It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible's Buried Secrets (Documentary) Up to date Archaeoligical Discoveries in Israel.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

This documentary "The Bible's Buried Secrets" is a very well researched archaeological documentary and provides details of many recent finds and their relationship to Old Testament Scripture.

Particularly it discusses the origins of Israel; from Abraham and Moses to The Kingdoms of David and Solomon.

Many thread posters and commentators here on ATS have written untruths and have ignored all the recent archaeological discoveries in Israel that reveal Israel was certainly in existence at the times the Bible states.

As a believer in both Judaism and Christianity I can certainly recommend this documentary as a great up to date commentary of Bible Archaeology.

I do not agree with all the conclusions drawn in this documentary, but it presents all the recent finds from archaeological digs in Israel.

I have posted this documentary to help inform fellow Christians, Jews and Muslims on what has been found to date.

I accept that Egypt, Canaan , Sumer and northern Saudi Arabia (Midian) have all been an influence in the origins of Israel.

I accept that El of Sumer is the origin of YHWH.

I accept that until after the Babylonian captivity the Israelites were struggling with monotheism and often turned to the worship of other gods and goddesses (polytheism), of which Asherah was certainly one very common one.

All this is clearly stated in the Bible text if one chooses to look hard enough.

What archaeology needs to understand is that the Law of Moses, in its ideals, would mean that there would exist no relics of YHWH as such. Of course we are told never to make an idol of YHVH.

I would use this simple example; if an archaeologist in one thousand years time were to dig at my house and my sister's house they would draw very different conclusions.

In my house there are no pictures, no religious icons and no visual art. There are no fabrics with animal prints or ornaments of any kind. This stems from my belief that idols and such like should not be encouraged.

Were they to excavate my sister's house they would find all these things and would be able to assume certain things about my sister's spiritual beliefs. They would find none from me because all I have is one book written on paper (paper does not last very long except under certain ideal conditions of not being exposed to light or moisture (like the Dead Sea Scrolls)).

Yet we both live at the same time in the same culture and are very different in our spiritual practises.

What this documentary presents is very concrete, primary archaeological evidence that shows that the Israelites have been here as long as the Bible says they have and that the Bible evolves in the cultures it clearly STATES were its origins.

I would like to discuss this documentary further and hope that some of you will watch this documentary. It features analysis from all the best scholars, not just run of the mill commentators who all too often get their facts wrong and are not clued up about these recent archaeological discoveries.

Thanks for your time and YHWH Bless!

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Here's the video since yours isn't working:

I will download and watch the video when I have some free time.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

_BoneZ_
Here's the video since yours isn't working:

I will download and watch the video when I have some free time.

Thanks big time Bonez! I cannot get this video to work posting from UK. That is very kind of you!

This documentary is a quick way of getting up to date on the latest discoveries. It is the most inclusive I have seen to date with all the info in one place. A great place to begin exploring this subject!

The lovely Stockard Channing (of Grease fame) recites the Bible verse and many of the best modern scholars comment here.
edit on 26-9-2013 by Revolution9 because: spelling.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Nevermind.
edit on 26-9-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
If you cannot mention God's name in a relational way I question how well you know him. I the NT even his closest went from disciples, to friends to sons.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution9

Many thread posters and commentators here on ATS have written untruths and have ignored all the recent archaeological discoveries in Israel that reveal Israel was certainly in existence at the times the Bible states.

No it does not prove Israel was in existence in ancient times Israel became a reality in 1947. If you look at a map of the time there was no place called Israel.

And these discoveries only prove that places existed it does not prove that the stories about people creating miracles are true. The bible is true when saying a city was here or there.
edit on 26-9-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

MadMax9
If you cannot mention God's name in a relational way I question how well you know him. I the NT even his closest went from disciples, to friends to sons.

Some faiths think it is a sin to erase the word God. They won't type it because they may have to delete the word.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Some faiths think it is a sin to erase the word God. They won't type it because they may have to delete the word.

They'd probably cry at the stories I could tell them.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Here u go,, hope this helps,,
in response too,,,

en.wikipedia.org...

its pretty big

they found a name of a Tribe that was Conquered and who's Seed they Cut off,, that name was,,,

see it

here this might be better,,

three guess,,

for those interested,,

belonged too this guy
en.wikipedia.org...

was a floppy disk of his conquests
5 inch,,

ohh here,,

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
You say that Israel wasn't allowed to make an idol of Yahweh because it was against his law, yet Christianity has made an idol out of Jesus on the cross. Go to any church in America and you'll find a cross with Jesus hanging on it, usually in a place where the whole congregation can clearly see it.

