It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah coach suspends his entire team over poor discipline, cyberbullying

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Players showed up at school the following day — a Saturday — at 7 a.m. and were told how they could re-earn a spot on the team. Teenagers have been cleaning up area streets as part of new team-mandated community service work. They are attending character classes during hours when they previously would have been practicing.

Utah coach suspends his entire team over poor discipline, cyberbullying

This is a refreshing story to me. This coach suspended his entire team based on character and discipline issues, including poor grades, disrespecting teachers, and bullying. He is receiving national support.

I think it's awesome. The straightening out of punk youth just warms my heart.

Here are a few other links:
U nion High coaches overwhelmed by national support for suspensions
Utah High School Football Coach Suspends Entire Team Amid Reports Of Cyberbullying

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

Good for him though, I wasn't under the impression that Utah was a hotbed of abusive behavior.

While I think it is embarrassing that such appropriate measures are now considered unusual and dramatic, it is similarly shocking to think what might happen if a coach in the inner city did such a thing. He would be called everything from tyrannical to racist without a doubt.

Oh, the humanity.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I am glad to hear this actually. I recall my high school days and I played football also. Our coach(es) were actively involved in the athlete's school lives, both on and off the field, and reminded us about not only being better people, but examples for others as well. The coaches utilized fear and consequences as a deterrent from bad behavior. They also inspired us about some of the positive aspects of pride. My coach made a difference in my high school life, steering me on the straight and narrow. It seems we don't hear enough about coaches influence off the field as much these days and many of them probably feel restricted as to what they can do in a situation, with such sensitive parents, kids and a system. Coaches can make a difference in many kid's lives and serve as another role model along with parents and teachers to influence our development. A coach has a way that can really get through to kids, and I applaud this coach's action. Our kids need all the help they can get because society is rotting and passive kids may be sucked up into the contemporary novelty of adolescence which includes bullying, both physical and cyber, disrespect for one's self as well as others, back talking and behavioral issues. Too many unfit parents these days, so I say utilize all the help available.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The problem is, there isn't any direct evidence that the bullying or the cars being broken into in the school parking lot were the result of one of the football team members.

Yes, some of the team members have been disrespectful to teachers, skipping and failing classes, but that doesn't directly link them to this bullying incident.

I don't think this is fair to the good kids on the team. Usually in these situations it all boils down to one or two kids. The kids on the team need to police themselves. They should give up the names of anyone involved in these alleged incidents, or sacrifice someone for the greater good.That is what it means to be on a team.
edit on 26-9-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

They should give up the names of anyone involved in these alleged incidents, or sacrifice someone for the greater good.That is what it means to be on a team.

How about the team convince those at fault give their self up and own their actions. That sounds like the right way.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
The problem is, there isn't any direct evidence that the bullying or the cars being broken into in the school parking lot were the result of one of the football team members.

Practicing for collectivism. Don't punish one, punish the collective. Basic predictive programming.

(Unless they're all footpads and cutpurses, or bounders in which case good for him).

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

MystikMushroom

Yes, some of the team members have been disrespectful to teachers, skipping and failing classes, but that doesn't directly link them to this bullying incident.

I don't think this is fair to the good kids on the team. Usually in these situations it all boils down to one or two kids. The kids on the team need to police themselves. They should give up the names of anyone involved in these alleged incidents, or sacrifice someone for the greater good.That is what it means to be on a team.
edit on 26-9-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

Meh, I think its a good lesson in life isn't fair, to often kids are coddled and taught fairness abounds. Only to hit the real world with a rude awakening.

It also teaches that sometimes in life you get punished through no fault of your own, and sometimes merely by association.

Its a good taste of the real world.

ETA: Its a lesson teenage boys are especially in need of.
edit on 26-9-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I agree with your edit 100%.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Huh, I wonder if Coach Matt realizes the can of worms he has opened. His past had better be squeaky clean because you can bet that someone is looking into his past records and performance on and off the field.

Coach better hope he is in the good graces of the Superintendent and the school board or he could very well find himself out of a job and faced with a law suit. Punishing innocents for the indiscretions of a few is frowned upon by many parents who just might have some pull with the school board or some mad dog lawyer trying to add another notch to his belt of conquests.

edit on 26-9-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Maybe it the bullying in school that are the root cause of all your school shootings?

new topics

top topics

join