It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with ‘Top Gun’-worthy stunt

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by olgalebon

Because stealth is crap and useless right? It's utterly meaningless and anyone with any radar in the world can track it.

(post by olgalebon removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I've got 28 years, and a hell of a lot more experience than you that says I know what I'm talking about. But if it makes you feel better about yourself to call me sheeple you have fun with that.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

olgalebon
Here is my take and based on the massive and years of research on aviation and ME and Iran military about the incident of raptor and phantom reported here.

I would bet and wager that The Iranian AD radars and sensors were tracking the raptors and the drone ( I say this based on past incident and reports and my first hand knowledge of the sophisticated AD defenses of Iran). This is when interceptors are sent when the enemy is close to Iranian air-space to watch or to track and wait for orders from ground stations. They will track the objects of interests while is in international waters and at the same time the Sky-Guard AD systems lock SAM and AD weapons and wait to see what the foe is doing.

If that raptor posed a threat or had ventured into Iranian air-space then all hell would have been loose and it would have been targeted and attacked.

Iranian defense doctrine about stealth fighters like f-22 is that you send one interceptor to watch and while the enemy is per-occupied with it, there would have been other more deadlier interceptors waiting afar and the AD system to see what the enemy does.

I can bet you the Iranian pilot was aware of the raptor in the vicinity and left when it was ordered by ground station to perhaps to intimate the raptor to follow and track to inside Iranian air-space and then they would try to get their hand on a raptor just like the RQ-170.

The raptor pilot did not fall for the trap perhaps because it was a seasoned pilot.

My bet is that the drone was not the intended target and the raptors were, as Iran is very interested in getting its hand on its data or the aircraft.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

And you know all about how Iranian defenses can track any stealth, and their missiles can defeat any defenses. And all the weaknesses of American systems right. And know how Iranian weapons will defeat any American system in the world.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

olgalebon
I have 37 years of experience and you are like a kid to me. I have over 20 years of military and warfare experience then you can dream of.

You are full of crap. If you had 37 years of experience, which you do not, you would know why an 1100 nm anti-ship missile is useless and the requirements and drawbacks of engaging with such a purported weapon. Zaph is an expert in this arena, and you are not even aware at how laughable your claims in this thread are.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

And how exactly were they going to do that? Spoof the GPS and make them think they were over their airfield? Hijack the computers and fly them back to Iran? Do some Hollywood magic to get them?

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by dlbott

Everyone makes it out that satellites are the be all, end all, and they're not. They're so limited, and easy to avoid that it's not funny. That's why we have UAVs. You can plot a satellite orbit to a t, and it's easy to avoid them. The US does it all the time, and used to have chalk boards with Soviet satellite overhead times on it, so they'd know when they had to be in the hangar again, to hide.

Yes you are right to a degree, we have some fantastic satellites that can cover areas UAV can not. We can cover the whole country if we want to. We can't fly UAV into their airspace without the possibility of losing it. UAV are great, especially company and platoon level but for country like Iran it is sats all day. Sorry.... Fact of life.... It is what it is...

The Bot

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

Yes, you're right. A satellite in an orbit that can be plotted, and appears over a country at predictable times is so much better than a stealthy UAV.

US bases used to have blackboards up with times written on them. Those times were the times that Soviet satellites were going to pass overhead. That way they could have anything sensitive in a hangar and under cover so they couldn't see it.

But yes, that's so much better.

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

olgalebon

I have 37 years of experience and you are like a kid to me. I have over 20 years of military and warfare experience then you can dream of.

I have zero actual military experience and I know more of the abilities of both sides. The Iranian's can't match the USAF and the USN as well at their allies. Air superiority will be attained and attained rather quickly.

Iran's pilots lack ANY actual combat experience as does most of it's Hardware and C&C. Talk all the bravado you want, it's a battle they will lose should it ever come to full out hostilities.

Any Iranian Airbases and Missile site will first get hit with hundreds of Tomahawks followed up by Radar hunting missiles and sorties. If any Iranian aircraft stay at those bases (which I doubt) they will be out of commission if not outright destroyed. I would anticipate over 50% of the IRIAF combat ready planes will be taken out in these first strikes, if not even more.

