It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i just figured out how to stop most online piracy and still allow people to download some older cont

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
As mentioned previously, Rockstar made 1 Billion+ dollars with the release of Grand Theft Auto V.

While I understand the argument that piracy hurts small time game dev's and musicians, in a sense it really doesn't, because if there wasn't a mechanism for people to pirate chances are there would be hardly any people listening your music or buying your game. You have to also take into account that those mechanisms used for piracy are also used by people to promote and distribute their product for free hoping to make up the cost somewhere else down the line.

A lot of people need to understand that game companies, hugely successful musicians, and actors are the exception to the rule, the same with Billionaires of industry they are the exceptions to the rule too.

The rule is that you bust your behind to create something you believe in and hope enough people like it to buy it. Then if it starts to take hold hope you have what it takes to hire the right people to really get you business to take off so you can become one of the exceptions.

Yes, piracy does hurt sales, but not anymore than shoplifting the same product from a store hurts sales, Also any good business should account for the loss of product in their overhead because you can't control things like theft, only prepare to know that it going to happen and hope the loss is what you budgeted for.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by thenaturalist

Why you care? i am sick and tired of the 1% Stealing MY MONEY.

The only way we can get back at them is by taking what is ours.

by the way i just pirated your dumb idea on to my iphone to show to my friends to have a laugh at YOU.
edit on 28-9-2013 by beckybecky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

beckybecky

The 1% isn't the movie/music/game industry snowflake.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com...

lots of studies done show that it ain't that bad..
Remember, you can't compete with FREE!. but if you made it $1 or $5 for a album. im sure more people would pay.. like if the cinema was $5 or less, im sure they would make the same profit they already do. But they think lets make it 3 times the amount per ticket so now instead of say 100k they made 300k. and you think they are loosing money?

The industry is a business and business is good... Pirates or not.

Hell even in the industry they pirate movies lol..
just look up..

hollywood studios caught pirating movies on bittorrent

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Steam and Spotify should have been here 15 years ago but the industry did not want it. It is all about greed. Some markets are supposed to pay very much for multimedia in their currency/time at work while other countries it is cheaper so it is not such a big deal to their economy.

Make it based on income and remove the 1% parasitism on the top that should work for a living not making fantasy money doing administrative thing that any clerk can do. The current system is insane. A country is having a better economy when their people is over consuming medicine and in need of distractions to cope with being in this insanity.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

eNumbra

beckybecky

Answer The Walt Disney Company. The owners are not 1%?

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
You really don't want to piss off the pirates. They are everywhere and a vengeful sort.
edit on 28-9-2013 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
when i had a sweet internet connection i'd download everything and to be sincerely honest i can't remember anything i watched, heard, played or otherwise that i thought for a second the i'd actually be willing to pay for it.

now as for music.. my music purchasing has at the very least doubled due to the fact that i was able to download to see if it was worth spending my hard earned money one.

pirating, i don't download much anymore because lets face it.. there's not anything worth downloading. i can't even remember the last movie i actually liked let alone enough to pay to see.

now.. i kinda circumvented "pirating" by buying big named companies merchandise used from amazon or where ever.. that way even though someone gave them their money i can say that i surely didn't.

the only people who suffer from all this BS that concerns me are the independent record labels, the "underground" labels.. i've seen quite a few fade away into obscurity and it's those bands and labels i miss so i make a specific choice to buy directly from the bands and labels still around.

everyone advocating against piracy needs to get off their high horse and realize they don't care about anything other than their bottom line and the world needs to purge itself from what we know as consumerism and something new needs to take it's place.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

LittleByLittle

eNumbra

beckybecky

Answer The Walt Disney Company. The owners are not 1%?

Go look up the list of the richest people in the world; I'll wait while you notice how far down the list someone related to Disney sits.

But at the very least, people at Disney and other entertainment media still had to work to make their money(sans those who inherited in of course, or bought in) the real 1% you're speaking of when you talk about how they "steal" your money(since Disney doesn't do that) are banking/investment/trading wealth.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Call me what you want gluton. I would rather be a vulcan and live as one. I believe that trade and respect and feelings are the only suitable form or money.

As a none gamer its schlit like games that are bankrupting our country never happy. # technology # the corporate giants brainwashing out youth. No disrespect about your morals and values though. It is not like they matter now or ever will.

Live as an atheist but talk like your a christian jack. Good luck with navigating the spiders web. I wish you the best in your endevors andyour friends. I am just not going to invest in the continuing manipulation of the human collective consciousness. I hope it crumbles to the ground by the hand of god instead of the hand of man. Not the people but the perpetual dreams and all the contentment that goes with.

Good luck zombie

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Since 'piracy' is an empty term to describe the legal implications of unauthorized distribution. I suggest you educate yourself regarding the law and just what copyrights protect and just what 'distribution' is.

In short, users who upload and 'distribute' (laymen) copyrighted works for personal/private use and whom make no profit for such actions have not 'distributed' (legalese) copyrighted works.

However, if you package it for sale and present yourself as an authorized distributor and or retailer and commercially profit from the works of copyrighted works to which you have no claim, IS illegal.

