Observation on a "darkness" that seems to hang over society

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

Very well put but tell me , what do you think it will be like when those of us who can remember "when kindness was considered a virtue" are no longer here?

Point being as a predator species when we are not at war we really have nothing else to do but turn on each other and then there are those that would seem to make sure we do just that.

The fact that we seem to excel during war and digress during a time of so called peace would seem to support my opinion.

edit on 27-9-2013 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Thank You! I was born in 1951 and you have validated how I feel about the current condition of american mood. Do you think it is the continual wars since we were kids that has hardened our hearts and want to live for the moment? We don't seem to care about living, thinking children anymore. I remember america being a family friendly place. Restaurants, movies, vacations, get togethers, pot luck dinners on the neighborhood street.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Internet. A world of dissociation.

The wonderful world of social media

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Zanti Misfit
I was Born in 1956. As a Child , the World back then was a Beautiful Place . It all seemed to Change around 1980 .

You noticed that too huh? I felt like telling the OP "Pics or it didn't happen", meaning that the younger generations will see words like that as just words. Someone needs to make a complication of short clips (as to keep peoples' attention spans focused) of the way people behaved in society pre-1980. Maybe then people will understand how society used to behave then vs. now.

As it stands though, this is just the way things have always been to the younger among us, and reverting back to behaviors of an earlier time will seem, to them, that we would be devolving. To the older generations who have "been there done that", that's exactly what society is doing now. That fact is hidden though because people equate advances in technology as advancements in the human condition. Some do at least, most people don't get that deep and that's part of the issue. People don't seem to put much thought into why things are the way they are. They just blindly accept it and go about their merry way being as cutthroat as they need to be to make more money to buy more things.

They don't care about themselves. They care about how they look to other people, and everyone is so gun-shy about making a stand about...........well, anything really because they are unsure of how that would make them look. I can understand kids doing this because they're still learning, but adults? How will this all play out through the years as more and more people add to the snowball? God may know, but I don't.

I care about people, but what can I do? I may not be able to change the way things are, but I'll be damned if I'm going to conform to that which is beneath me. That being the collective mindset of the current society. And I say that because people of my generation know exactly what changes have taken place in society. The younger generations think we have our collective noses in the air and are snubbing them. Maybe we are, but if people don't want to listen to reason, and God knows I've tried, they can piss off. If I can reach out and make a connection with the younger generation, even those on the cusp between the most previous and now........which seem to be the hardest people to reach, the least they can do is reciprocate. Yet we're the one's with the holier than thou attitude. Amazing. And I'm sorry, but I have just as little patience with people of my generation who don't want to see this either. They should know better.

Look at this old codger......just rambling on like that.

Well, that my 2 cents. Throw them in a wishing well and see what happens.

www.youtube.com...

So yeah, people just need to lighten up and quit stressing things.

edit on 27-9-2013 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Revolution9

The main difference between then and now, is our ability to upload, stat, survey, and post changes with much ease.

Back then you either wrote a book or did a news article.

I agree, stuff really hasn't changed much other than our ability to put it in perspective with a click.

As for the darkness - sure we all can agree that it exists. It seems to have existed for quite some time...

Maybe this internet stuff will help us all better ourselves and move out of the darkness.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Whereas I agree with your doctor absolutely in that we have the same ratio of mental illness that we've always had, I disagree that it's simply mental illness or that we're going through some sort of generational perturbation. This time in history is much more different than any other previous time and largely because we can communicate far and wide due to the internet. That adds a component to it all, I think. Although a lot of times, I think Google's response to extremely negative or even grotesque commentary has more to do with fluffing their Google+ numbers than actually correcting the issue, they are right. All one has to do is go to youtube or just about any other website and see the disturbing side of humanity. I truly believe this adds a component to "how we view the world" as a society in general. Although the internet provides both the good and the bad with a social mask, in a way, it takes the mask of politeness that we generally show while in public completely off.

