It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the Press: Liberals Hate Jesus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Sitting around in my pajamas eating Braided Twist pretzels this morning, I decided to watch some Meet the Press. What I saw shocked me. Mr. Russert began to read a letter written to Mr. Bush by Dr. Bob JOnes, the President of Bob Jones University. The letter read as follows:

"Dear Mr. President, in your re-election, God has graciously granted America--though she doesn't deserve it--a reprieve from the agenda of paganism. You have been given a mandate. ... Don't equivocate. Put your agenda on the front burner and let it boil. You owe the liberals nothing. They despise you because they despise your Christ. ... If you have weaklings around you who do not share your biblical values, shed yourself of them."

I'm going to hold back my ranting until I get some responses, but let's think about this hot topic for a moment. What if the letter read something like this:

A Scat Hypothetical- Not to Be Taken as True
"Dear Mr. President, in your re-election, God has graciously granted America--though she doesn't deserve it--a reprieve from the agenda of the dark-skinned man. You have been given a mandate. ... Don't equivocate. Put your agenda on the front burner and let it boil. You owe the negroes nothing. They despise you because they despise your white superiority. ... If you have blacks or ungracious whites around you who do not share your God given race, shed yourself of them."

I don't know one person who would admit to supporing that. And now I ask you- is it any different? What makes religious supremacy any less disgusting, any less ignorant, or any less hate filled than the most supreme form of racism imaginable? We're lynching each other slowly and under new mandates. That's the only thing the supremecists of the early century didn't think of. The "mandate" from God.

As all of you know, I'm extremely passionate about this religion struggle, and not many understand. But when its compared to racism, it seems to put this hatred into prespective for more of us.

[edit on 11-14-04 by Scat]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Well, it's pretty stupid that whoever wrote it would write that, but put the blame where it belongs, on the write not Bush. I could write the president saying "I feel we should kill anyone who's not Christian, and burn down all the science centers". Would people flame Bush for what I wrote to him?

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I'm not alluding to Bush in any way. I'm talking about Americans. This isn't some Bush bashing scheme, I'm putting into perspective the religious intolerance in this country compared to the hatred of past generations between race. We could very well go to Civil War. Though the original was formed thanks to the economy, this one could just be evangelists vs. everyone else.

Might as well, America's already started a crusade in another country, why not "clean up" at home too?

I'm not saying the entire Iraqi War is based on religion, but it sure is being fueled by it. I know too many people that say we should spread Jesus and democracy. Since when did the two go hand in hand?

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Thats funny Scat, I happened to watch Meet The Press this morning also and never heard Carville or Russet insinuate that the left leaning liberal's, and most Democrat's "hate Jesus"....interesting that your own personal interpretation allowed you to come to such a personal preference and interpretation, no?

seekerof

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
That is pretty funny, because I did.

They despise you because they despise your Christ

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Again, your ability to 'quote' without a link to the transcript is obvious and questioned. Perhaps my ability to recall is poor...

As such, care to provide that 'quote' within the context of the transcript?

seekerof

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I indeed do stand corrected, I should have provided a link from the beginning. I have placed it into the original post as well as here:

Meet the Press Transcript

Here is in fact the context:

MR. RUSSERT: Mary, you mentioned that the agenda that George Bush ran on. You didn't mention any of the social or cultural issues. And Christian evangelicals believe very deeply they were very responsible for the re-election of George Bush. This is a letter that Dr. Bob Jones, III, the president of Bob Jones University, sent to the president.

The letter was then read exactly as I posted. Then it goes on to say....

MS. MATALIN: Liberals have said--in the agony of defeat here, they've said some pretty outrageous things and they've said some pretty outrageous things during the campaign, not the least of which that the president was brain dead. But over the course of the participation of evangelicals and Christians and people of faith in the election process, they have been demonized and they have been treated with disdain and contempt.

Now, I admit what I'm about to say might sound far fetched, but the "demonization" she's talking about alsmot sounds like a comparison to the hatred the Jews went through in the second world war. Now, maybe this is my home talking, but in Texas, evangelist Christians sure aren't demonized, its everyone else that is.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
There is only one law, the law of love.
Thank you, now pray for us all.
True liberals celebrate Jesus, just as they celebrate a variety of religious beliefs that for the faithful in Jesus, will lead to Jesus.
The same should be true for public evangelicals.
When liberals support abortion on demand, they are not supporting Jesus, and when conservatives do nothing about abortion, they too are not supporting Jesus. Fill in the blanks for war, needless suffering imposed upon others, the problem as stated above is hate. Hey love the sinnner, "hate the sin." Last time I looked being "liberal," is different from being a"sin." We all need love and forgiveness. Get it?

Amen

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Cristianity is the opium of the stuped peasants.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
Well, it's pretty stupid that whoever wrote it would write that, but put the blame where it belongs, on the write not Bush. I could write the president saying "I feel we should kill anyone who's not Christian, and burn down all the science centers". Would people flame Bush for what I wrote to him?

If this was just a random letter from a unknown zealot, associating Bush with these sentiments would be unfounded. But Bush campaigned at this ultra-conservative Bob Jones University in 2000--at the time the school banned interracial dating and taught anti-Catholic rhetoric. The school continues to ban homosexuals.

