Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Downgrade ios 7 to 5 or 6?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Ive just upgraded to ios 7 and i really don't like it. I don't like the icons and its just to slow for my basic iphone 4. Ive been looking around trying to work out how to downgrade to ios 5 or 6 and every post ive read about it says you cant downgrade if you have a iphone 4s or later. Well that's great because i have just the basic iphone 4. But even so i haven't been able to find out how to downgrade (I'm no way an apple expert but i know for sure theres plenty of people ats who are).

One thing did make me laugh , when i typed in downgrade into Google the first entry on the predictive search was 'downgrade ios 7'. I guess I'm not the only one on the hunt to get rid of this nasty looking OS.

So does anyone know how i can downgrade my basic iphone 4 ? I did do a backup before i upgraded from my jailbroken ios 5 if this helps at all.

edit on 27-9-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I can't say if this works or not, but here's a link to a method.

I've grown to really like ios 7. I have the 5 though, so it runs pretty seamlessly. I hope this helps!

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

PhoenixOD
Ive just upgraded to ios 7 and i really don't like it. I don't like the icons and its just to slow for my basic iphone 4. Ive been looking around trying to work out how to downgrade to ios 5 or 6 and every post ive read about it says you cant downgrade if you have a iphone 4s or later. Well that's great because i have just the basic iphone 4. But even so i haven't been able to find out how to downgrade (I'm no way an apple expert but i know for sure theres plenty of people ats who are).

One thing did make me laugh , when i typed in downgrade into Google the first entry on the predictive search was 'downgrade ios 7'. I guess I'm not the only one on the hunt to get rid of this nasty looking OS.

So does anyone know how i can downgrade my basic iphone 4 ? I did do a backup before i upgraded from my jailbroken ios 5 if this helps at all.

You can't..

Apple isn't signing iOS6 or below anymore... so if you were to attempt to restore to it, you'd get an error..

I'm a long time Apple user and jailbreaker ( jailbreaking IS legal ) ... unless a hack comes out to allow you to downgrade, which has happened before ( rare though ) .. you're stuck on iOS7 .. the window closed to downgrade shortly after 7 was released.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by scojak

Thanks i did see that one, its written for iOS 7 beta so im not sure if its still applicable for ios7 official.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Im finding posts like this one quite a lot :

Whenever Apple releases a new version of iOS, there is a grace period — usually of a few days — where you can revert back to the previous version. There are also ways to downgrade if you happen to have an iPhone 4, which was the last iPhone to be properly and irrevocably jailbroken by hackers.

source

Sorry, I don’t think you can due to anti-jailbreaking changes made with the 4S and later models. You probably could if it was just an iPhone 4.

source

but not much more of an explanation that that.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

miniatus is correct , I found this video showing how to revert to ios 6 but they are reporting the method no longer works since the release of 7 .

EverythingApplePro 2 days ago
Guys this method is no longer working! Hopefully a new one will be out soon, currently looking into it!

Sorry mate looks like you're stuck with it for a while longer .

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Wow, thanks gortex im starting to hate apple so much. lol

I know Microsoft has a lot of haters but at least they never pull stunts like this.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Edit: gortex beat me to it

Yes there was a way at one point but it no longer works .. there was also a brief hack that let iPhone 4s downgrade to a certain revision, I can't remember exactly how that worked but I absolutely did use it ..

All of that has been patched in iOS 7 ..

I hate it also, but I understand the reasoning from a business stand point.. Apple has no problem with jailbreaks but the heart of a jailbreak has to do with bugs in the OS .. the jailbreak team finds exploits then uses those as ways to execute code to load the jailbreak on the device. Apple is essentially "morally" obligated to fix those exploits because a malicious hacker could ALSO use them to gain access, break out of the sandbox and steal your data..

By removing the ability to downgrade, Apple is removing the ability for hackers to gain access completely.. Apple never patches previous versions of the iOS to fix vulnerabilities, instead you upgrade and you're locked in.

This especially sucks for people who own older devices like a 3GS who can no longer upgrade because it's not compatable, but are stuck with their version.. bugs and all..

It's kind of a lazy way to go about it .. but it's effective at least... in a very annoying way

The main thing I don't like about apple is that you're forced to have the visuals they give you, I don't like the flat UI but I love the phone.. it would be nice if they'd just allow customization a little more than the wallpaper.
edit on 9/27/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

PhoenixOD
reply to post by gortex

Wow, thanks gortex im starting to hate apple so much. lol

I know Microsoft has a lot of haters but at least they never pull stunts like this.

Microsoft pulled worse stunts back in the day.. now they are desperately trying to rebuild their image.. even so, Windows 8 was total fail =) it cost the head of the windows team his job, and is probably why Steve Ballmer is on his way out.

