and about the only public service venue left is PBS and they are sliding into the commercial area as well.

You can bitch and moan all you want, but nothing is gonna change because it's Capitalism at it's finest...or worst; depending on your perspective.

TV...... to quote Newton Minow is a "vast wasteland" and alternative media isn't much better because everyone has an agenda.

If you are disgusted with the current state of news or the Media; start your own network.

Start here....
www.celtx.com...

because whining on ATS will get you nowhere....if Ted Turner with his limited cognitive ability can do it, anyone can....
edit on 28-9-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I'm not actually sure how alternative my media consumption is. Aside from the occasional blogbinge when I want to look into occultist stuff, ATS is my only real 'alternative' outlet, this said? My only mainstream news comes from outside the US. Al-Jazeera gives me 90% of what I need, and their biases are easy to see and thus ignore (about a 4th of their articles relate to Israel, and are negative). The only time I look in on US mainstream things are when it's linked to me or when I want more in-depth coverage of US centric non-political issues. I do wish I could get more alternative media, but most of it seems to have too much of a right wing slant for me to properly filter, or turns out to be full of misinfo and bull# fake science. It's kinda frustrating.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by swanne

Being an addict to Truth is not an addiction.

Truth is not preferentially located in any mass medium.

Alternative media are, if anything, less trustworthy than the mainstream, because they are subject to less criticism and control.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I could do this for hours

And it wouldn't be any truer, or make any more sense.

Truth is not hard to find. It just requires the abandonment of attachment to any ideology or philosophy.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

If you are Addicted to being Lied to on an everyday Basis , then Yes ......

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Your right that alot of Alternative media are filled with hoaxes but I thyink those are easier to spot and sift through. When you see a story that is almost cartoonish in nature to believe or something like that. as opposed to with the mainstream media when they say this is from an acredited journalist. when they put that title on some one. It would be hard not to take what that person says as the honest truth right. I mean thats one of the tools that the mainstream media has. Is listen to us because we have this title or this offciality

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

CirqueDeTruth
I utilize both. Mainstream represents how the majority will think, because, well - people like to be told what to think. They (the majority) can go about their business in their own personal bubble universe and keep grinding the days away. I can't say there is anything wrong with that if that is what people want and accept.

I find a little problem with that. I am kind of reminded of a qoute by Thomas Jefferson. but I can't place the excat words of it but it is something of the effect. it is our all duties to to get the knowledge to to the people who are ignorant. That we have to at least try to inform people.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

it's good that you snapped out of the hypnosis. I remember I went threw that only in 2011. Prior to that I had a very very rough idea that not everything was as it seemed. But then I started listening to Alex Jones and back then he really went into a lot more details about specifics than he seems to do now. he was more like William Cooper back then. So I learned a lot. And that year was really weird for me, sounds the same as what you're going though. Where you start to realize the mass propaganda that surrounds us and tried to keep us in mass hypnosis. No snap out of it for good! Anything on the news is total and complete bs.

new topics

top topics

join