It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Word Lens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
If you ever find yourself visiting a foreign country and your clueless on the language, then look no further!!

imagine, "no longer will you wonder what the heck does that say?"

or you know… just take the time to learn another language.

www.policymic.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
At first I was like "Baloney.." but then looked.. so it appears legit.

then I read

The application is free on Apple's iTunes, but an in-app purchase in necessary to enable translation capabilities

and I cried tears of laughter.

Well, it is a step in a good direction. I can't berate the concept. I don't see how it will work in every situation, thus be relatively subjected to failure at many points of interest, but that would be overcome with time and improved technology, and a change in attitudes to facillitate the technology if it becomes more utilised.

There was a time when I thought a url would never be popular. Then I saw one on a building. Now cyborgs are everywhere and your machinations are developing the new world...

scary times, scary brilliant times...
edit on 26-9-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
It would not be a bad idea except everyone would have to hold up sign's

Or at least have a tee shirt saying I'm new here, Please Help!

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I can see it incorporated into cars, so for instance a rental car business could kick it up with translating road signs

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

So basically you have to buy something or else the program is just taking up space on your phone. Leave it to Apple to pull a merchandising stunt like this.

"Hey, I got an idea! People who travel around the world need a translator, so let's give them one for free! Only, let's make it useless until they buy something else! It's like getting two for one! Great idea, right?"

Yeah, Apple. Absolutely wonderful. It's not like no one's going to reverse engineer your software and put an analog version on the market for absolutely free...and I do mean free.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

So basically you have to buy something or else the program is just taking up space on your phone. Leave it to Apple to pull a merchandising stunt like this.

Apple doesn't make those decisions. In-app purchases like the one this app has are put in place by the 3rd party software developers.

Apple doesn't have very many of it's own apps. 95%+ (probably more like 99%) of the apps are produced by a third party.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

So the actual app market is not owned or managed by Apple?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Yes, but Apple doesn't program these apps. The computer programmers for whatever company made this app decided to hide the fact it won't work unless you pay for it after downloading it. Apple had nothing to do with that decision.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Yes, but Apple doesn't program these apps. The computer programmers for whatever company made this app decided to hide the fact it won't work unless you pay for it after downloading it. Apple had nothing to do with that decision.

apart from approving the policy of allowing a free app, that requires an in-app purchase to op0erate.

They, like google, can refuse apps that are not in compliance with their ethos.

They show their mind set by allowing it, even if they did not program it.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

hknudzkknexnt

I can see it incorporated into cars, so for instance a rental car business could kick it up with translating road signs

Would it just be better to hire a taxi cab driver for a day? Knows all the good place to go, places where you could fit in just for a day or two.

Or at least let you know where NOT to go.

new topics

top topics

join