The Strategy of the U.S. is obvious, but still not stoppable. They will ground or destroy the IRIAF in short order if it comes to battle. The U.S. order of battle is to achieve Air Superiorty first,they will do that. Once the USAF starts to really use drones in a attacking sense in this stage, it's game over.

I am sure you will differ on this assessment, but given your VAST military experience, I am confident you will find a way to defeat the Numerically,more experienced, technologically advanced foe.

edit on 30-9-2013 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

olgalebon

Zaphod58

I've got 28 years, and a hell of a lot more experience than you that says I know what I'm talking about. But if it makes you feel better about yourself to call me sheeple you have fun with that.

I think you might want to watch this before you try to talk about the capabilities of Iran. Because bottom line paper machete mock up dont win a conflict.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
It seems my hunch may have been right and the incident may have been a trap for the raptors from what I gathered. Iran wants to get its hand on one of these babies.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   

pavil

olgalebon

I have zero actual military experience and I know more of the abilities of both sides. The Iranian's can't match the USAF and the USN as well at their allies. Air superiority will be attained and attained rather quickly.

Iran's pilots lack ANY actual combat experience as does most of it's Hardware and C&C. Talk all the bravado you want, it's a battle they will lose should it ever come to full out hostilities.

Any Iranian Airbases and Missile site will first get hit with hundreds of Tomahawks followed up by Radar hunting missiles and sorties. If any Iranian aircraft stay at those bases (which I doubt) they will be out of commission if not outright destroyed. I would anticipate over 50% of the IRIAF combat ready planes will be taken out in these first strikes, if not even more.

The Strategy of the U.S. is obvious, but still not stoppable. They will ground or destroy the IRIAF in short order if it comes to battle. The U.S. order of battle is to achieve Air Superiorty first,they will do that. Once the USAF starts to really use drones in a attacking sense in this stage, it's game over.

I am sure you will differ on this assessment, but given your VAST military experience, I am confident you will find a way to defeat the Numerically,more experienced, technologically advanced foe.

edit on 30-9-2013 by pavil because: (no reason given)

lmao. lol at a sheeple with zero knowledge. US pilots are not much better as Israeli and Indian, Germans and a couple of others pilots have proven and shown. They suck against well trained adversaries. They hardly have any combat experience and maybe a few air skirmishes in the gulf war. They rely too much on tech and depend on their high tech to get them out of situations.

The best pilots are the ones that fly older or less tech aircrafts and use their skills. As one top rusian ace pilot said once. It is not the aircraft but the pilot that can win a combat or succeed. He said a skilled pilot in a old fighter can defeat a rookie pilot in a highly advance fighter.

Us pilots and forces depend too much on their tech and less on their skills.

On the other hand the Iranian pilots are more skill drives then depending on the tech. Thats what 8 years of hard combat tough them.

The moral of the story is quit watching the hollywood MSM BS films and the reality is very different then what you perceive. So stop making a fool of yourself here.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Zaphod58

And you know all about how Iranian defenses can track any stealth, and their missiles can defeat any defenses. And all the weaknesses of American systems right. And know how Iranian weapons will defeat any American system in the world.

This is an open and watched forum and I can not go into detail or answer that question.

(post by olgalebon removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Of course you can't. Which usually means you can't walk the walk. There's plenty that can be put on an open forum that you can find open source. But you can't back up what you say.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

US pilots are some of the best, but so are the Israeli, and German pilots you mentioned. It's about flight time, it's not about technology. If you look at all those air forces you mentioned, they all get a lot of flight time each year. The pilots that don't get as much flight time aren't as good. It's that simple. But of course US pilots are going to use their technology, and they know how to get the best out of it. There's a lot about US tech that isn't known that gives them more advantage.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Again, how are you guys planning to do it? Its not like you can spoof the GPS and have it crash in the desert. Tapping a Raptor is going to be damn near impossible, unless you live in Hollywood land.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

good thing those Iranian boys understood English...otherwise...they could have been in some deep deep trouble...

Or maybe the Tom Cruise guy told them:

"Muhamed muhamed jihad !!!"

"derka derka allah jihad !!!"

Of course, the Iranians knew right there and than, that this guy takes no nonsense.

The End.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join