It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chemical Plant Explosion Rocks West Thurrock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Fire crews have been sent to a chemical explosion at a chlorine scrubbing plant in west Thurrock, Essex.

Local residents have been urged to stay indoors and keep their doors and windows closed as a strong smell of chlorine has been reported.

Chemical Plant Explosion Rocks West Thurrock

Just saw this on sky news, still breaking so i will post more information as it becomes available.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Wow I just see this too and I'm only 20 minute drive a way. I wonder what plant it is my dad works in west Thurrock for proctor and gamble

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

Did you hear it apparently it was shaking houses form what i have read

hope your dad is ok

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Thankfully he is on his way to Wales tonight if it was last night then he would of been working .. Thanks for asking though

Edit: no I didn't feel anything I'm at friends .. Music and gta
edit on 26-9-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Just read an update it doesn't seen to be as bad as it seems the fire brigade have said there is no risk to the public from poisonous gases

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

well be sure to update us if you hear any more news about this incident

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I get a local paper delivered that covers that area and im sure it will be on the front page of it tomorrow glad no one has been killed just one injured

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Wow Im only 20 minutes away in Kent! Surprised I didnt hear the bang! Im surprised to the power didnt go out as there is so many electric sub stations and pylon connection round there!

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Imagine that...another chemical plant explosion. Nothing to see here folks, these happen all the time. There's better news coverage and we have the internet now, so we know of these things. LOL.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Here's our local newspapers report on it
www.echo-news.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   

I live in Essex, and can recall no large noises of any kind that seemed out of the ordinary. Mind you, I also live five minutes drive from a military testing range, so something is usually exploding within earshot for me. I hope the injured party makes a full recovery, and that the site is properly checked over.

The problem with sites like these, is that there are likely to be several storage units, containing volatile chemicals and solutions, and when an explosion occurs, there is a risk that any micro-fractures in other tanks and storage mediums, may have been expanded by the detonation. Checking these containers PROPERLY is a laborious task, which is rarely done to an adequate level due to cost, and the fact that the site should be shut down until such a procedure has been enacted.

This should, to be absolutely sure that no fissures are present in other storage mediums, pipes, and transit infrastructure, take at least a month for a fair sized installation.

No doubt, to save on shut down time and associated costs, a cursory glance, similar to the kicking of a tyre to test the stability of a motor car, will be given to the other tanks and containers on the site, but I really hope that nothing further comes of it. I believe cost issues are the main reason that plants which have explosions, often have other incidents and accidents later on. It is simply too expensive to properly assess the structural integrity of a sites storage infrastructure to an appropriate degree.

We should keep an eye on this plant from here on out, because I would lay money that the next balls up, catastrophe, or accident on site will be relatable to this incident.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I think I know roughly where you are, there's another member on here close to the MoD range that I believe you are referring to. Essex here too, nice to see fellow Essex people on here

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Awesome! Local nutters!

I don't care who knows it, I live in Shoeburyness. If members are ever down that way, they should bear in mind that the metal head that works in the locksmith shop down there likes ale, and they should feel free to drop by and say hi, and/or go for a pint!

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

If we are spilling the beans .. I'm in Basildon work in the local area Basildon / pitsea. If you end up shop lifting our paths may cross

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I'm in Chelmsford. We should organise an ATS Essex on tour (pub crawl)

I do wonder whether this explosion will be claimed by some-one and used to pursue some agenda though.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Scorchio

Haha .. Yeah tour/ pub crawl I'll go with that. Hmm I think this was just merely an accident west Thurrock is full of factories and metal yards I'm going with this just being a isolated incident. It disappeared from my sky news app pretty quickly

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Haha! Well, more on the subject of getting boozed and bruised in a dedicated thread on the subject perhaps, if people are "down" with that plan!

Meantime however, what's to be done about this plant? Was any property actually damaged by the blast as far as we know?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I'm just pleased there are others near me there's one guy on here who is in benfleet. I no longer feel lonely lol

To be truthful I'm not sure of the damage caused I'm waiting for my local echo paper to be delivered they might have more info in it.

new topics

top topics

join