It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dozens killed and hundreds injured by swarms of giant hornets

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I've seen videos of these marvellous creatures before and looked into them. I'm pretty sure quite a few Japanese people die from stings annually, and this doesn't sound out of the ordinary to me from what I remember. I'll just check though...

Yes, according to en.wikipedia.org... there are 30-40 deaths each year. As we are at the end of September we are pretty much on target for an average year. It's just media sensationalism of something not understood, or a lack of genuine news items.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Good god,as if my fear of bees and hornets needed some on steroids added to it. I cannot even imagine the terror and pain those poor people went through. Over 200 stings from those? I get one from a regular bee and I'm crying like a baby.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I have seen them in France this year .. At first I didn't know what I saw , I thought that it was a queen wasp.. But later on I've noticed more flying around ???

Then that evening I catch one lying dead on the toilet floor .. it also looked the same orange/yellow color as on the movie clip above..

The're seem to be called Frelon never knew they existed ...

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

You get them in France too. I've found a couple in my parents home:

files.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

No, they're similar to the Giant Hornet in Japan. Those are scary creatures, who are only here to screw with people. A couple of Japanese hornets can completely wipe out a European honey bee hive in 15 minutes or less. They have been known to kill a few people every year as well.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
lol, I like this kind of doom, I get upset when moronic and boring things like Religion or Syria or Broken reactors cause doom, it's boring, it's stupid it's really mundane...

But gigantic creatures, demons, aliens, zombies... that's my kind of apocalyptic scenario, if I have to go out fighting it has to be something I can enjoy killing. This is awesome.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
If you hate those wasps, then stay out of Michigan!

I went out to one of my local parks, and along one side of the trail, I heard a loud buzzing noise coming from one of the bushes that had red berries growing on it. When I went closer to see what was causing the buzzing (coming from the woods myself, I was taught that if I hear a loud buzzing, chances are, a hornet's nest is close by; I wanted to verify because some young kids were farther behind me), I found that there were several of these nasty buggers.

On the way back, I kept warning people about these giant wasps on the side of the trail (looking back, I'm sure I sounded like I was drinking or stoned). The next day, one of the wasps got overly curious about me, and started to follow me around the park (By this time, I was running - that wasp kept up with me until I went off under the trees).

Found out later that the wasp goes by the name "cicada killer" here (or Japanese Hornets elsewhere). Also, supposedly they are really docile, and only will attempt to attack you if you attack them first. I was so disappointed when I found out that it wasn't a cryptid, and that they were already named.

Just make sure you don't get one mad at you - apparently, not only do they not lose their stinger, but they can fly fast, and release a chemical letting other hornets in the area know that you are a threat (I didn't like having the one come after me; hate to have a swarm following my rear).

-fossilera

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I don't normally condone eradicating an entire species but, do we really need these little bastards around?
edit on 9/26/13 by TokiTheDestroyer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Wow! Forget raid and bug repellant.

The only defense against these huge messengers of all that is evil is a shotgun with bird-shot. And a couple drum magazines. A little spray and pray might kill enough of them to save ones life.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

This summer, this lone monster lurked outside my bedroom window regularly-
it was about 2 inches long, and always by itself.
It's definitely a hornet, but I still cannot identify which kind..?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ltinycdancerg

I'm from Tx, looks like a yellow jacket, those guys are hyper aggressive and will swarm without hesitation.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

This summer in Tx I had more wasp nests and wasps than I've ever seen, they were building nests under the hood of my trucks, on my porch. There were thousands everyday just buzzin all around me mid Aug, I think they eradicated the carpenter bees which was fine with me. I kept saying I was gonna exterminate them but I never got stung not once even I just let them beeeeee! Now their gone and I feel good about not having Jihad thousands of wasps.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AlliumIslelily

This is terrifying. It makes me think of the giant mosquitoes from Jumanji. It seems like every day something terrifying from childhood fiction becomes reality.

You think things are terriffying now ? Just wait til they get ramped up to Biblical.
And the whip really comes down.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

Those hornets in France are about half to the size of the Chinese or Japanese giant hornet. 2.5-3.5mm for the French hornet and 5-6mm for the Chinese/Japanese giant hornet. I remember watching a documentary on NatGeo not too long ago about these monster hornets. Apparently they are a delicacy and some villagers catch them in nets and cook them up and eat them. The "guest" who went with the villagers got stung twice, became nauseous and said he had never experience that much pain before. Nasty creatures.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

AlliumIslelily
This is terrifying. It makes me think of the giant mosquitoes from Jumanji. It seems like every day something terrifying from childhood fiction becomes reality.

EDIT: An interesting thought posted by someone on the second source article...

Here, in the US many are saying insects are becoming more aggressive. Among those who eat healthy and avoid toxic substances such as toxic personal care products, insects seem to accept those people as part of nature..as if those individuals pose no threat. We also question, along with other environmental triggers, is exposure to toxins causing insect venom to be more toxic, too.

edit on 26-9-2013 by AlliumIslelily because: (no reason given)

Interesting article you presented there. isn't showing up when I post so - toxic substances may attract insects and make them more aggressive. Be healthy and natural and they will see you as a part of nature. It seems reasonable. I got stung over a hundred times by an angry mob of bees as a kid and they haven't bothered me since. Have no idea why.
edit on 27-9-2013 by Dianec because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SasquatchHunter

That's what I thought also, but it's far too big, even for a queen, and from my research, it wouldn't be flying solo, pretty much everyday, at varying times of day, for almost 2 months. There was never another hornet, wasp, bee, etc, in sight. And though we had a few nests around, they definitely did not belong to this beast. So I figured it must be a solitary wasp, but when I researched them, nothing fit....?

the pix in the OP are the closest I've seen...

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I still find it odd how some folks just jump to the conclusion
that this is some god sent plague, or some genetically modified
monster, or that they are somehow more attracted to people
who don't eat right or something lol

The irony in all of this is a fellow clearly stated that these things
have been killing people every single year since we have known
of their existence yet somehow this oddity means all of that stuff
and more......

Why cant an oddity happen and things go back to semi normal?
Why must it always be the extreme? This reminds me of the
so called killer bee craze, while yes its something to watch
and can even be dangerous, its not supernatural or even that
amazing, its what happens when two competing species via for
the same resources.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ltinycdancerg

Maybe one of these?
Dirt Dauber