It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Observation on a "darkness" that seems to hang over society

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

I have noticed the same things. I can also tell when these changes occurred. In stages...

The first was right after 911.

Like something had broken. People suddenly realized the US was vulnerable and wondered or felt responsible for what the country had done to elicit such a violent attack from outside. They saw the targets and wondered about our international standing.

War unleashed on Afghanistan and Iraq (2nd time). On false pretenses. Was our government out of control?

The 2008 banking fiasco bailout that saw so many lose their financial security, jobs and homes. Do the corporate, banking and military own the countries elected representatives?

Change we couldn't believe in when Obama was elected on that mandate for change. Same same conditions and nation still pushing in the middle east.

Then reelection and Libya's demise.

Endless war and insurrection waged in Afghanistan with US aid to the guerrillas in Syria. No end in sight. The bully US throwing its weight around in the region seeming oblivious to calls in the UN and the world to cease violations of International law.

We have been at war now for over a decade. The mood is like what I remember in Vietnam at the end of that "conflict". Useless endless campaigns to over throw "communism", overwhelming force brought to bear on little countries that can hardly defend themselves against a major world power.

Drug and alcohol abuse rampant, schools and education neglected, jails overflowed, justice system overburdened, medical care costs, kids growing up with mindless pursuits and no hope of education, career or stability. Vets returning again and again from multiple deployments...

The government seemingly innocuous to the plight at home, the media backing the propaganda machine calling for more sanctions and more war in more countries abroad.

You want to know why americans are pissed off?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Talked with my son about this. He's 17 and travels on mass transit for almost 4 hours a day to get to his college. I asked him some questions about what he saw on the buses in his route which cuts through a small city (population of 90k) and enters into a suburbia bordering on rural lands. He said most people on the bus read a book, stare straight ahead or out the window, or maybe doze off in their seat. Even on a full bus, only a handful ever have any kind of tech out, usually 3 or 4. Most are just riding the bus and doing the former. I asked him if he ever saw people being rude or hostile and he said no and that just about every day, he sees somebody offer a mom with children their seat so the kids can sit. I asked him if he ever tried talking to people and he said no with a look of "you had to ask ME that question, Mom? Seriously?" Then I asked him if anybody ever talked to him and he said that sometimes, a more extroverted person would sit by him and strike up a conversation. He liked it and always found it nice and interesting.

I used to ride mass transit to and from the downtown area of which we live in the metropolis of (pop of 2.3 million). I'd done it for years up until I moved away for a while because it was the most convenient way to go to the zoo, the markets downtown or a sports game. I remember being on the light rail on the way back and we'd all be packed in like sardines but everyone would be jovial, making jokes, laughing and giving up seats. Friendly, nice. But when I started riding the same train back into downtown a few years ago, what I saw perturbed me. I saw what you guys talk about. People glued into their phones, laptops, ears plugged into MP3 players. Like my son, staring straight ahead and completely oblivious. These people didn't get up to offer their seat to a Mom with children. I was usually the one who did. I saw little old ladies standing, despite the jiggles and bumps of the train. A few times, people would offer a seat. Most just tuned it all out.

I talked with a woman in a burkha and her son on one train ride because a well dressed older woman across the way was giving her an intense death stare. I gave the lady a death stare back and had a nice time helping the woman ignore the hateful one. Another time, I was sexually harassed for the entire 45 minute ride by a guy who would not leave me alone. When I got up to get off at my stop for the first time hating the fact that it was near a small wilderness park, the woman who sat next to me saw him move to get off, too, and followed me off the train. Pretty sure she was my guardian angel that day. However, it was a bad enough experience that I stopped taking the train for 9 months. I didn't want to run into that guy again.

When I started up taking the train again, it wasn't any better. If anything, it was worse. I started looking at everybody, trying to make eye contact with anyone. I joke that I'm always wearing a lab coat and the world is my test subjects. I had to see if I could actually reach somebody, test to see how people work, what could make them tick. Finally, one early evening when the train car windows were all steamed up because we were packed in like sardines, I shot up out of my seat and made a huge smiley face on the window then plopped back down. My quick movement startled everybody around me but when they saw the big smiley, some started giggling and those who saw my mischievous grin and knew it was me outright laughed. The mood relaxed, people started talking and making jokes. It was great. I was quite pleased because in my little experiment, I got through to them. But that was two years ago.

