It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D-Printed Semiautomatic Pistol Unveiled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The same company that brought a 3D printed AR15 Magazine and a 3D printed single shot pistol has now produce a 3D printed semi-automatic pistol.

Source

Such is the case with 3D weapons manufacturing. Defense Distributed has led the way with their innovations, sparking others to provide their own offerings. Their progress, as well as their subsequent hindering by the US Department of Defense Trade Controls, has been documented by a series of video updates below. Various versions of pistols and rifles have already been printed and successfully test fired. So far, "The Grizzly" pistol has managed to get off 14 single shots. Now, designer Proteus has uploaded their files for a semi-automatic pistol to Defcad.com and Fosscad Twitter.

Defense Distributed

Unfortunately the youtube videos have already been removed

One other thing to note in the article was this:

The open-source nature of 3D printing is poised to render anti-gun legislation nearly obsolete. For those who believe that 3D printing can be restricted, futurist and a director of engineering at Google, Ray Kurzweil, recently noted that it will soon be possible to print an entire 3D printer from a 3D printer, at a very low cost ... globally. Then what?

It will soon be possible to print a 3D printer from a 3D printer. That to me is amazing.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Less than six months from single shot Liberator to semi auto with detachable magazines.

I wonder if we can apply some form of Moore's Law. Maybe DEFCAD's Law?

Next year we'll be printing subguns.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

I applaud to this. Not because a design of a instrument of war exactly, but evolution of technology before our eyes. It's beautiful.
edit on 27-9-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I'm not sure how many shots you can fire with that before it crumbles.
but it's a hell of a step forward.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

The video has been removed from Youtube? For what? Seriously, Youtube (Google) needs to grow a pair.

On topic, this is great. I can't wait until 3D printers come down in cost and every home will have one like we have printers today.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Great!

More ways for Lunatics to get their hands on a gun and go shoot people up!

Way to go..... USA!

Of course, if it were only intelligent people with guns or making guns from Printers, you wouldn't have all these Shoot-ups occurring.......... but.....

That isn't the case.... is it?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

Last week, I went to the UPS store right around the corner from my neighborhood to ship a package, and lo-and-behold....a 3-D printer! one of only three UPS stores in the whole country!
it was so neat to see it in action, and the guy gave me some souvenirs!

edit on 27-9-2013 by ltinycdancerg because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

I suppose the only important question is, is this thing any good? As we are often told, a gun is just a tool. An object. In order to justify the effort made to build an object, or indeed maintain a tool, that tool must function to a standard which the user expects from it. The idea of being able to print a weapon from abs plastics is appealing for its lack of government interference in the acquisition process, but I wonder just how effective this weapon would be, and how durable.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

id say at current stages is mostly a more usefull version of the ww2 liberator,designed to be a partisan weapon ie one used to get better weapons now give it 3-10 years and we most likely will be arming militarys with the weapons produced on 3d printers......i wanna know when it can print up more complex and durable products like mortars tank barrels rockets etc

top topics

join