It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon viewable during the day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
So I am in the NYC area and for the last week maybe week and a half I have been able to see about 75% of the moon .
This is during the day usually from about 8am until the afternoon 1-2 pm.

I remember being able to see the moon in the day here and there and if I'm correct it was usually right before sundown .

I just can not honestly remember being able to see this much of it
For this length of time during daylight .

Is this ordinary for this time of year . Is my memory just off and this was something that always happens around this time ?

Thanks again for any info

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by navione

It happens. The moon isn't always directly opposite the sun, only during a full moon. There's about 6 hours any given 24hrs where the moon could be visible in daylight, based on celestial positions.

Nothing to worry about. But I once really thought the moon was traveling the wrong direction for a few days. Turns out I was facing the wrong way.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by navione

Moonrise and moonset times vary every day and also based on your location, so it's not surprising if you see the moon in the daytime sometimes.

Here's the Moonrise and Moonset Times for New York for September.

Readers can go to that link (at time&date .com) and find the moonrise and set times for your own location. Just click on the blue "change location" tag in the "modify parameters" box.

edit on 26/9/13 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Nothing mysterious about seeing the moon during the day. Have seen it floating about the blue skies of day since I can remember. Maybe the tall buildings in the big city prevented you from seeing it?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by navione

I'm in FL and I see the moon all the time during the day, usually before noon.

I like being able to see it in the daytime as well as the nighttime

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by navione

Yes! The only reason I know? Well, I just to teach preschool. We would take the kids outside to play after nap and snack in the afternoon and I remember singing the song "MR MOON MR MOON WHY YOU OUT SO SOON THE SUN IS STILL IN THE SKY" to them on many occasions. SO I can say it has been this way for about 13 years at least!!

This article explains it better than I could without singing you a song..lol.

Why Do We See the Moon in Daylight

Two things contribute to the moon being visible in daylight. First, it is bright enough that its light penetrates the scattered blue light of the sky. If you're looking at exactly the right spot with a telescope, you can also see the planets Mercury, Venus, and Jupiter in daylight, plus a few of the brightest stars (though few casual observers can actually pull this off). Secondly, the moon must be high enough in the sky to be visible.

edit on 26-9-2013 by k21968 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join