It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity finds water in Martian Soil!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Looks like our pet robot has found water traces in a soil sample on the 'Red Planet'.

NASA scientists have reached a milestone in their quest to find life on the Red Planet after discovering significant traces of water in the Martian soil. The Mars Curiosity Rover discovered water when investigating the very first scoop of soil it took from the surface of Mars.

"One of the most exciting results from this very first solid sample ingested by Curiosity is the high percentage of water in the soil," said Laurie Leshin, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Dean of Science and author of a report on the findings. "About 2 per cent of the soil on the surface of Mars is made up of water, which is a great resource, and interesting scientifically."

Source

NASA Source

Here is a video by youtube's 'D News';

The guy is a little bit excited, but I'm sure a lot of people are!

Waiting for more information in the future.

edit on 27-9-2013 by covertpanther because: Spacing* (pun intended)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by covertpanther

I'm sure I speak for many when I say this but it's been known that there's water on Mars for some time now. Water seeps up from underneath the ground.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I'm sure I speak for many when I say this but it's been known that there's water on Mars for some time now. Water seeps up from underneath the ground.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

Sure it has been 'known'.. Thats why we sent this robot-rover to find out, and now its SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN!

You dont need to speak for most, Mars rover is doing it for us all

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Life is next,they have found life in salt mines here on earth.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Great news to have it scientifically confirmed. Two percent works out at around 40 lb of water per ton and that's a significant amount. It means potentially, it could be recovered and used by future expeditions for a wide range of life-supporting applications.

Many thanks for posting this info for ATS members.

edit on 27/9/13 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I thought we have known this for a while now. It was short lived news but Canadian instruments
picked up snow fall on mars 5 years ago. Are we still wondering?

A Canadian-built weather station on NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander has detected snow falling from Martian clouds."Nothing like this view has ever been seen on Mars," said Jim Whiteway of York University in Toronto, lead scientist for the Canadian Meteorological Station on Phoenix."That is snow falling from the clouds.""We'll be looking for signs that the snow may even reach the ground," he said.Data collected show the snow vaporizing before reaching the surface.

www.thestar.com...

Apparently scientists were muzzled over it. CSA paid for it
so its government which means the feds have to approve any
news released. They didn't. I guess pipe lines to the Gulf of Mexico
are more important.

meh.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

Agree they
will find life there
Life is found in hot volcanic springs at the bottom of the ocean.
And on the edge of space.
edit on 27-9-2013 by templar knight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Deffinately a significant amount!

You are very welcome, nice avatar btw

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
When opening this thread i was really expecting to find a picture of a martin rock that looked like a mineral water

Glad to find a thread about "life on mars" that actually has some credibility

a truly interesting find.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Thread already posted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The idea that all we need for life to exist is a bit of water is nothing short of crazy in my book. All the life on this planet can be traced back to single common ancestor. What this mean is that throughout the entire history of this planet life has only ever spontaneously started once as far as we know and this is on a planet that has ALL the right chemicals and conditions to support life..not just water. If there were two family trees that existed on this planet then the odds of life existing elsewhere would be very reasonable but at the moment its just a freak event as far as science is concerned.

If all you needed was water and the right conditions for life to start then it would be popping up all the time on our planet because we have the right conditions and plenty of water. But sadly its not, just one time and everything else then developed from it.

Understanding just how mindbogglingly complex just a single cell is and the thousands of complex interactions that go on inside it really drives home how unlikely life is to happen by chance. Im not saying it didnt happen by chance here on earth but it might be that it was such a freakishly complex series of events that caused it to happen that it might never happen again.

edit on 27-9-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

PhoenixOD
The idea that all we need for life to exist is a bit of water is nothing short of crazy in my book. All the life on this planet can be traced back to single common ancestor. What this mean is that throughout the entire history of this planet life has only ever spontaneously started once as far as we know and this is on a planet that has ALL the right chemicals and conditions to support life..not just water. If there were two family trees that existed on this planet then the odds of life existing elsewhere would be very reasonable but at the moment its just a freak event as far as science is concerned.

If all you needed was water and the right conditions for life to start then it would be popping up all the time on our planet because we have the right conditions and plenty of water. But sadly its not, just one time and everything else then developed from it.

Understanding just how mindbogglingly complex just a single cell is and the thousands of complex interactions that go on inside it really drives home how unlikely life is to happen by chance. Im not saying it didnt happen by chance here on earth but it might be that it was such a freakishly complex series of events that caused it to happen that it might never happen again.

edit on 27-9-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)
wow simply wow. That is complicated stuff inside a cell. Its amazing life could ever replicate. The only explanation? Thats the only way it could be.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

covertpanther
Looks like our pet robot has found water traces in a soil sample on the 'Red Planet'.

NASA scientists have reached a milestone in their quest to find life on the Red Planet after discovering significant traces of water in the Martian soil. The Mars Curiosity Rover discovered water when investigating the very first scoop of soil it took from the surface of Mars.

"One of the most exciting results from this very first solid sample ingested by Curiosity is the high percentage of water in the soil," said Laurie Leshin, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Dean of Science and author of a report on the findings. "About 2 per cent of the soil on the surface of Mars is made up of water, which is a great resource, and interesting scientifically."

Source

NASA Source

Here is a video by youtube's 'D News';

The guy is a little bit excited, but I'm sure a lot of people are!

Waiting for more information in the future.

edit on 27-9-2013 by covertpanther because: Spacing* (pun intended)

I believe they are taking us by baby steps first scientists discovered ALH 84001 in Antarctica this is an old meteorite that some how was determined it was blasted off the face of Mars some 16,000,000 years ago and came from Mars arriving on Earth some 13,000 years ago. The meteorite in some circles was determined to harbor possible microscopic or organic molecules.

Then recently we get news that possible life as we know it on Earth came from Mars and then we have proof that water exists on Mars from the Mars Curiosity Rover Mission. Yes satellite photos showing water run offs, also snow and ice from the Viking Missions. The next biggie will be that rover missions discovered microscopic life forms on Mars. Mars is full of lifeforms tiny and large you will see as things progress. ^Y^

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by amari

I am very aware of the agenda here amari, you are so correct in my eyes. I know they are stealing billions of $$ over the past few decades, for secret space operations - then they make robots like Curiosity as a front to say "Look we took your money, but we made this cool robot for the sake of humanity and space exploration" .. Yea they sugar coat it.

Meanwhile the public people are not aware of what goes on behind the front, the secret space programs. Like I tell everyone; this touch-screen, iPhone and all "cool" technology we see in recent years - is old news for those in the government agencies. They have been using touch screen for decades.. They release the 'baby-tech' to the people, when they are light years ahead in technology.

But dont worry about that stuff, our robot pet has found water in soil!

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

You are correct the secret space program has been said to be as much ahead of the public by about 50 years. We the public are watching model T technology compared to the anti-gravity space ships and teleportation devices used by the secret space program. ^Y^

new topics

top topics

join