Also, would you mind giving a summary of the documentary and the points it covers? I don't have time to watch an entire documentary.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Great post, small minds often refuse to acknowledge the truths of the bible , choosing instead to focus on ridicule and hatred , this sociopathic flavor sours both the religious and non religious alike . People act as though they are the Foremost authority on God , history , and philosophy,,, yet they know only how to regurgitate bias, instead of investigate,,, objectively . And for those know truth when they see it , welcome to the Game. Stay strong , fools will destroy the good and bad if allowed..

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by buster2010

They'd probably cry at the stories I could tell them.

How do you erase a spoken word?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I wanted to simply reply instead of posting a long quote. I have studied ancient religions for a long time. People should invest time in Comparative Religions objectively because that's how you learn. So many people study them because they have a slanted view against Christianity first, then Islam, then Judaism, but it's Christianity that gets picked on first. So yes, even atheists and agnostics are taking a subjective view before they even research anything, because they are trying to find errors.

I have come to the conclusion that all ancient people at one time worshiped the same God in the beginning and took with them the stories of creation and the flood with them when they migrated across the planet. I accept also that El was from Canaan and that Yaweh was mentioned in the Ugarit texts. That is without doubt.

Even the ancient Turkic peoples, what we called Anatolia at one time, what the Bible mentions at Hittites, was Hurrian and they worshiped the Sky God Tengri. For a long time people did not accept the Hittites were real until it was discovered by archeologist. If we were to dismiss any archeological evidence because it was in the ancient world, then Heinrich Schliemann didn't really discover Troy because that was just the stuff of legend. But he did and people accept that.

The funny thing about the ancient Hebrews is that they recorded their history in writing on papyrus or skins of animals, they didn't write their history on stone columns or steles, like others did. And because they didn't, it was easy to pass over. I want to know what qualifies something as legitimate because it is on a stele? How do we know those Egyptians weren't just writing epic stories of their pharaohs? How do we know it wasn't some monolithic comic series? But we have been taught to accept their history as it was real.

We have to ask then, why is the history of Israel so passed over, when their history is written on paper? Right now, American history is written on paper and three thousand years from now, what will they say about Americans? Will they even read the paper or just look at the statues of George Washington and others? Will they derive some other meaning from those statues if they don't read what is written?

The story of creation is very old and very consistent across the ancient world. The Rig Vedas mention it and the monotheism of Brahman. Even the Ugaritic text follows the same story, with just a few embellished elements.

I believe Joseph was Imhotep. What we know about Joseph was written by the Hebrews, but we don't have an Egyptian source that calls him Zaphthathanea. But we know what he did from the Hebrew text, and it is exactly what Imhotep did. So why are people so dismissive about the Hebrew Bible? Because it mentions one God and the laws created by that God and a God who entered into a covenant relationship with His people.

That is what sets the Hebrew Bible apart from any religious text. It was so unique in that it not only gives character to God, but that God interact with people on an individual level. There is no other religious text that presents that, what most ancient religions were concerned about was the fighting between the gods, the sexual relationships of the gods, the gods who never interacted with humanity as a whole or individuals. The closest one comes is the Avestas of Zoroaster.

The Behustan Inscription gives the same story found in Daniel about Belshazzar losing the kingdom and describes it with the same people and what happened.

It was not that Palestine existed before the Romans, Hadrian was responsible for that. Before, it was called Samaria, and well-known to be the descendents of those who remained after the Babylonian captivity and the local Canaanites.

In fact, the Bible mentions specifically where the Hebrews came from. They were not called Israelites before Abraham, but after Moses. When considering the 12 tribes, the mothers were from Syria after Jacob ran away to it. Lot's daughters gave birth to Moab and Ammon, Ruth was from Moab also. Ezekiel says that the nativity of Jerusalem was Hittite and Canaanite.

But the people became Israel and settled there after Moses. And it is only this group of people who entered into a covenant with Yaweh but you won't find steles, because that's not how they did things, they chose to write their history on sheep skin. Can we fault them for that? No, certainly not. But the neighboring countries wrote about Israel, because that's what they did.

So, little archeological evidence does not disprove Israel, it merely proves the Bible more correct when each year archeologist find new things. But until someone proves to me outside of what was written by the Greeks, I am not obliged to accept Troy was found, Heinrich Schliemann only found a city. There was nothing written on the city gates or even a signpost that said "Welcome to Troy". He only went on what Homer wrote in the Iliad. So let me ask this..if we know the Iliad was just an epic story, why believe it carries any more weight than the Bible?

