It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i just figured out how to stop most online piracy and still allow people to download some older cont

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I think i have come up with a brilliant idea that i think will benefit those who want to stop online piracy and those who still want access to some older content.

The answer is to deter people from downloading content, books, movies or music that was created within the last five years.

Everywhere piracy is hurting businesses and the entertainment industry hard as much as people dont want to admit.
Video stores are closing down everywhere as people simply download the latest 1080p rip of the latest movies releases. retailers are losing sales of dvd's and music, with people swapping portable hardrives with their friends that are full of movies and music to copy.

I have been in a retail store where mothers are with their kids and the kids pick out a game for the DS or Wii and the mother says, theres no need to buy it, i will download it when i get home.

I have heard this more times than you would believe to make it scary. Even parents asking retailers if they sell the multi card adapters for the DS console to put downloaded DS games on it, as if retailers would sell a product that that would promote an illegal act and put them out of business from lesser sales.

This really f#@king pisses me off!!!

I know there are pros and cons of illegal downloads. One pro is that it allows access to old materials like hard to find out of print books, or old movies that are not available anymore. in that case i can have more understanding that someone might resort to downloading it illegally.
thats why i like services like project Gutenberg or the internet archive with their public domain media, and also google books in some ways which is trying to make available books that might otherwise get lost in the sands of time. Even thou sometimes they do charge for some books that are public domain and should be free, but at least they are trying to help spread freedom of information easily available which i must commend them for that effort.

But for Lazy f#@kers to download latest movies, some still playing in the cinemas or just released on video,
these people are just freeloading leeches, get off your ass and go see the movie how it was supposed to be seen in surround sound hi def digital picture. Or go to the video store and bloody rent the movie out, its not that hard is it. How do these people keep a job if they are too lazy to walk five minutes to the local video store. Instead they watch a sh@tty pixelated poor illegal copy and complain about how sh@tty the sfx were on their sh@tty Iphone screens.

So how would this 5 Year illegal download Gov policy work.
Basically the government would daily take a small random group of people, check their file downloads thru the ISP's, check for any content that was made in the last Five years and ignore any other illegal files.
I dont like the idea of jail time or fines. The internet user has three strikes and what happens is the ISP simply slows their internet speed to the lowest possible for the remainder of the month. It then goes back to normal in the next billing cycle.

Here in OZ, video stores are shutting down as people just torrent the latest releases, sometimes months before they are released here in oz, instead of waiting to watch it properly in most likely better quality sound and picture. This also effects dvd sales, who is going to buy a dvd of a movie that they have a video file of.

Once implemented the Gov cant run heavy ads to promote this policy, describing the three strike rule and the slow down of their connection for the remainder of the month as punishment for the illegal content.
maybe this will stop those bitch mums that are setting a bad example to their kids by saying that they can just download everything they want instead of paying for anything.

This new policy will give authors, movie makers and musicians a bit of breathing room, they will have 5 years to sell the crap out their product giving them some much needed boost to profits that they rightfully deserve, until after 5 years their product comes off the Gov radar watch. more people with actually go see a movie at a theatre,rent a movie or buy the dvd when it is released. dvd and music retailers will stop closing down like they are here everywhere in australia, everyday a new closing down sign goes up in the local shopping centers of those stores who sell this stuff, their is just too many people downloading this stuff,it has just become everyones online addiction that everyone is doing.

So people this is it, proberly the best idea we are going to get to solving this issue and keeping both sides happy. still keeping access to older content with the Gov just ignoring those infringements and punishing those who seek content that is easily available in the current time with no need to get it illegally, content published within the last 5 years.

So what do you guys think, would this keep you happy, still being able to access the older hard to find content with less fear but just being forced to actually pay like the old days for the newer stuff.

edit on 28-9-2013 by thenaturalist because: topic headline was wriiten wrong

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by thenaturalist

Basically the government would daily take a small random group of people, check their file downloads thru the ISP's, check for any content that was made in the last Five years and ignore any other illegal files.