John Ashcroft, the infamous Bush appointee, has ties to Bob Jones University. It is also interesting to note that Jerry Thacker, a graduate of Bob Jones U, was Bush's first choice to be appointed to be Presidential advisory on AIDS. He withdrew his nomination when it became public knowledge that he called AIDS the "gay plague" and homosexuality a "deathstyle." Thacker said that his comments were taken out of context, but the fact that he went to Bob Jones University should have been a hint that he wouldn't be entirely sympathetic to gay causes.

To say that Bush doesn't lean towards a fundamental view of religion (he is born-again, after all) is to be blind towards his actions toward social policy since he came into office. Personal freedoms have taken a beating since Bush was president because of his religious agenda. Can you say faith based initiatives? Banning abortion, limiting embryonic stem cell research, banning gay marriage, limiting free-speech, teaching only abstinence-based sex education, limited coverage for birth-control from federal health plans, encouraging grants for faith-based organizations over those that are non-secular, allowing religious employers to discriminate based on faith--the list goes on and on (see www.whitehouse.gov...)

Bush may publicly state that he is for freedom for all Americans, but I think that actions speak louder than words. Freedom for Christians--specifically fundamental Christians, takes precedence. It's no wonder why Bob Jones III is celebrating.

link   
If you've read the Sermon on the Mount, Liberals ARE LIKE Jesus.

See www.liberalslikechrist.org...

No kidding.

link   
Well Pavel, that was quite unbacked. Care to elaborate? one liners don't do much for a discussion.

lmgnyc- I also thought that was interesting. This wasn't a letter froma random person, they have ties. Its not as if Meet the Press went digging through thousands of fan letters and picked out the whackiest one they could find.

and Emily- the site you provided says that if liberals are like Christ, and everyone should want to be like Christ, then everyone should be liberal. That's no better than Jones saying that liberals are evil. Endorsing a political ideology because of its ties to religion are ridiculous, whether it be in support or dissapproval. Freedom of religion, governed by religion. It doesn't add up.

[edit on 11-14-04 by Scat]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Emily - THANK YOU!!!

And it's interesting that the first Republican President, Abraham Lincoln, quoted the same Luke 6: 37 that is quoted on that site: "Judge ye not, that ye not be judged."

I think many, many people - including today's conservatives - should take heed of that.

I don't care about labels. I may be a tree-hugging, bleeding-heart liberal, but what I believe is that if someone's way of life does not hurt my life or the lives of my loved ones, I should let him or her be. Acceptance is the first step to understanding.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
If an American "Conservative" (we should just stop with the Conservative & Liberal Code Words) ever actually MET Jesus in Real Life He would probably BEAT UP the Long Haired - Dark Skinned - Liberal Peace Loving Hippy Freak & tell him to go back to France or something!

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
as taught by the Apostle Paul in his Epistles [added long after Jesus' death by Church fathers who wanted conformity over social action].

This is what "Conservatives" dance to--

"Be all in unity" even tho Jesus said: "I came not to bring peace, but division." Conservatives are all for thought controls, after the manner of 1 Tim 1:3. They want to shut the congregation >UP

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I'm sooo confused!!!!

Love everyone, but only if they believe like me?

I just wish he would come back and set us straight!!!!!!

"Come on down"!!!!!

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scat
I'm not alluding to Bush in any way. I'm talking about Americans. This isn't some Bush bashing scheme, I'm putting into perspective the religious intolerance in this country compared to the hatred of past generations between race. We could very well go to Civil War. Though the original was formed thanks to the economy, this one could just be evangelists vs. everyone else.

Might as well, America's already started a crusade in another country, why not "clean up" at home too?

The truth is that "is" people like that no only one but many that will push any agenda or religioun anyway they want, and I think that perhaps the "quoting" is not far from reality even when it seems ridiculous.

Our nation is divided political and in religious views also.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
No this isn't the point! This isn't about what Jesus would want us to do- ITS THE FACT THATS ITS IRRELEVANT!

Religious supremecy and politcal ideology is the intolerance of my generation, and its disturbing that they go hand in hand. Our nation is not one that is set up to follow the teacings of Jesus, we are supposed to be a nation that fights for what is just and free. No matter how loving Christianity is made out to be, its not what we're supposed to be. This is America- not a monastery.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The only way to Freedom is to DROP OUT OF rules of LAW and adopt the Plan of God to save Sinners.

Without Christianity, freedom is impossible.

They go hand-in-hand.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Are you thinking freedom, or are you thinking salvation? How is being ruled by a religious dogma and controlling a nation based on it free in any way whatsoever? It's not just Christinaity, any ruling of people based on religious belief is baffling to me.

Politics, government, law, truth.

Religion, god, dogma, belief.

There's a difference. They do not go hand in hand. If the only way to freedom is through God, does that mean America is going to be so hell-bent on freedom that we'll start forcing our children to pray in shcools, or disqualifying people from jobs because of their faith?

Ive never heard force and freedom in sentence together that isn't a contradiction.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join