Skeptics, answer that one. Why do you embrace the epic story of the Iliad, which was just a story, but dismiss the Bible's place in history?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

I'm re-asking you this question, from another thread, that you haven't answered yet.

I don't know what you think that this Stele proves. According to it, Israel was wiped out by 1200 BC. So, if there was an Abraham, his descendants, as the Israel cited, were obliterated. So, where did the following Jews come from?

Where is the Biblical history of their destruction or capture by this Egyptian Pharaoh in 1200BC?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Cut off doesn't mean destroyed or obliterated. And we know that pharaohs were not always mentioned by name in the Bible, except for Necho and Shishak.

The Merneptah Stele, is from Pharaoh Merneptah, 13th son of Rameses II. This battle is mentioned in the Bible, but here is what the Merneptah Stele says...

The princes are prostrate, saying, "Peace!" Not one is raising his head among the Nine Bows. Now that Tehenu (Libya) has come to ruin, Hatti is pacified; The Canaan has been plundered into every sort of woe: Ashkelon has been overcome; Gezer has been captured; Yano'am is made non-existent. Israel is laid waste and his seed is not; Hurru is become a widow because of Egypt.

Here is the Bible verse that corresponds..

1 Kings 9:16 For Pharaoh king of Egypt had gone up, and taken Gezer, and burnt it with fire, and slain the Canaanites that dwelt in the city, and given it for a present unto his daughter, Solomon's wife.

The Merneptah Stele is not about one single victory, but victories from campaigns. The Israel that it is referring to was King Saul.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

windword

I'm re-asking you this question, from another thread, that you haven't answered yet.

I don't know what you think that this Stele proves. According to it, Israel was wiped out by 1200 BC. So, if there was an Abraham, his descendants, as the Israel cited, were obliterated. So, where did the following Jews come from?

Where is the Biblical history of their destruction or capture by this Egyptian Pharaoh in 1200BC?

ohh here,,

and again i re answer.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

windword

"I don't know what you think that this Stele proves."

What i think is irrelivent too the facts presented by the Stele.

(read all of the translation,,yes verifiable Historic Facts,, it aint only Isreal on there.)

"According to it, Israel was wiped out by 1200 BC"

big Opps on there part,, well u know how propaganda at home sells

" So, if there was an Abraham, his descendants, as the Israel cited, were obliterated. "

i assume u meant "So, if there was an Abraham, his descendants, as the Stele cited, were obliterated"

seems u have Israel on your mind.

"So, where did the following Jews come from? "

sit down with one, boy have they got a story for u ! and by following i think u mean Present Day.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   

yes verifiable Historic Facts

There is no such thing as a verifiable historic fact.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

leostokes

yes verifiable Historic Facts

There is no such thing as a verifiable historic fact.

You mean that George Washington crossing the Delaware on Christmas night to attack the Hessians could not be a verifiable historic fact?

You mean that Jamestown, Virginia being settle by the British could not a verifiable historic fact?

You mean that the Spanish Armada being beaten by a storm could not be a verifiable historic fact?

You mean that Attila the Hun sweeping across Eastern Europe could not be a verifiable historic fact?

You mean that Caligula's hedonism could not be a verifiable historic act?

Or do you simply mean that when it comes to Biblical history, that all other history is verifiable except that?

Is the Oracle at Delphi verifiable historical fact?

Wait, people believe the Oracle at Delphi was real, but there could never be any prophet from Israel, namely Samuel?

And Helen of Troy, you know she had to not be real....but Helen of Troy is now accepted as real.

I think people need to stop cherry picking historical facts and believing only what they want to believe. The Bible is real in its history.
edit on 9/27/2013 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

buster2010

No it does not prove Israel was in existence in ancient times Israel became a reality in 1947. If you look at a map of the time there was no place called Israel.

And these discoveries only prove that places existed it does not prove that the stories about people creating miracles are true. The bible is true when saying a city was here or there.
edit on 26-9-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

Well I never said "Israel" did I. I said "Israelites" did I not?

If you watch the whole of the documentary you will see that the Hebrews have been in that land for an awful long time. That is all I was hoping to validate.

In fact, the Kingdoms were separated into Judah and Israel, the southern and the northern kingdoms.

What cannot be disputed is that the Hebrews were in that land and we have archaeological primary source evidence to back that up.

Let's argue about that shall we and not over something that I NEVER SAID! Look closely at my words. I choose them carefully, amigo!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join