Even though the US gov. is already known for doing this, making it a staple of our digital lives is not the answer and certainly should not be surrounded by enforceable laws. This is not a problem the government should be a part of. It's a problem for the industry to solve. DRM is currently the only solution to prevent this type of theft and the more online we get the better it will become. I don't believe this should in any way be criminalized. It's up to the industry to take appropriate action to prevent it.
edit on 9/28/2013 by usertwelve because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Uh huh, well, no.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
God it must be boring inside your mind. It seems you have managed to reduce and oversimplify every facet of this topic to the point of absurdity. Nice job with the cute generalizations, by the way.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

This is disturbing. The fact that there are thousands, maybe millions of people who care so little for their own privacy and freedoms that they WILLINGLY would and do give up their own and everyone else's. The reasons and contexts vary but the results always end up the same and it is the biggest reason we live in the type of world today. I don't even know what to say to someone with this mentality, how do I get them to see the danger that this causes?

I realize that freedom is vastly more difficult that authoritative control but christ wouldn't it be a better life to fail on your own than survive under a thumb?

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Piracy keeps about 100-1000 out of the pockets of greedy celebs. And in yours to better spend it. Personally if I was a pirate I would save about 500 a year. Thats a house payment.

# corporate america.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Slow down Dr. Evil. Wow. Did you know people pay for movies and games? The internet is not some big free-for-all. That's like walking into a bank and asking for money because you see others leaving with cash, not realizing what a bank account is...

Perhaps you should have your internet monitored like you propose, you sound a little dangerous.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

. Or go to the video store and bloody rent the movie out, its not that hard is it.

Whats a video store?

It clear you have no idea how the market really works. Your idea only seems to cater for larger productions ie. the top 5-10% of anything being sold with original content. The other 90-95% make their money over a longer period of time.

edit on 28-9-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

their is just too many people downloading this stuff,it has just become everyones online addiction that everyone is doing.

They tried to prohibit alcohol once. We see how well is working with drugs also.
A lot of things are illegal out there, but that never really stopped people from doing what they want.
More control and more interdictions from government? Maybe a new "war on -----" (insert your favorite illegal activity)? I don't like the idea not one bit.

I think a new concept of digital protection software is better. Steam, for example is a step forward in that direction in the gaming. Let the movies and music companies invest and protect their goods. And let the government stay the f@#$ out of our personal internet errands.

Edit: and just to mention, the stores are closing down because all those products (music, movies, games) are sold online, not because of piracy; they became digital products. Same with books, everything is digital these days.
edit on 28-9-2013 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Maybe if they stop paying actors millions of dollars to say a few words it wouldn't cost as much to make a movie, also, charge less to watch it at a theatre would help a lot....

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
You want to know why people pirate?

Ohh let's not forget, those poor starving artists out there, who are suffering from people stealing their content.

If you have ever seen an episode of cribs, and don't pirate YOU are the problem. The people have so much money it would be a waste of time for them to pick up a 100$ bill they found on the ground.

Some of the rappers look dumbfounded as to what a 1$ bill is.

So yea.. Tell me again why it's not ok to pirate?

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

thenaturalist
... as if retailers would sell a product that that would promote an illegal act and put them out of business from lesser sales.

Hmmm, I don't know. They sell dvd burners, blu ray burners, blank media. Sure there are a handful of people who only use these things for their own creations. But do they really think that most people are out there burning their own HD footage onto discs?

It's bad enough government is spying on people to catch terrorists. No one wants government or worse, corporations, to have the ability to spy on citizens for the purposes of catching an illegal download. That's going too far.

Plus, no one in the movie or music business is going broke because of downloading. No need to feel sorry for them in any way.

edit on 28-9-2013 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I worked at an architect firm.
Only the client payed for the object
Everyone else watched for free.
But the client had some extra goodies being the owner.

The entertainment industry needs to change something.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I remember taping songs off the radio and stuff on the TV, still illegal iirc. Anyone else guilty of that ?

The tech moves on while the law remains antique. Maybe it should keep up.....or give up.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by gr1ill3d

Great post, but NOT a reason to pirate. Just because there are those who are making money doing what they are doing, doesn't make it a mandate to steal from anyone.

Don't get me wrong, I dont have an issue with pirates either. But to say "They are rich, therefore, steal from them" is just wrong.