And it's hard, viewing some of the things that people say to each other online, not to let it shatter your view of humanity in general. You can write it off as punk kids trolling or perhaps the individual is simply mental. I've watched people, now and then, get in a verbal fight with a cashier and it somehow being reminiscent of a facebook argument. On the other hand, I've also gone to a store and been startled by a man, who was most certainly not a person with a low mental capacity, start raving about bacon, over and over again. Bacon!! Bacon!! and it wasn't like he had a friend with him. There are people who have utterly blurred the lines in their behavior between online and real life.

We have two sorts of human society these days when previously, we had just one. The first society would be our physical one. That second society is the online society which is bad enough that most parents with common sense try to keep their children off of it for fear that their child could become so cyberbullied that they find them hanging in their bedroom. A brutal, mocking, repugnant, impolite, ignorant, and hostile society which oftentimes seems to favor cruelty over kindness. That second society will bleed over into the first and compound those first society's issues to make the world seem to be a very unkind, ruthless and disturbing place where people walking around may only be pretending to be normal and nice. That sort of lens on human behavior is something that we have never had before and the increased usage of it would actually fit the worsening of the first society.

Page 2: www.census.gov...

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

MOMof3
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Thank You! I was born in 1951 and you have validated how I feel about the current condition of american mood. Do you think it is the continual wars since we were kids that has hardened our hearts and want to live for the moment? We don't seem to care about living, thinking children anymore. I remember america being a family friendly place. Restaurants, movies, vacations, get togethers, pot luck dinners on the neighborhood street.

I remember family block parties...huge neighborhood pot lucks. Kids riding bicycles, playing ball, while parents sat in folding lawn chairs passing paper plates of of shared goodies. Now it would be called a flash mob, and end in a bad way.

Des

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

My neighborhood has thrown an annual block party every year for at least the last 20 years on the 4th of July. Every year, it was a pretty pleasant thing. Good times. This last year, two of the homes were suffering from lay offs and the strain of it, by the end of the night, became extremely clear and to the extent where this normally very polite, friendly block who'd known each other for decades turned into, at one point, a scene straight from a reality tv show without warrant.

Next year, there will be no block party.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

That's a real shame, and a sign of the times. I used to throw an annual Beggars Banquet pot luck holiday dinner, with me providing most of the main courses. Usually 2 turkeys a couple of hams...lot of side dishes. 4 years ago, I stopped doing that. Due to dinner party crasher showing up, treating my get together like a local food bank, packing up huge amounts of food, and leaving like they were entitled to all the free stuff they could cart out to their cars.

I don't know when this attitude of *get what you can before anyone else gets theirs* became so prevalent...but it's part of that dark cloud the OP speaks of.

Des

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

. Social mobility used to be a big part of Americas' self image compared to what used to be called the old world. It appears to me that this trend has come full cycle. Now people dream of being married into royalty, getting lucrative jobs serving the oil rich, and being "discovered" by some existing . . .

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Revolution9

What good old days?

Do you mean during world war 1, world war 2, Vietnam?

The good old days are an illusion. What we really mean is a time when we were young and idealistic.

One poster said it happened for them in 1980 when they felt the world change. For me it was 1997. That is when I lost my idealistic virginity and realised that the world is a dark place and always has been.

It is up to us to change things if we don't like the way things are. We all do have at least some power in that respect. If you are missing a kind world then get out there and be kind! It will hurt you every day because you will see how ignorant people can be. Yet you will also be trying to make things better and this kind of behaviour will rub off on others.

It is just the same old business. We grow up and lose our illusions and see the world for what it is.

It's easy...just be a GOOD SAMARITAN like Christ told us to be and we will instantly have a society that is kind.

I think your post and this one sum up how I feel in regards to whether the world is a worse place than it used to be. My first post here is just about how I might make the world darker for others because of my social failings, but do I really feel the world has changed for the worse? Not really, but I agree with you and the poster that we have illusions and we break them down as we age and since there's so much inertia and time invested in ourselves it's very difficult for us to change or see things differently. The way we think and approach things kind of becomes cemented. Honestly, I think it's linked to the aging of the mind. When we're young we're fluid and change easily, but by the time we're 30 and 40 and 50 and so on, things get slower and we're unable to keep up with the world.