Windows 8 was destined to be a failure anyway, it's the Microsoft curse.. almost every other revision is a failure and since Windows 7 was a success, Windows 8 had to not be .. Windows 9 ( or whatever they call it ) will probably be a win.. it was stupid of them to try design a mobile OS and then port it's UI to windows.. Windows 8 is designed as a touch OS .. it's awkward to use with a mouse... and removing the start button? horrible...

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
A little piece of advice however, sorry I'm being so wordy by the way..

Watch www.modmyi.com .. when a jailbreak comes out for iOS7 it will be reported there pretty quickly.. and once a jailbreak, which again, is perfectly legal, comes out .. it won't be long before someone starts creating iOS6 themes

Meaning you'll be able to, most likely, get your old iOS6 look and feel back for the most part, while keeping the features of iOS7 ..

From what I've read, a jailbreak has already been accomplished to some level but it likely won't be for several weeks, or months, before it comes out.. that's the usual cycle these days.. back in the "good old days" a JB came out within days..

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

PhoenixOD
reply to post by scojak

Thanks i did see that one, its written for iOS 7 beta so im not sure if its still applicable for ios7 official.

With iOS 7 beta you were allowed to downgrade back to iOS6 any time.. they said you couldn't, but if you put your device in DFU mode you could .. DFU mode is essentially the restore mode of the iPhone you can use when your OS is so messed up it won't boot or windows won't recognize it .. However, the ONLY reason that worked is because Apple was still signing iOS6 as the current OS .. that won't work now.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Last post before I exit the thread ( really, I promise )

Allegedly one of the jailbreak team members ( MuscleNerd ) states that it's safe to upgrade to 7.0.2 and is still able to be jailbroken.. this is also why you might not see a jailbreak for a little while, iOS7 is still new and Apple will be releasing minor updates .. the team MAY wait until 7.1 to release a jailbreak.

modmyi.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Thanks miniatus, its not the jailbreak im worried about to be honest. I dont like the speed of the new os , its slow and glitchy.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
It totally screwed up my daughters phone . Can't restore it or anything.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

do you mean you had a failed install? Because i had that as well and i manged to recover.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

kdog1982
It totally screwed up my daughters phone . Can't restore it or anything.

Do a DFU restore...

Make sure your iTunes is at the latest version.. the only time I've seen a DFU restore fail is when iTunes is out of date for the firmware it's trying to restore, or if the iPhone is damaged physically..

Ignore the title.. This applies to ALL iPhones, ignore the title..

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Did all the above. 3194 error. Tried it on several computers running windows 8. Failed to restore.

But thanks for your help!

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

kdog1982

Did all the above. 3194 error. Tried it on several computers running windows 8. Failed to restore.

But thanks for your help!

Well let's not give up just yet .. what kind of device is it? make/model.. that sort of thing

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
incase I'm not available to be specific .. I did find this, and I'm sure you tried but I'm not sure so I decided it best to at least post it..

Error 1004, 1013, 1638, 3014, 3194: These errors may be the result of the connection to gs.apple.com being redirected or blocked. Follow these steps to resolve these errors:
1. Install the latest version of iTunes.
2. Check security software. Ensure that communication to gs.apple.com is allowed. Follow this article for assistance with security software. iTunes for Windows: Troubleshooting security software issues.
3. Check the hosts file. The restore will fail if there is an active entry to redirect gs.apple.com. Follow iTunes: Advanced iTunes Store troubleshooting to edit the hosts file or revert to a default hosts file. See section "Blocked by configuration: (Mac OS X/Windows) > Rebuild network information".
4. Try to restore from another known-good computer and network.
5. If the errors persist on another computer, the device may need service.

I got this from here, so if you need to follow any of the the steps, the links can be found.. specifically step 2 and 3 would be my most suspected..

discussions.apple.com...

I would also ABSOLUTELY recommend trying to install itunes on another computer if you have one available, and try the restore from there... I've NEVER seen a restore fail unless the hardware is messed up, or there's an issue with iTunes.. if it works from another computer you can eliminate iTunes as the issue and assume that the hardware is messed up.. it can't be iOS 7 because the DFU restore is before iOS even loads.. so if it fails in DFU mode with another computer, something else is wrong.

Again.. good luck...

Edit:

I did see odd issues with ios7 beta 3 .. trying to upgrade to ios7 final, I had to downgrade itunes in order to do it.. I don't know why, but this would only matter if you were running a beta..
edit on 9/27/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Just a side note.. one thing I HATE is that developers will assign an error number and yet call it "Unknown Error" ..

IN all my years as a programmer, I don't trap an error, provide it a number and call it unknown... Apple devs suck in this regard.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join