Piracy is not illegal...

But confusing the private realm with the commercial realm and thus applying commercial law to non commercial actions ought to be...

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
If it isn't available for free, I am fine with going with out. I wouldn't have spent money on it to begin with.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I don't believe piracy has ever been a real issue. Its a control one. And prohibits indy and self made artists, they want darth vader ritual ones.

I buy what i like and have watched, sooner or later, to support the artists, and would never ever have done so if i wasn't exposed to it, and I'm not exposed to alot of things for not wealthy.

I consider this world to be hell and these kinds of laws unlawful, unequal and hellish. And would never cooperate with anyones schemes to disempower equality.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

eso322
reply to post by eNumbra

Call me what you want gluton. I would rather be a vulcan and live as one. I believe that trade and respect and feelings are the only suitable form or money.

As a none gamer its schlit like games that are bankrupting our country never happy. # technology # the corporate giants brainwashing out youth. No disrespect about your morals and values though. It is not like they matter now or ever will.

Live as an atheist but talk like your a christian jack. Good luck with navigating the spiders web. I wish you the best in your endevors andyour friends. I am just not going to invest in the continuing manipulation of the human collective consciousness. I hope it crumbles to the ground by the hand of god instead of the hand of man. Not the people but the perpetual dreams and all the contentment that goes with.

Good luck zombie

Wow. This makes me sad.
edit on 9/28/2013 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I just download some American series like the Dome etc on to a pen drive , watch then delete it. Same as movies. Used to keep a lot of films when it was the old dial up days but don't bother at all now. Biggest pen drive I have is a 64 gb one and I fitted a 1tb hard drive plus extra memory that the max my laptop can take. My trusty desktop PC broke down a few weeks ago so I removed the memory plus hard drive and binned it as it would cost too much to fix. It did me proud but it was a dinosaur compared to today's computers.
Don't think anyone will stop people downloading these days unless they start to sell them in bulk in which case I don't agree with that because you don't know what the quality is like etc.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

phantomjack
reply to post by gr1ill3d

Great post, but NOT a reason to pirate. Just because there are those who are making money doing what they are doing, doesn't make it a mandate to steal from anyone.

Don't get me wrong, I dont have an issue with pirates either. But to say "They are rich, therefore, steal from them" is just wrong.

!00% agree, I didn't mean to make it seem like "Just because they have loads of cash it's ok to steal from them"

My points were merely to show that stealing will not put these guys in the poor house. The first photo I posted is one of my reasons for justifying piracy. All the extra BS you have to go through just to watch a movie these days is terrible. 20-30$ for a movie on a DVD/bluray... and the movie is crap? Yea.. I will just look it up the torrent and download it.

The movie/music industry really needs to get it together, something like netflix or Hulu plus is a prime example of doing it right. 8$ a month for unlimited streaming to all of your devices? Ya.. I am sold.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
When a movie comes out that is worth 50 bucks for me and the the kids to watch at the theater I'll be glad to pay. I'll be darned if I'm gonna pay for part three of the fifteenth remake of an original film that was made 83 years ago. As far as games go, I'd rather wait a couple of weeks and buy someones used copy for 25 dollars than pay 60 bucks for something I'll be bored with in a week. MUSIC- If I bought the CD and want to copy it to my PC or to a USB drive or a cassette tape or even a 8 track its no ones business, I bought the song I own it. And by all means lets have another three stricke rule, I watch 3 illegal movies and spend 20 years in prison while the child molesting murderer does six months any goes on his merry way.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   

AlliumIslelily
Counting every pirated download as a loss isn't even accurate. People download more than they can afford to purchase. It's not like preventing piracy would turn all those numbers into sales, it would just turn them into people without a copy of the product. If they can't get it for free, they'll just learn to live without it.

Also, if you're worried about losing money on say, a movie, then don't make your budget so high that you need every single person on the planet to purchase 17 copies just so you can break even. That's stupid. Blaming the consumer for your loss? That's more stupid.

Everything is stupid.

This SOOOO MUCH.... I am so sick of the industry saying that every copy that is downloaded is a lost sale. IT IS NOT. I do not understand how they came up with that idea.

You lose money if you have the physical version stolen from your vendor(s). You do not lose money if someone buys a copy, makes a copy and uploads it to the internet. They are not the same.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   

they will have 5 years to sell the crap out their product giving them some much needed boost to profits that they rightfully deserve,

I refuse too see advertising for Miley Cyrus swing on chain for the next 5 years.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   

But for Lazy f#@kers to download latest movies, some still playing in the cinemas or just released on video,
these people are just freeloading leeches, get off your ass and go see the movie how it was supposed to be seen in surround sound hi def digital picture. Or go to the video store and bloody rent the movie out, its not that hard is it.

Sorry, I am not going anywhere to see a movie, it is very inconvenient when compared to a digital download. I have surround and hi-def 3D picture at home. The same for games, books or any other data product. Thats not to say that I support piracy or never go to a cinema, but the future is in digital distribution.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join