It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

lights in the sky being reported accross the east coast might be a meteor

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
It would help with all these posts, if the OP would add the date and time in the thread title.

This threads can sit for decades, so it would be nice to know the date and time of your "right now"

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

Not sure but doesn't every post have the date and time included automatically?

I think it's right below the "stars".

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I am in VA and asked my husband earlier what it was in the sky that I was seeing. His reply was "a jet". I am 36 and have seen at least 3 jets in my lifetime :rolleyes: We went through the regular "no it's not"... "yes it is" and I am still pretty sure it wasn't. Full disclosure here is that I do not have great eyesight and I could not put my hand on the bible that it was not a jet. However, I do feel strongly that it was not else I would not have remarked on it. Anyway, I just found it odd that I ran across this thread after that conversation. I don't think anything has been reported here, but I am with everyone else that is wondering why there has been such an uptick in meteors lately.

One can only hope that it isn't a build up to something massive.
edit on 9/28/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

It was. 2 actually. One at 730 and one at 1150. My brother saw the 1150 driving (eastern ky). Said it lit the sky like daytime and lasted over 2 seconds. It was seen in 8 states and Ontario.

He said he braced and hit the brakes, thought it was a plane coming down or something at first.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

That corresponds with what my cousin and my friend saw. The first one, the one my cousin saw was bright orange and green. The second one, the one my friend saw was bright white.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Yup! We saw it here in Kentucky. AGAIN. That is two in as many days.

What is up with the fireballs??

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

xszawe
hi i found a short video of it
www.youtube.com...

That video was the first one. There was another one last night in good ol' Kentucky.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I just talked to my uncle who lives in Porstmouth, Ohio and he saw a huge bright white ball of light at around 10:20pm last night.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Octave

Portsmouth is where I grew up!! I live in Louisville KY now and we saw it here!

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I'll be watching the skies later this evening, Im just not sold on the fact that more people are just looking up and reporting, I really have a feeling that we are experiencing an increase in Meteors.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Lee2563

I too was in Columbus and saw the meteor, at first I thought it was lightning until I looked directly above and then saw it burn out but the trail was visible for a few seconds and it did stretch across the sky. This was around 11:30 PM on 9/27/13
edit on 28-9-2013 by Locutis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

A friend just reporting seeing another one in Alabama just now. 7:45 pm EST 9/28/2013

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

alfa1

Lots of people keep saying that, but:
- Ever since amateur astronomers existed, some of them have had an interest in meteors. Almost any large amateur astronomy group will have a meteor division. And they arent reporting any increase recently.

- Ever since amateur radio existed, some of them have had an interest in meteor scatter. ie: bouncing signals off meteor debris. And they arent reporting any increase in the phenomenon recently.

- Youtube.

But...

The month of September has been a busy one in terms of sighting bright fireballs (likely meteors) across the U.S.. So far there have been 14 fireball sightings in the United States this month. This week, two of those fireballs were spotted over Ohio on two consecutive nights, Thurs. Sept. 26 an Friday Sept. 27.

The American Meteor Society (AMS) reports at least 373 reports of a bright fireball over the U.S. Midwest last night, following a similar event over about the same area the night before. The AMS called the coincidence of two bright fireballs spotted over the same region on consecutive days "surprising".

A bright light moving across the sky was reported around 11:33pm Sept. 27 by witnesses in Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin, and West Virginia. The vast majority of these reports came in from people in Ohio.

The fireball seen over the Ohio region last night marked the 14th fireball sighting in September, which is the most ever since the AMS began recording sightings online.

This fireball was most likely a meteor, as was the one on Sept. 26, which the AMS received over 400 reports on.

From the Cleveland Leader

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Reporting from northeast U.S.

Just saw an object in the southwestern sky. streaked downward in a southern direction.

Saw another similar object maybe a minute later streak in what appeared to be a an upward northeastern direction.

cool, but also kinda creepy..

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Daedalus
Reporting from northeast U.S.

Just saw an object in the southwestern sky. streaked downward in a southern direction.

Saw another similar object maybe a minute later streak in what appeared to be a an upward northeastern direction.

cool, but also kinda creepy..

Remember, streaking meteors are okay and quite common...it's the blazing fireballs that are either very bright, colorful, make a sound, leave a trail, break apart, or go boom in the night...or all of the above, that is what's on the rise and something we should be concerned about. Those are the things that are rare in life to see and yet more and more people are reporting witnessing these events.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Here is a good video of it -

and from sky news -

Hundreds of people in Indiana and neighbouring states called emergency services when a huge, bright blue flash appeared in the midnight sky.
The light, which appeared like a bolt of lightning shortly before 1am local time on Saturday, is thought to have been a meteor or falling space debris, the National Weather Service said.
According the American Meteor Society, there have been 13 similar sightings so far this year.
Police agencies as far north as Jasper County, in northwest Indiana, and as far south as Evansville received calls from people who had seen the "mystery object".
An air traffic controller at Indianapolis International Airport said he had received no reports from pilots at the time.
There were no reports of any injuries.

Link

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Wow, that really is something else. I've seen nothing like it other than the typical white-hot fireball dart across the sky then fizzle out.
edit on 29-9-2013 by swordsandpens because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I took that with my phone in the Lexington Metro area of KY 28 Sept @ around 10:30pm. I thought they might be Chinese lanterns because they just sort of hung there in the sky at varying degrees of height. In light of the other sightings, I thought I'd share this picture anyhow.

I took it out the window of my car while going down the road so it's not that good, but you can definitely see a large amount of lit up things there.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I saw this in CT. There would have to be more than one.
edit on 29-9-2013 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

It's a small world indeed! My mother was born there and many, many of my family members still live there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join