It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18 Months for a Stupid Laser Trick

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Go visit this site: www.laserpointersafety.com...

Then learn some knowledge before spewing out crap like "Is this justified???? 18 months??"

Dude, 18 months is nothing. The previous two cases, both were sentenced multiple years. I think in 2008, the guy got 2 years. Then in 2010 or something, another guy got 3 years.

Actually, if you think about it, not only 18 months is justified, it's not enough of a punishment. Because what they are essentially doing, is committing a 3rd degree murder.

Go to the web site link I gave and read up on it. Most importantly, look at the pictures shown on the web, it actually visually shows you what happens when you point a laser into the sky and hitting a plane.

I mean, if you really look at it, the laser may seem like a small stream of light on the ground but the pilot in the air getting hit by it, is like almost watching a gigantic light show appearing right in their eyes. In my opinion, the intensity isn't any less than direct sun rays shining into your eye.

So, please folks.... do not point lasers at planes, unless you want to be afraid of dropping the soap for the next 2 to 3.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
During the Egyptian revolution, everyone had lasers on the helicopters. A little different scenario tho.

Just need to teach people not to shine them at aircraft.

Don't need to lock them up and turn them into Violent Criminals!!

The lasers are blinding, and even more sometimes after they refracted.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

MDDoxs
reply to post by HomerinNC

I dont know what punishment would be sutiable.

In my opinion cramming more people in Jail, into an already over crowded system, is not the answer.

I would much rather see a huge fine. Like $500,000.00 or something. That would certainly teach someone a lesson.

So to you, a human life is worth ONLY 500k...
um...wow, yeah...I'm done here
edit on 9/27/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Missile-guidance lasers uses a nonvisible wavelength, usually infrared. In other words, the beam guidance lasers (and most other military lasers, including HELLADS and the Airborne Laser System) are invisible to the naked eye, unlike laser pointers.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

melodramatic much?

I don't want to argue. No one died.

I was just throwing out numbers there. If we went with imprisonment, then we have even more stress on the prison system.

My apologies for offending you.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

JohnPhoenix
So.. a kid with a cheap laser can't do this but guided missile systems use lasers to paint the targets (aircraft) all the time - And no harm comes to the pilot who Cannot even See the laser from his vantage point if they are above a certain height. Even if they are low to the ground you would need a very small window and very tight trajectory to hit the pilot in the eyes.

I honestly don't believe there has ever been a recorded instance of pilots being blinded and killed ( or caused to be killed) by lasers from civilians. I have read pilots claimed to have been blinded for a few seconds by lasers but this is no concern to pilots. It is unheard of that both pilot and co-pilot were blinded not to mention even so, they would quickly recover and or engage the auto pilot.

I cannot find a single instance searching the web where people were actually killed by shining a laser into a cockpit. It is always only a fear it seems though there is no direct evidence. ( of course I could have missed it but it's not like so many people are getting killed by this that it's all over the news - that does Not happen.)

I concede Cessna pilots and other flyers who keep low to the ground, have a single pilot and no auto pilot is at greater risk - yet cant find any of these that died either.

There are even reports that in Egypt thousands of people shot lasers at the military helicopters and none had any ill effects.

n contrast to all this discussion of consumer lasers as grave threats to aircraft, during the July 2013 protests of the Morsi Presidency in Egypt and later celebration of his removal, thousands of protesters and revelers aimed laser pointers at government helicopters with no apparent effect
en.wikipedia.org... - Lasers and aviation safety

I'm not convinced 18 months was warranted.
edit on 27-9-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

agreed, community service would be more appropriate

an excellent rebuttal to the "do not incur the wrath of the masters" crowd

would you join me in wager against them?

as I bet this kid would be facing much more jail-time
[with the attendant risks of rape, mutilation,etc.]
if he'd dared disable/blind one of the masters precious drones

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join