It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypothetically if Earth establish off world colonies, would the colonies have separatist tendencies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Hypothetically should Earth establish off world colonies, would the colonies have separatist tendencies?

In the past many Nations (Like the United States of America for example) have been former colonies that have obtain independence from a part of a nation or an empire(America from the British Empire) whether by force or peacefully(Like Australia). I wonder what if it applies to hypothetical off world colonies. All it takes just like in the past was a major disagreement (whether political and economical) and boom we'll separatist movements.

Some Sci Fi stories have explored this concepts such as the Halo Novels(The Insurrectionists) and Star Wars(Confederacy of Independent Systems) .

edit on 26-9-2013 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

It the purely hypothetical and with reference to history; initially the answer should be no. Given time and distance though, eventually a "separatist" attitude will begin to form as a new culture and way of life develops. As that distant colony begins to develop and evolve, it will no longer need the "host" culture anymore and will begin to actively resist any outside intervention.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

In answer to the question. Yes, They at some point in the future would even develop different myths and legends.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

But it can also be political too in a sense like if the host culture happened to be run by a oppressive form of government. I'm pretty sure those who believe in liberty and equality would also break away and form their own government.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Once they had weened themselves off the need for assistance from the parent planet, it would be inevitable. They would tire of what they see as outside interference with internal matters, especially if the colony were set up to be a resource gathering site. Most likely it would go the way of colonial America, the whole "Taxation with no representation." I would see it as slowly gathering momentum, with the parent planet continueing to impose rules and laws to attempt to subdue the colony back to a subservient state, with continued escalation until succession, most likely leading to war, would occur.
Basic human nature I would think.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
If they are self sufficient than I would say absolutely they will eventually have separatists tendencies.
The lifestyle and challenges of living on a different planet will have little in common with on earth.
The desire for self rule would be natural because only they would know what is best for them.
Taking orders from earth bound big wigs won`t sit well with interplanetary colonist.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

If we were to base it on Star Trek, I could see a United Federation of Planets being set up, run by the Earth government, just like we have the UN now who is involved in national disputes etc. I could see future Earth colonies being just like a nation on Earth presently, they would have their own government and militaries and have trade agreements, embargoes against them when they have broken a galactic law laid down by the Federation.

It would be just like the present Earth with nations but on a galactic scale, this is how the human race is and I cannot see it changing.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

starwarsisreal
reply to post by ownbestenemy

But it can also be political too in a sense like if the host culture happened to be run by a oppressive form of government. I'm pretty sure those who believe in liberty and equality would also break away and form their own government.

Then it was separatist from the start no? If such a colony set out to disengage from their host culture?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Depends on whether or not the colony is self sufficient.

If the planet they colonize lends it self to development and growth, then yes. Why do you want to work for the man and give away what you have dedicated your life too.

If the the planet doesn't lend it self to development and growth, then no. Because their survival depends upon the man.

Of course it also depends upon how big the colony is that you are talking about.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
If we cant live in peace and harmony on our own ball of mud, lets hope any real powers that be dont let us attempt to colonise other planets.
Those in control of this planet seem to have an unending thirst for conquer and aquisition.
We couldn't risk this spreading any further than here.
If we engaged other species we would either wage war or control them and their planet.
Lets hope that dont happen in the foreseeable future until we can change our ways here first.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Oh yes, and no doubt we would have American colonies and European and Asian colonies fighting wars.
As above so below or in this case as below so above.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I find these ideas intriguing. I would imagine by the time humans become spacefaring people, they will have completely different views, opinions, ideologies, ect. than we have today. We see a giant leap in these subjects just over the last 50 years, so imagine hundreds if not thousands of years down the line when trekking across the Universe becomes a norm for humans.

I find the hive mind theory interesting.

Last month, researchers created an electronic link between the brains of two rats separated by thousands of miles. This was just another reminder that technology will one day make us telepaths. But how far will this transformation go? And how long will it take before humans evolve into a fully-fledged hive mind?

They all told me that the possibility of a telepathic noosphere is very real — and it's closer to reality than we might think. And not surprisingly, this would change the very fabric of the human condition.
Full Article: io9.com...

So since the so called 'hive mind' is something that may and according to some, will happen. Perhaps ideas such as 'separatist' may become extinct for tomorrows travelers of the cosmos.

Great topic for discussion, S&F Op.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Eventually. Once the colony becomes self sufficient, and more and more of its citizens are born there, rather than on Mother Earth, it's inevitable that separatist tendencies will begin to surface.

I'm not aware of any of the colonies here on Earth that didn't.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
It's impossible to say without proper context. The Western US could be viewed as a colony. It became integrated and there is no separatist movement.

new topics

top topics

join