It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dozens killed and hundreds injured by swarms of giant hornets

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by KristofLaw

Wow.. those are not the ones I've seen. Those are even bigger than japanese hornets. Scary.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
We have ground hornets in West Virginia. They also get very big.

That is one big hornet though.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Military has been sent to deal with that sort of thing before.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Looks like Mother Nature, is fighting back against the massive pollution China is Guilty of producing.
Seriously though, this is pretty crazy, IVe noticed here in America a Hornet that Ive never before seen, Massive. It about 3 times as big as a normal hornet, with a huge butt, and stinger. Scary

I got stung 12 times last year when I accidentally disturbed a Yellow Jacket nest, The Yellow Jackets chased me and stung me 12 times, very fast, and they just dont stop when you run.. They will chase you, into a lake and continue to stay there after you surface.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The only flying stinging insect in the lower 48 that comes close in size is the cicada killer wasp, but despite appearances cicada killers are pretty mellow. I was freaked out by one while hiking, but noticed it wasn't doing anything aggressive like a typical yellow jacket would. You can walk up to a cicada killer and they don't bother you unless you mess with them first or happen to be an unfortunate cicada. The only people that really get attacked are mowing lawns which obviously would upset their nest.
That's right, you can get as close as that footage, and if you don't interfere the cicada killer typically wont bother you.

But those Asian hornets (wasps?) are scary. And I heard they have a rather nasty attitude. (And not just in the article recently mentioned. Japan also has them as well.) Hopefully it's that meanness that keeps them from being shipped across the Pacific - people would be well aware of their presence in any scheduled shipment.
Asian hornets at work. And CCD is bad enough for honeybees over here as it is. Hopefully they stay in Asia.

edit on 28-9-2013 by pauljs75 because: context fix

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I guess someone has already said but....

'Nature Fights Back'

Those are looking pretty big... I don't much like the common wasp, so I doubt i'd like these Hornets!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
The photo they used in the artical, I drew that exact one years ago. Lol was wanting to draw a hornet.... Because they are bad ass... And googled for photo references.
I always find it amusing when news uses stock photos from the web instead of actual photos from the current event that they are reporting.
Anyways, the OP is kinda scary.
Those guys are MEAN!!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join