It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personal Project - Grasp the Galaxy - Interactive exploration of our galactic neighborhood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I've been working on a "game" where the main goal is education and exploration of real life wonders without sacrificing the fun aspect of gaming.

Its been a long process and its still far away from realization. Recently I decided that I needed to release something soon or go burn out. I needed to get some feedback as well as some

encouragement to continue. Maybe even expand the operation and get a little team going to get this realized in a more reaslistic time frame.

It all starts in space. The user is free to explore our local galactic neighbourhood and learn some fun facts along the way.

You will be able to explore some of the Astronomical Object in greater details. Such as visiting the site of the moon landing and drive around the lunar rover, or exploring planet Earth and some of

the wonders it has to offer. Here we see the rough view of the first person exploration of Ancient Egypt.

The solar system navigation element of the game is the most complete and is the one I can show you, if you are interested. You'll need to download a quick little plugin for the Unity player (the

web player isn't available for Linux atm). The intended platform for this part of the release will be touch devices, Android primarily. However, with a few tweaks it can be a web browser game or a

stand alone install for PC, Linux or Mac.

goo.gl...

Keep in mind that this is an early alpha and that it was not intended to be played with a mouse, however it works mostly the same as it does on mobile, with a few extra glitches.

So, what cha think?
edit on 26-9-2013 by philozofer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by philozofer

That's really cool, I would play the hell out of that..

Two thumbs up

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by hknudzkknexnt

Thanks hknudzkknexnt. Have you had a chance to try it out? If so, what did you think? Any suggestions or constructive criticism?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   

From looking at the pictures and description, this looks like a very interesting and massive project. Are you working on it all by yourself? Thumbs up to you, I know how much work goes into game creation, and unity can be a fickle creature.

Both myself and my son would definately play something like this.

I haven't the time to look at it closer this morning, but will do so later.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Bronagh

It is a pretty massive project. I've been meaning to try and get a few people involved with the project as well as possibly crowd sourcing the venture.

I hope to finalize things in the next couple of weeks and start spreading the word.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

So finally I made the time to have a closer look.
It's nice that with Unity you can just click a link and wait for the screen to load, no installs and other irritants to deal with.

I went through most of the controls and options, as well as reading what you wrote about some of the planets.

I like what I'm seeing so far. The music is pretty calming, and after I turned it down a bit, I enjoyed having it in the background.
The controls were easy for me to work out, although I did have a problem after comparing scale where I could not figure out how to get back to normal view. Also at one point after zooming in close to Mercury, there was some shaking of the screen in a certain view. It went away when rotated to a different angle. But problems are to be expected during an early alpha version of a game.
All in all a very interesting looking game, I hope to see more of it.

Edit to add: I am on a PC running windows 7.
edit on 29-9-2013 by Bronagh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I did a lot more work on this project and am ready to start marketing the project. If anyone is interested in helping out in any way it would be great.

grasptheplanet.com...

new topics

top topics

join