It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Interesting Facts That You Had No Idea You Wanted To Know...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I came across these and felt that they would be fun to share here:

1. The British Army issues antimicrobial underwear that soldiers can wear for months at a time.

2. In the entire state of Ohio in 1895, there were only two cars on the road and the drivers of those two cars crashed into each other.

3. Listening to music for an hour every day can reduce chronic pain by up to 21% and depression by up to 25%

4. In China, you can be a professional flatulence smeller and make about $50,000.00 USD a year.

5. Ben & Jerry’s actually has a graveyard where they bury all of its discontinued flavors.

6. Gary Kremen, the founder of Match . com lost his girlfriend to a man she met on Match . com.

7. Hitler suffered from chronic flatulence and took 28 different drugs to fight it.

8. Reincarnation is forbidden in China without permission from the government.

9. At one time, the US army used color blind people to spot camouflage colors that fooled those with normal color vision

10. You are more likely to remember something you’ve written in blue ink than something you’ve written in black ink.

11. When a person lies, the temperature of their nose rises -- This is known as the “Pinocchio Effect.”

12. You are more likely to be killed by a vending machine than you are to hit the Mega Millions jackpot.

13. In Iowa, it is legal for an employer to fire a female employee for being too sexy.

14. It takes about 15 minutes for a man to decide whether or not he’ll go out on a second date.

15. Dogs, just like humans, are more likely to steal objects in the dark when they think they cannot be seen.

16. The shiny coating you see on various candies is called “shellac” - A substance which is secreted from the anus of the female Lac bug.

17. Artificial Raspberry flavoring is partially milked from the anal glands of beavers.

18. Watching a horror movie can burn up to 200 calories - The same as walking for half an hour.

19. The pilot episode of the show “Courage the Cowardly Dog” was actually nominated for an Oscar.

20. If you take your age and multiple it by 7, then multiply it by 1,443, the product repeats your age 3 times.

21. If you make a fist with your left hand and squeeze your left thumb, this will bypass your gag reflex.

22. Dead people can still get goose bumps.

23. People see you as being about 20% more attractive than you think you are.

24. Early Christians were called "atheists" by Romans as they didn't pay tribute to pagan gods.

25. In 1980, a 2.5 GB disk drive was the size of a refrigerator and cost about $40,000.

Well, that's all for now; feel free to add your own

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

How would a color blind person spot camo easier, wouldn't they see the color it was intended to match in nature the same?

There are people that can see more colors, those seem like they would be effective.

Maybe I'm just not thinking clearly, or the camo wasn't perfect enough and the difference was more noticeable.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I wondered the same thing, but the fact only states they they used to be used for that purpose; perhaps, it was the prevailing thought of the times and the practice was ceased when it was discovered not to work?

Just my thoughts, nothing to back that one up.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

GogoVicMorrow

How would a color blind person spot camo easier, wouldn't they see the color it was intended to match in nature the same?

There are people that can see more colors, those seem like they would be effective.

Maybe I'm just not thinking clearly, or the camo wasn't perfect enough and the difference was more noticeable.

Camo works by breaking up the un-natural lines of human construction, using abstract shapes of certain colors works best.

If a color blind person was not seeing the shades as intended it could expose the un-natural lines that draw the human eye.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Thanks! I learned something today.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Mmmm... raspberry

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

greencmp

Mmmm... raspberry

Yeah no kidding. How did some one ever figure out a [SNIP]tasted like raspberries anyway

edit on 28-9-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I love Courage. It doesnt surprise me that it was nominated for an emmy, it's a brilliant show IMO.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

No piece of square dry paper can be folded more than 7 times in half!

The Nobel Peace Prize medal depicts three naked men with their hands on each other's shoulders!

It takes glass one million years to decompose, which means it never wears out and can be recycled an infinite amount of times!

During your lifetime, you'll eat about 60,000 pounds of food, that's the weight of about 6 elephants!

A sneeze travels out your mouth at over 100 m.p.h.!

In the year 2000, Pope John Paul II was named an "Honorary Harlem Globetrotter."!

In Tennessee, it is against the law to drive a car while sleeping.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Number 21 might be helpful for my girlfriend, but sucks to be extremely attractive female in the state of Iowa... crazy to think that it's ok

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
not liking 16 and 17..lol
cool stuff

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Hitler suffered from chronic flatulence and took 28 different drugs to fight it.

So that's why nazi march like that... Tight a##

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Fisherr
Hitler suffered from chronic flatulence and took 28 different drugs to fight it.

So that's why nazi march like that... Tight a##

That is one of my favorites. I can't help but giggle at the thought of him sitting in the wolf's den raging about incorrect troop movements while breaking wind every third word, and his generals trying oh so hard to act like they didn't hear it.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
This topic was posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

join