It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Arms Trade Treaty: Canada Refuses To Join 90 Nations In Signing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

"We said we would do consultations before we made a decision on that," Baird said Wednesday when asked why Canada has yet to sign the treaty.

"Those are in the early stages, so obviously we're not going to be signing on to anything (prematurely)."

Critics, however, are growing impatient.

www.huffingtonpost.ca...

Awesome!! Another +1 for Canada. We overturned c40 the Internet Privacy Act, and now this!

Not saying our politics isn't corporate driven like the U.S, but gun ownership hit's home and I'm glad we're standing up to this on a world-wide stage.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Perhaps Harper has made some agreement to sell American arms through Canada!?! Who would suspect the Canadians

In all seriousness, I am not too aware on what kind of impact this treaty would have on our country really. I maybe know 1 Canadian, perhaps 2, who owns a firearm. Not that many Canadians don't own one.

I found this interesting:

"We're in a world where there's more regulations about the trade of bananas than there are about AK-47s," Fox said in an interview.

You know who lobbied for those regulations on Bananas? The monopolistic companies that produce them and benefit from said regulations and strict control.... Is this something similar?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
That article has so little "information" in it. It gives a very brief summary of the types of weapons it is meant to affect (which summary boils down to all of them), and gives no definition for an arms merchant. Someone said this could save the lives of millions... but there's no apparent reason it would. I don't think the average citizen could make a reasonable opinion based on this... but I'm glad the Canadian government is not just signing on because everyone else is.

Any lobbyist or special interest group trying to push that risks their credibility, and should be treated accordingly.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
But the Bromelain in Bananas raises testosterone levels and raised testosterone makes guns more dangerous
Can't you see the correlation?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
"5 dumbest UN 'conspiracies'"

www.salon.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I guess Obama forgot to feed his pet(harper), so i guess he had enough and biting back?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

MDDoxs

Perhaps Harper has made some agreement to sell American arms through Canada!?! Who would suspect the Canadians

In all seriousness, I am not too aware on what kind of impact this treaty would have on our country really. I maybe know 1 Canadian, perhaps 2, who owns a firearm. Not that many Canadians don't own one.

I found this interesting:

"We're in a world where there's more regulations about the trade of bananas than there are about AK-47s," Fox said in an interview.

You know who lobbied for those regulations on Bananas? The monopolistic companies that produce them and benefit from said regulations and strict control.... Is this something similar?

People don't eat guns , that's why. Hello! Brain wake up!!

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
don't worry. They will sign. Canada just wants to look important

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Canada is a little strange. They wont sign this UN arms treaty which I approve of but they wont allow nicotine in electronic cigarettes to be used to help people quit smoking.

In Canada they do allow the use of guns for private citizens to protect themselves much like the USA. They seem to write a lot of legislation concerning gun laws and requirements for owning one. I think they want to keep their use of arms a private in country matter which is only right. They don't want to give up their sovereignty and I can't blame them for that.

Think about it.. American Elected officials willingly giving up OUR American sovereignty to the likes of the UN.

Anyone who votes for this should be shot as a traitor to the American People and in the head dead and ASAP. Yep.. I'm talking legal capitol punishment not vengeance. The American People should be able to vote " Off with their Heads" when politicians do such stupid things. It's the ONLY way we will get this country under control. We need legislation to put the real power back in We The Peoples hands where it rightfully belongs.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

JohnPhoenix

Canada is a little strange. They wont sign this UN arms treaty which I approve of but they wont allow nicotine in electronic cigarettes to be used to help people quit smoking.

In Canada they do allow the use of guns for private citizens to protect themselves much like the USA. They seem to write a lot of legislation concerning gun laws and requirements for owning one. I think they want to keep their use of arms a private in country matter which is only right. They don't want to give up their sovereignty and I can't blame them for that.

Think about it.. American Elected officials willingly giving up OUR American sovereignty to the likes of the UN.

Anyone who votes for this should be shot as a traitor to the American People and in the head dead and ASAP. Yep.. I'm talking legal capitol punishment not vengeance. The American People should be able to vote " Off with their Heads" when politicians do such stupid things. It's the ONLY way we will get this country under control. We need legislation to put the real power back in We The Peoples hands where it rightfully belongs.

As far as I know you can own a gun here obviously, and you may use it for protection; however, both your gun and its ammunition have to be locked up separately . I agree with that personally, knowing it really doesn't help much for home defense without a perimeter alarm on the edge of your property. In the house they are going to here the keys if they haven't heard you looking for them already. That could be enough to scare the average burglar but it could also get you killed. Still, kids should not have access to guns. We will have to find another way to keep people from wanting to break into our homes.

On topic though I just wanted to point out that political opponents of Harper would have a hay day with him if he tried to sign that UN bill. He just finished ordering police departments to destroy what ever information was collected from the long gun registry that he scraped. He caught flack for it too. A flip flop like this would be too much for mister straight and steady's ego. I don't think the US or the UN have any Idea how much conviction that man rolls with. I know this is little old Canada but we have a leader that actually believes he can run the show. I hate the man AND his stupid sweaters but I know better than to not respect him.

the US keeps punking Harper with this pipe line crap. He is getting ticked off...

edit on 3-10-2013 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join