It also depends on how a person responds to adversity. Do they give up or groan about it or do they derive their motivation from it and use their anger to change the world? Maybe this is something that can be taught by exposing people to adversity. When we're young we're supposed to have some freedoms so that we can learn how to cope with things and then by the time we're adults we're better able to manage our stresses and make good choices. Something similar could be used for adults by similarly exposing them to adversity so they can adjust, albeit maybe more slowly than a child. Instead of logging into the internet, send them outdoors into the city. Instead of only talking to their friends, encourage them talk to strangers. Instead of only talking to people who have their religion, urge them talk to people who have a different one. Instead of sheltering from discomfort, compel them to seek it. Instead of staying in one city for 30 years, advise them to move around more.

On the other hand, not every change has to be a good one and not every young person is a good person. Change for change's sake is not welcome. While I think those who accept change tend to be more successful just like how risk takers tend to be more successful too, I also think that change isn't necessarily always for the good. So I don't want to give the wrong impression to others that I embrace change no matter what it's. I can't accept that every change in this world has to be good. Nor do I accept that changes which survive are always good changes. For example, what if humans became robots and survived better than we do now, but did not have emotions? That change would be unwanted by most of us alive today, but it's a potential change that could survive and yet be undesirable. Who're we to say evolution is always good? Evolution doesn't care what we think, it's not human.
edit on 27-9-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Every generation has its woes. What you list are the burdens we have in this age.

My problem with that statement is that this time in this era the US is responsible for the Major woes. We are the ones attacking and occupying the world.

Not the Germans, Russians, Japanese or the Dust in the Dust Bowl, but the American Corporate Military Industrial Complex. Right here, right now.

Ultimately this is not a total downer for me, I am not responsible for any of it so my conscience is clear. The problem I have in my heart is that my nations government is so far out of bounds when it comes to violations of International Law and other countries right to self determination. Thanks for the consolation but reminders of "thats the way it always has been" aren't doing it for me.

Its a bigger than me problem but if and until that Status Quo changes, I will try and expose the lies and bring the truth to light as I see it.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Here I have to interject an important,actually vital aspect pertaining to this darkness hanging over society: Swallow your Pride!

Nothing brings out the best in/of the human Spirit than being beseeched for help.It is sometimes the moment would-be murderers realise they have a Higher option-to bestow life instead of death.$

Folks are too prideful in general-and it will be the downfall of your species,in the long run.It stops y'all seeing what is right on front of your eyes.A sad,sad thing to witness.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Battleline

Hmm, maybe that would explain why in most video games we're killing something or how in sports we try to "win" rather to cooperate together and win as one. A predator species?

It's fun to win for myself or is it funner to win as one? By nature, I think I'm competitive, but I wonder if competitiveness can counter cooperation and lead to bad results?

There's also the aspect of how people gang together as a nation. I can't recall the hormone, but there's a chemical in our brain that makes us bond to each other and be aggressive towards people outside our group. So while we seek to win as a nation, we don't seek to win as a collection of nations. The competitiveness is still there, but it's nation-wide.

Here's the link:
www.sciencedaily.com - Neurobiological Cause of Intergroup Conflict: 'Bonding Hormone' Drives Aggression Towards Competing Out-Groups...
edit on 27-9-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

ChuckNasty

The main difference between then and now, is our ability to upload, stat, survey, and post changes with much ease.

Back then you either wrote a book or did a news article.

I agree, stuff really hasn't changed much other than our ability to put it in perspective with a click.

As for the darkness - sure we all can agree that it exists. It seems to have existed for quite some time...

Maybe this internet stuff will help us all better ourselves and move out of the darkness.

On many levels our resources for research and get quickly clued up about issues is bound to bring about changes in behaviour. It has its negatives and positives like anything, I guess.