My fiance is the one who takes the train now and then since I'm too sick to go. He says that people talk on those few trips that's he's had to take but we've had what I would call Merry Prankster activity here. Funny little signs and stickers on windows, ads and more. Clever things, too, that were clearly and specifically made for the train. I don't know if that's the difference but maybe it is. My smiley stunt broke through and worked as an ice breaker. So would those cute little prankster stickers like little humorous prizes for the observant.

I don't know though and maybe my fiance got lucky. Maybe my son's experience on his more suburban ride differed from mine to and from a busy city because of population differences. There's a lot of homeless downtown, stories of random violence cropping up in areas where it hadn't been before. Maybe by the time people leave work and go home on that train, they are so overloaded that they have to shut down. Maybe our cities are cages for Calhoun's rats. Makes me wish I could ride that train and see if it still is the way it was, worse or better, because I saw what you all do the last time I was on it.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

hknudzkknexnt
reply to post by Kumo77

I would be one of those asking for a cigarette haha.. But then I would try and engage you in some conversation

not a bum but i do "bum" cigarettes
edit on 26-9-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

I like your honesty.
The world could use more of this right now.

I had to give up store brand smokes and go RYO/MYO. Costs just got way too prohibitive and I was beginning to have a bad reaction to the FSC that they now put in the paper. Granted, it takes a little getting used to, but I now like them better than a Marlboro or Camel. The nice bonuses are that it is natural tobacco and FAR cheaper! Depending on what variety and quality of tobacco I am using, I can make a pack of smokes for between $0.90 and $1.50.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Dude you arent alone, many people feel as you do. The fact that you are here on ATS makes you a little different than most.
Most of my friends dont have a clue as to my conspiratorial side, because I know they wont understand.
They are all sheeple and have bought the whole entertainment, need money, watch tv, must buy new things
paradigm lock, stock and barrel.
I too know I am different, my 18 yr old daughter is also a little different. She is studying to be a social worker
wants to help people, which I think is good. However she is entering a world of pain and will need my support in years to come.
This world we live in is dominated by those who seek wealth and dont care how far they stoop to get it.
I agree that the 60's and 70's were far more carefree times and people in cities would say hello on the street.
If you say hello on the street today, the other person looks at you funny almost like you have attacked them in some way.
The world has got faster, nastier and too greed centric for my liking.
I wish we lived in simpler times.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I think you're right about people being overloaded with work and shutting down.
I have to drive 30 kms to and from work and the road rage is amazing. I am also prone to this, but try to stop myself when I give someone the finger after they have cut in front of me.
Seems to me that people dont relax until they get home from work, whether they ride public transport or drive a car.
Shutting out strangers and possible confrontation is I believe a coping mechanism. Just as road rage anger is a release.
We deal with too much stress in our working lives, all this to pay the bills the multinationals and banks send us.
We are no different than rats on a treadmill.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
4th Reich is Upon you!

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

I'm not trying to turn this into a political debate, and please don't flame me and call me a dirty liberal. Democrats today are where Republicans were prior to 1980.

In my opinion, it started when Ronald Reagan was elected in 1980. It ushered in the neo-con movement, which was born from William Buckley in 1960. 1980 was the beginning - when the greed started. The yuppie age. It also unleashed the idea of easy-to-get credit.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to get ahead, make money, and feel secure and accomplished. It's the people you stomp over to get there that's the problem. It's the homeless guy you ignore. It's the people in line at the store you are irritated with because someone is writing a check instead of using their debit/credit card. I'm just as guilty as the next guy.

A few years ago my wife (who is 10 years younger than me) asked me where this 'sense of entitlement' came from that seems to permeate our society today. She wasn't referring to the people who try to scam the system (welfare, unemployment, etc.), she was asking about the folks that stop at nothing, regardless of who is in their way, to get what they think is rightfully theirs. In other words, what drives this greed?

