Richard Branson: Commercial Space Travel Is Coming in 2014

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   

That's according to Sir Richard Branson, the billionaire serial entrepreneur who is also the founder of Virgin Galactic, the company that plans to make space travel available to the masses..

Passengers will board the SpaceShipTwo (SS2) Enterprise, which recently just broke supersonic speeds in its second test flight, climbed to 69,000 feet above ground, and, Branson said, releases close to zero carbon emissions. The experience won't quite be like boarding a NASA space shuttle, but it will definitely provide views you can't get on a plane.

For now, though, travelers will have to pay $250,000 for a ticket. Commercial space travel is not yet cheap, but Branson believes this is very much the start of something huge, and not just cheaper joyrides outside the atmosphere.

"Through space travel, we're going to be able to do transformative things for the world," Branson said on stage at the Social Good Summit Tuesday. "We're going to be able to monitor if a ship is fishing illegally — we can spot it live through our satellites. We can check if people are hunting down rhinos."

For Branson, space travel is the mechanism by which a host of dreams are made real

SpaceShipTwo (SS2) Enterprise

you want some? Just pay $250,000..(just)..

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Space travel for the masses... 250 grand .. Some of us can't afford to feed our families every night. Maybe space travel for the masses in the future but not in 2014 that's going to be for the rich folk

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

I can't wait to see this happen I hope there aren't any catastrophic failures that halt civilian progress..

I'm going to hold off until they have a vehicle that can go underwater and fly into orbit. haha.. I'll just start saving my money.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I am glad this is happening, but like you say, some people can't even afford to eat.

Ahh well, without innovation we'd still be stuck on another island, pointing at the other side of the ocean yelling "No YOU come over here!" until we invented a sling shot and killed each other.

Great progress obviously comes at great cost. It has to come from practical application and not theory alone, and that's what we have here...

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

reminds me of this.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
IS this really space? i thought it was just Low earth Orbit, yes you will float but meh.....

Ill pay when i can be somewhere close to moon! that actual "space"!

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

luciddream
IS this really space? i thought it was just Low earth Orbit, yes you will float but meh.....

Ill pay when i can be somewhere close to moon! that actual "space"!

Branson's SpaceShipTwo will technically be in space -- space as defined by the "Karman line", which is the most-accepted definition of what constitutes "Space".

The Karman line is 100 km (about 60 miles) above sea level. Branson's craft will reach altitudes of 110 KM (68 miles), which would meet the definition of being in space.

It should be noted that SpaceShipTwo can only achieve suborbital flights (up to 110km and then right back down again, along a high arcing path), but I'm sure Branson and others have their sights set on eventually creating a spacecraft that could take tourists into orbit.

edit on 9/27/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
A ticket to leave the planet for rich folk in dangerous circumstances? I wonder if the parachutes will be made in China?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Tsu322
A ticket to leave the planet for rich folk in dangerous circumstances? I wonder if the parachutes will be made in China?

It doesn't leave the planet any more than a plane leaves the planet.
"SS2" goes up 68 miles until gravity pulls it back down to Earth again.

edit on 9/27/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join