But more importantly to the OP -- You are a "bloody" idiot if you think that you or anyone else wants MORE goverment in their lives. You must be from the UK, and don't enjoy some of the freedoms that we Americans enjoy.

So a big "bloody" NO to your idea. It wont work, and it is "bloody" stupid.

And people don't pirate movies because they are too lazy to go to the theater either. They pirate movies because THEY CAN and THEY WILL and because ITS FREE. Why would I want to spend $50 taking my family to an over crowded movie theater when I can pop my own popcorn and watch a new release on my own TV in my own living room?

And in case you were wondering, DVD VIDEO RENTAL STORES are closing left and right because there is this new thing called "STREAMING" you may not have heard of. There is no need to physically rent a DVD any longer...the only people renting physical discs these days are morons who can't figure out how to turn a computer on. I bet there are a few of them reading this post right now, in fact...are you one of them, OP?

And you have heard mothers telling kids they will "download it when they get home" so many times it is scary? Wow...you must have a very boring life to be hanging out at Walmart all day long.

And, I am insulted that you called me a "Lazy F&^ker" and "Freeloading Leech". Yeah? Well your mother is so fat, that when she sits around the house....you know the rest.

I think I will watch "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2" on my 60" ... what you say? It's still in Theaters? Why you don't say....

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I couldn't read your post well, I still have to fight with tears from the fact that Rockstar made $800M within 24hrs of releasing GTA V. I am actually packing a care package for them right now so they have something to eat.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

eso322

Piracy keeps about 100-1000 out of the pockets of greedy celebs. And in yours to better spend it. Personally if I was a pirate I would save about 500 a year. Thats a house payment.

As an amateur/independent game developer, who has seen the work of colleagues pirated I'm going to have to stop you right there and call you ignorant.

Piracy doesn't really hurt anybody other than the small time producers of content; the ones who aren't backed up by multi-million/billion dollar companies who are the real one who lose money from piracy, whose pockets are so deep they don't really notice it anyway.

NoRulesAllowed
I couldn't read your post well, I still have to fight with tears from the fact that Rockstar made $800M within 24hrs of releasing GTA V. I am actually packing a care package for them right now so they have something to eat.

Oh you're so right, they don't deserve to make money off their work.
edit on 9/28/2013 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I don't get it how would this be any different?

What's going to stop people illegally downloading films that are less than 5 years old? their doing it now...

Am I missing something here the situation would still be the same someone would download the latest movie via torrent, his mate would say "this movie is less than 5 years old", he would say "yeah... so?" and he would have downloaded a movie just like before without the 5 year thing???
edit on 28-9-2013 by roughycannon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

If the market fails to adapt, it should fail. Digital content is the new medium; subscription based services are the future. Companies are adapting piracy-proof means of distribution, such as Adobe with the new cloud that charges something like $20 a month for access to the creative suite; something that would have ran $800 as a one-time purchase for a college student is now very affordable. The master suite was like $2600, and can now be accessed for a a few bucks a month.

As for films and video games, the best thing you can do is to create a product that people WANT to pay for, not some trashcan hollywood film with a re-hashed plot and predictable characters or some overproduced game that focuses more on DRM than it does gameplay. People will support the products they like by purchasing them and promoting them; this weeds out the gutters*** products from the worthwhile ones.

Where music is concerned, it should be free. Hell, it pretty much already is given how accessible most songs are without purchase. Youtube, spotify, bandcamp, etc, all offer free means of listening to music, and sometimes even downloading it. The same logic applies as with films and video games; if an artist or band is liked, people will support it by purchasing merchandise, promoting it among their social circles, and seeing it live.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Counting every pirated download as a loss isn't even accurate. People download more than they can afford to purchase. It's not like preventing piracy would turn all those numbers into sales, it would just turn them into people without a copy of the product. If they can't get it for free, they'll just learn to live without it.

Also, if you're worried about losing money on say, a movie, then don't make your budget so high that you need every single person on the planet to purchase 17 copies just so you can break even. That's stupid. Blaming the consumer for your loss? That's more stupid.

Everything is stupid.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join