As a lot of you have already stated, it started about 30 years ago. Prior to that, most people had perspective. They knew they couldn't afford that BMW, so they didn't buy it. They didn't care that their neighbor put in a pool. Hell, the neighbor would invite them over for a pool party! When's the last time you were invited over to your neighbor's house to hang out & use the pool?

Modern communications have left this country polarized. Instant access to news and data has left too many people overwhelmed, and they rely on radio show hosts or the talking heads on the television to make up their minds for them.

As much as I enjoy the amenities of the modern world, i can't help but to wonder if life would be better (overall) if we led a more pastoral existence. The way this country is operating right now is just downright depressing. Our elected representatives are so completely out of touch with the common man that it's criminal. All they care about is going to that fundraiser, making sure their PAC's are ready to go for the next election, getting lies all set up. We will never see term limits.

And I certainly don't think it has to do with religions. They've been complaining for years that fewer and fewer people are attending, believing, donating. You know what? Pious people are some of the most intolerant and hypocritical individuals I've ever met. Granted, the average church tries to teach how to lead a moral, responsible and tolerant life. But when you have preachers diddling their altar boys left & right, what do they expect? As soon as their congregation walks out of their doors, it back to business as usual. Except they feel they've been forgiven for being such assholes to their fellow man.

Sigh. I hope I haven't offended anyone; that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm just as frustrated with the whole situation as everyone else, and every day my faith in humanity seems to dwindle.

- Synallaxis

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I have noticed this for many years. It started in certain areas. Almost like a darkness was over a certain area. The feeling of desolation, and just plain wrong.
I noticed it in the older parts of town, not that crime was increasing yet, but just the attitudes of people.

Then as the years have gone by, it has spread. It has now got to the point that feeling seems to be no matter where you go. It has become the new normal. It makes me very uncomfortable to be on this planet.
It feels like most have lost their humanity.

Remember the movie " The Neverending Story" , and how the Nothing was taking over Fantasia.

That is what this feels like. A dark blackness that is taking over the world. It is in the politics , the people,
you can see that dark soulless blank look in peoples eyes. I have seen that that look now in little babies.

Honestly I think Satans Angels have fallen back to the Earth.

There is no where to get away from it.

Watching facebook, it makes me ill, too see so many mean spirited posts you see about
putting down others, hating others, just real disgusting. People that you knew to be different ten years ago, that were nice giving people, you see loose that. People are loosing hope. People fall for propaganda, without having a mind to look at things for what they really are.

Drugs , killings , violence , have become so common, I feel I am in a world I do not recognize. Its like an alternative reality came about so fast it makes your head spin, and you wonder how did we get here?
Where is there to go from here?

This is has been bothering me for the last 12 years, and it will not leave my mind. I no longer feel comfortable anywhere. Everything is corrupted.

Yeah, as the previous poster said, you try to be nice, do the rite thing, and you become a target.
You are not the bad guy. I my spirit could just jump this body. I hate being in such a dark environment.
Its how a fish must feel in a tank that is overgrown with algea , fish poop , and not cleaned in a long time swimming in its own waste.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

This is where I go out of my way to engage with people when I'm out in public-i have an extrovert personality although I do by choice live a rather isolated life.When I do go into the town on occasion to take photo's or just to the store-i smile at folks ,strike up chats+conversations,joke,wave at locals I know from sight,engage with complete strangers,etc.In a country where race is still an issue because of the Apartheid system we used to have,black people are for the most part pleasantly surprised when I approach them or smile+start a chat.Especially the guys-in my country most white women would Never strike up a conversation with a black man they don't know,or work with-i think its because I do not subconsciously project fear,suspicion,mistrust or expect rudeness-i just like to smile at all people,and have a brief chat with a stranger,of any gender,race,religion-people interest me.I don't like to spend every single day around people,but when I encounter them,I enjoy reaching out and connecting.In my country,there is so much potential for goodwill+better race relations-but preconceived notions,mistrust,etc from both races hamper this,so sad and unnecessary.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   

For that We should blame modern technology.
IPhones,smart phones,facebook....
They have made people less sociable and more closed.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   

I think there was no humanity to be lost and that society is better now. At least no matter who you are you can find groups online with similar intersts.