I still have to blink my eyes and I do relish the fact that I can just communicate with YOU here and now in conversation in public over issues like this so quickly. Words are not everything, but the sharing of thoughts, feelings and sentiments Internationally is a wondrous new phenomenon and we still have not anything like explored just how far this can go.

It is a miracle that I cherish that we can communicate on this level. I am maturing more and more and adjusting to this form of socializing. It is very important because it is bringing the world and cultures closer together. Down deep, no matter where we come from, we all have the same fears and concerns, rich or poor, black or white.

I act online these days as I do in reality. I treat people with kindness like they were in the room. That is because I know there is a real person just like me at the other end.

Those of us who do have a social conscience and want a kinder world should be proud that we have this altruism in our hearts.

I still see plenty of expressions on and off line that warm me. There are plenty of caring people here on ATS and I like to come here and read gentle and intelligent thoughts expressed in an environment of civility.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

intrptr

Every generation has its woes. What you list are the burdens we have in this age.

My problem with that statement is that this time in this era the US is responsible for the Major woes. We are the ones attacking and occupying the world.

Not the Germans, Russians, Japanese or the Dust in the Dust Bowl, but the American Corporate Military Industrial Complex. Right here, right now.

Ultimately this is not a total downer for me, I am not responsible for any of it so my conscience is clear. The problem I have in my heart is that my nations government is so far out of bounds when it comes to violations of International Law and other countries right to self determination. Thanks for the consolation but reminders of "thats the way it always has been" aren't doing it for me.

I know it is cold comfort to say it has always happened, but it is truthful.

It's great that you are so sensitive to this time and the current issues that affect us all.

The U.S has been pushed into its current position. If it was not the U.S it would be Russia or China doing it. Britain did it before, the Romans did it and all the other leading civilizations in history.

I think of all the good stuff that comes from the U.S. It is a leading state in all ways. There is so much good in U.S culture.

You know in a mad, bad world you sometimes have to fight fire with fire.

So don't be too hard on your culture and influence in this world. It could be a lot better, but it could be an awful lot worse.

Am I a fool for being optimistic? Who knows? I just try to keep feeling positive and encouraging goodness where I can.

Its a bigger than me problem but if and until that Status Quo changes, I will try and expose the lies and bring the truth to light as I see it.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I agree, but you are looking at the symptoms of a dysfunctional society where everyone is forced to look out for themself or perish. Political systems based on lies and/or bad judgement. If the elected officials continously mismanage everything, then this is what happens. People have no time, energy, compassion left.

Of course I dont expect everyone to agree about everything because we are not the same and everyone views problems and solutions differently, but there are still many common views of what is wrong and what needs fixing. The wars, the difficulty of getting a job and keeping it, the low pay, lack of ufo and alien disclosure, the twisting of historical facts, etc.

Getting depressed is just as natural as getting excited. Something triggers these emotions.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I just have to comment and say that you are not alone in feeling this way. I would also like to add that this is one of the most moving speeches I have ever heard, since the speech of Dr.Martin Luther King. More people in this world need this kind of decent speech administered to them in dark days such as these.Thank you OP for this.Have a great day hope and stay strong that we will all one day see this incredible dream realized. -Your Friend, Sir Galahad

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

People are far more mouthy these days with each other than I remember. I mean older folks with chips on their shoulders, lack of general respect for each other. Like a bunch of middle aged baby boomer punks trapped inside of grown peoples bodies. lol

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Zanti Misfit
I was Born in 1956. As a Child , the World back then was a Beautiful Place . It all seemed to Change around 1980 . I feel like I have Lived Two Lives , Then and Now . The World I Live in Now is Cold and with No Compassion amoung the People I interact with . Now I know why others like me Relish the PAST..........

Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher caused a lot of problems. They started the globalist machine that runs till this day. Nations are no longer self-reliant and relly on global trade for their survival. Some would say bankers but it has more to do with leveraged investment schemes and exploiting third world workforces.

exclusive video

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join