It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge rules that Google's reading of Gmail email can be challenged under wiretap laws.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

A class-action suit targeting Google's scanning of Gmail messages to deliver targeted advertising can go ahead, based on a federal anti-wiretapping law, a judge ruled Thursday.

US District Judge Lucy Koh in San Jose, Calif. writes:

"a reasonable Gmail user who read the Privacy Policies would not have necessarily understood that her e-mails were being intercepted to create user profiles or to provide targeted advertisements."

What's hilarious and disturbing at the same time is that Google claims:

"that non-Gmail users -- e-mail users who do not have a Gmail account and who did not accept Google's Terms of Service or Privacy Policies -- nevertheless impliedly consented to Google's interception of their e-mails to and from Gmail users."

In other words, even though you're not a Gmail user, you still gave consent by receiving email from a Gmail user that your emails could be intercepted as well.

Judge Koh shot that notion down:

"the cases Google cites for this far-reaching proposition hold only that the sender of an e-mail consents to the intended recipients' recording of the e-mail -- not, as has been alleged here, interception by a third-party service provider."

Links to the story:

news.cnet.com...
www.bloomberg.com...

Link to the official court document:

www.scribd.com...

It's great that Google is being held accountable for this. However, I believe the only thing that's going to happen is an updated privacy / terms and conditions policy. In other words, some of the wording will be changed and that will be about it.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Thats good, I wonder how they would like it if the public snooped on there emails
edit on 26-9-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by hknudzkknexnt

Every time I see SO post a screenie of work he's done on ATS, I note that there are adverts in it.

I wonder if google employees using gmail are also using targetted adverts to ensure they are directed to the best advertising.

I bet, for some crazy reason, not.

I had never even considered the aspect of third parties involved in correspondence with gmail. Absolutely appalling. Google really is disgusting.

And ya know, I dont even care if I say it out loud any more, they can ban my account again for all I care. I'll just start a new one, they're pathetic. But now the cat is out of the bag, I rekon I'm safe. No need to ban people who are saying it, or they'd have to ban everyone.

And it would add to the problems, if they ban accounts for speaking truth (as opposed to speaking lies as they claimed before, when they did ban my account) when that account has android apps that require their miserable accounts to maintain services. Oh that's a law suit I am sure. If I purchase an app and then cannot access it because of their arrogance. ha.

google, your days are numbered. not even microsoft was so arrogant.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I have to admit my ignorance for not fully reading the TOS when using gmail for my businesses. That being said, those email addresses are NOT free. I pay for the domain name and utilize gmail as the mail service.

While I believe it's insidious to offer something for free with an ulterior motive to strip mine and use the content, the service IS free. You or I are free to choose another service.

If they are doing this with my paid business accounts, I definitely wish to become a part of any class action lawsuit against them considering the delicate and what I assumed PRIVATE nature of emails utilized through my paid accounts.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Nothing will happen to Google. They are too useful to the NSA and the other alphabet agencies, and I don't see them allowing any restrictions on Google's ability to gather, store, and analyze that data, which Google is better at than any other company.

edit on 26-9-2013 by QuantumCypher because: spelling

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

I seriously doubt it. You're a small fish. If you cannot set up your own mx records and mail server, and rely on gmail for your business email, then they're using you just as they are using joe bloggs who doesn't pay a cent.

Heck I can set up my own email server at home, on my pc. I used to do that. I encountered, unfortunately, problems with other mail server refusing to accept interation with a unrecognised domain.

that might have changed, I don't know or care any longer, but if you're using google for business, you're pretty much feeding them free revenue...

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   

QuantumCypher
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Nothing will happen to Google. They are too useful to the NSA and the other alphabet agencies, and I don't see them allowing any restrictions on Google's ability to gather, store, and analyze that data, which Google is better at than any other company.

It's a sad world where you can be this cynical and know damn well you're right.

Judges can pass down all the decisions they want; Google will only change their tactics enough to meet the letter of the law and go on as if nothing happened....

top topics

join