I would rather walk away from society than have it shun me for by beliefs.

Remember those asylums.
Remember giving away your lovechild.
Remember being burnt at the statke.
Remember family disowning you if the nieghbors did.

I do and it's not for me.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Opps, double posts.
edit on 2792013 by Tsu322 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

Yes it does seem like we have entered a different timeline/dark alternate reality.But it just seems that way-people just seem to choose selfishness+meanspiritedness over kindness+a more generous considerate way of dealing with others.People seem to mistrust each other more-and expect the worst from others.A kind of "do unto others before they do unto you" attitude-and the negative form of that,the positive being "Do well unto others before they even treat you well".
This is my opinion:That deep down all this bad has one point of origin,on a subconscious level-FEAR.Fear and distrust of other people,of the world we live in.
Looking at the news from around the world,whether local or global-it is painfully apparent that the bad gets practically all the "airtime" while everyday millions+millions small random acts of kindness+goodwill get ignored-always showing the rape+the rapist but never the rescue+rescuer,to put it simple.
There seems to be an active agenda to turn people against trusting each other,and focusing on the bad,the dangerous,the petty,the negative.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Every Generation thinks the same thing.

As an old lady once told me:

"As you grow older, you start to see the flaws outbalancing the perfections in everything."

We cannot go on viewing the world as we did when we were younger.

Just the same - the kids now will say the same thing when they grow old. They'll compare the time now as a better time.

But it doesn't make it right. When each generation shifts the base-line of what is normal, it will lead to F'd up times.
edit on 27-9-2013 by ChuckNasty because: odd error

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! Timothy 3:3-5

I'd say were pretty much there.

Soon.

twbd

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

What good old days?

Do you mean during world war 1, world war 2, Vietnam?

Do you mean living in a society where serial child abusers and rapists went unchecked and could be media personalities?

Do you mean those times where child abuser priests went around deceiving the whole of the Catholic congregation?

Do you mean the times when people were so unquestioning of the authorities that they allowed all these things to happen?

The good old days are an illusion. What we really mean is a time when we were young and idealistic.

One poster said it happened for them in 1980 when they felt the world change. For me it was 1997. That is when I lost my idealistic virginity and realised that the world is a dark place and always has been.

At least many of us now do not have to go hungry and young men don't have to sleep in a row on ropes. At least now bullying is tackled to some degree and is frowned upon. At least nowadays we don't just sacrifice our young men without questioning why.

There are many positives! We just have to look for them. Yes, in the west we have lost our values because we all used to be Christians. That made us a certain kind of society. We have not replaced our values with anything and so there is a huge hole there.

Personally, I have kept Christianity and so I do not have a big hole in my soul. I always smile at people and try to be kind. I would NEVER pass a person by who needed my help. I never carry a phone with me outside and never listen on my head phones. Even though every day I get stung for being kind and looked down upon I just keep on trying and never give in.

Man, I came to ATS over two years ago. I would love to have met an American pen friend here to build up a friendship. I have not met one on going friend here. So don't anybody tell me that the people on ATS are any different to the rest of society.

It is up to us to change things if we don't like the way things are. We all do have at least some power in that respect. If you are missing a kind world then get out there and be kind! It will hurt you every day because you will see how ignorant people can be. Yet you will also be trying to make things better and this kind of behaviour will rub off on others.

It is just the same old business. We grow up and lose our illusions and see the world for what it is.

It's easy...just be a GOOD SAMARITAN like Christ told us to be and we will instantly have a society that is kind.

edit on 27-9-2013 by Revolution9 because: spelling.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   

nimbinned
Things may appear dire, but global consciousness is shifting and evolving quickly right now, so don't worry too much about it. We won't be continuing down this path much longer.

Concentrate on cultivating love for self and others. That's all you need to do. The rest will fall in to place.

Blessings *

I do believe you are right!

It is all down to our perception as individuals.

If we keep thinking about money all the time we are going to feel very down indeed, because "Money is the root of all evil" and most of us, yes MOST of us, will never have very much of it. So why keep thinking about something that you will never have?

People are a lot more conscious these days, generally. We just have to keep on building a better society and that starts with us as individuals. It is the small things that change the world. Little acts of kindness, good feeling, generosity and HAVING TIME for others. I notice a lot that people don't have TIME. Even in my family they all far too busy to have TIME to visit me. They are too busy chasing the buck so they can have the material goodies.

I got lots of time. I'm never too busy for people. People are what it is all about.

I got a good feeling that EGALITERIAN society I so much crave is gonna come off one of these days.

Blessings right back at you!

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Simply put - garbage in, garbage out.

People will undoubtedly rail against this concept but it's quite apparent that what is portrayed on television, movies and computers ultimately manifests in society. These things both introduce and normalize behaviors which were previously thought to be anti-social or taboo...which in turn degrades our culture and we slide into a decaying, barbaric Dystopia, in desperate need of, wait for it......the Police State.

Silent Weapons, Quiet Wars.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

intrptr

I have noticed the same things. I can also tell when these changes occurred. In stages...

The first was right after 911.

Like something had broken. People suddenly realized the US was vulnerable and wondered or felt responsible for what the country had done to elicit such a violent attack from outside. They saw the targets and wondered about our international standing.

War unleashed on Afghanistan and Iraq (2nd time). On false pretenses. Was our government out of control?

The 2008 banking fiasco bailout that saw so many lose their financial security, jobs and homes. Do the corporate, banking and military own the countries elected representatives?

Change we couldn't believe in when Obama was elected on that mandate for change. Same same conditions and nation still pushing in the middle east.

Then reelection and Libya's demise.

Endless war and insurrection waged in Afghanistan with US aid to the guerrillas in Syria. No end in sight. The bully US throwing its weight around in the region seeming oblivious to calls in the UN and the world to cease violations of International law.

We have been at war now for over a decade. The mood is like what I remember in Vietnam at the end of that "conflict". Useless endless campaigns to over throw "communism", overwhelming force brought to bear on little countries that can hardly defend themselves against a major world power.

Drug and alcohol abuse rampant, schools and education neglected, jails overflowed, justice system overburdened, medical care costs, kids growing up with mindless pursuits and no hope of education, career or stability. Vets returning again and again from multiple deployments...

The government seemingly innocuous to the plight at home, the media backing the propaganda machine calling for more sanctions and more war in more countries abroad.

You want to know why americans are pissed off?

Yes, all these things make us miserable and add to the state of hopelessness, but all of what you state has happened in EVERY GENERATION. It is business as usual. In the beginning of 1940 it was Pearl Harbour! Remember The Great Depression? Remember the DUST BOWL plague that ruined so many lives?

Every generation has its woes. What you list are the burdens we have in this age.

We have to be strong and keep on going. We must keep our heads held high and not allow for our values and ideals to be trampled down!

If we only have eyes for all the negative things that happen then that is all we will see. Keep looking for what is good. It is still there.

Revenge and vengeful acts will only hold us in a state of perpetuated sorrow. Forgiveness heals wounds.

Lol, just think of it like "Groundhog Day"! We will keep having to live the same pattern until we recognise the mistakes and then we can pass through onto the next level

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Revolution9

Just one more thing to add!

A few years ago I asked my doctor why there is so much mental illness, drug and alcohol abuse, etc prevalent in society.

His reply was that there is no change in that. He told me about all the gin abuse, particularly among women ("Mother's Ruin") in the 19th century. It was a social epidemic at that time.

I have done a lot of research into mental illness in history. It has always been with us. Even in Christ's time there were many mentally ill people (the ones who had demons, etc).

I honestly think that there is nothing new under the sun here. It is just business as usual and in certain respects we have actually made huge leaps forwards.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join