It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Dog needs Prozac

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I'm going to need xanax, percocet, actually just make it oxycontin...might as well pick up some medical marijuana since I'm here. Yeah this is all totally for my dog. The little pomeranian's just always moving.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SadistNocturne

Most likely a branded Tramadol. Which is an SNRI (like Effexor) and used for multiple things including pain relief.

SSRIs like Prozac are not used for pain relief and should not be given to dogs.

edit on 27-9-2013 by Tidnabnilims because: emphasis

edit on 27-9-2013 by Tidnabnilims because: parenthesis

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Tidnabnilims

Most likely a branded Tramadol. Which is an SNRI (like Effexor) and used for multiple things including pain relief.

SSRIs like Prozac are not used for pain relief and should not be given to dogs.

edit on 27-9-2013 by Tidnabnilims because: emphasis

edit on 27-9-2013 by Tidnabnilims because: parenthesis

Tramadol, that is it. Yepp, it is an SNRI like Effexor, I forgot that it was an SNRI and not an SSRI.

It still kinda weirded me out that I was messing with my dog's brain's chemical soup though....like, "do I really have the authority to do this to my poor boy? Should this be a choice that he should have to make for himself?" But at the end of the day, he was in so much pain....and thankfully, it did the job it was prescribed to do.

- SN

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Yes its an effective veterinary treatment, glad to hear your dog is well.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Tidnabnilims

Yes its an effective veterinary treatment, glad to hear your dog is well.

Well, it's sad. He's a nine year old English Bulldog. They peter out at about ten. His hips got so bad in June that he couldn't walk, at all. He wouldn't react to your voice, he wouldn't wag his tail. He's a HUGE specimen of the breed, too. 75lbs. NOT fat at all. Pure bone and muscle. We had to carry him up and down the apartment flight of stairs in a packing crate so he could go to the bathroom. Had to hold him so he could stand up to do it, too. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, as I know he'd do the same for me.

He's on Rhymadil, but I got that switched over to Novox as a generic version. $80 for 6 months worth of the med, MASSIVELY cheaper than Rhymadil. He's doing much better, he's ambulatory, and doesn't seem to faulter. But, there are still times I see him get up after a nap or just staying in one position for some time and it's obvious that he's still hurting. But he seems happy, all I have to do is say "Where's your toy? Go Get your Toy!" and he's running around, tail wagging...

As long as he keeps wagging his tail, I'll know he's ok. I'll keep up with the twice daily Novox, omega 3-6-9, and Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM.

Just keep wagging your tail buddy...

- SN

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
People don't need Prozac, and dogs definitely don't need Prozac.
If both go for a hike and get out into nature, guarantee both will be happy.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Oh, I am indeed sorry to hear that, but if he has had a good life and been a great companion then he will live on as good memories.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Tidnabnilims

Oh, I am indeed sorry to hear that, but if he has had a good life and been a great companion then he will live on as good memories.

Well, it's the price he pays for not being a mutt.

It's been said often that any purebred, large breed dog has a 25% chance of hip dysplasia regardless of breeding and the physical condition of the dogs lineage.

We have bred the daylights out of these poor guys. But the heart and personality of every single English Bulldog I've ever known is just something that brings such joy to me.

I was fully prepared (I actively cashed out stocks to finance it in advance) to have surgery done on him. But given his response to the medication, and that he is 9yrs old already (probably only a few years left max), it honestly doesn't make sense to put his body through the stress of the surgery at his age.

My next dog is getting the testing done ASAP. If I see the test come back positive for hip dysplasia, we're going through with surgery right then.

- SN

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I would NEVER give my dog any kind of prozac or xanax or anything of the like.

Imo it's lazy owners who don't take their pets out or lock them up all day then when they come home the dog is hyper and is like a rocket. My neighbor has a pretty big lab and it barks ALL DAY! I finally had to say something because it was getting very annoying. I felt bad because I didn't want to be "that" neighbor but having to listen to that all day and having it wake up my son during nap time was starting to piss me off. I never see that dog outside. It's cooped up all day inside. IMO it's cruel to have a dog that size in a small apt. That dog should be out running around with a yard. Well I ran into his ex wife who was walking the dog one day and that damn dog practically dragged her down the stairs! She had NO control over the dog. My dog was getting all excited and i had to pull back on his harness but I winded up picking him up because I didn't want that other dog to get to him, he would have crushed my dog. I felt bad for the woman, no dog should walk his/her owner.

I knew someone who locked her dog up ALL day even when she was HOME and then wondered why when it was let out it went nuts. She would always say it needed meds and i would just say it needed to be out of a CAGE!

If you have to cage your pets you shouldn't have them but that is my opinion. Dogs CAN be trained and if you don't have the time, patience or care to train it then you shouldn't have one. I never understood why people got dogs only to put them in cages most of the day. My dog has free run of the house, he doesn't bark not even when the other loud obnoxious dogs bark outside. He runs to the door and just wags his tail. If Rosco barks there is a reason for it and that has only happened about 6times and I've had him a year! Each time it was to alert me to someone outside late at night at a time when people shouldn't have been out back.

I did have to crate train him in the beginning but it was used as a training tool and once he got it he was no longer in the crate. He has his own bed and box full of toys, heck he even puts them away! Dogs are so much smarter than most give them credit for.

I dont blame those dogs locked up all day for going bonkers when they get out of a cage, it's freedom! How would you like to be cooped up all day long in a tiny cage?

If leave for the day I let Rosco have full run and I leave pee pee pads in the bathroom which he uses. I never trained him to use those though. I think he had been trained on them prior to me having him.

I was watching a show at my moms on dogs. It was a show with videos people sent in of their pets, can't think of the name. It was like America's Funniest Home Video's only with pets. Well they showed vids of people's dogs doing crazy thing like breaking out of cages or getting into food. One dog, a husky, would move his cage and TEAR UP the carpet!!!! This dog tore up the carpet and these people basically laughed it off!! I fail to see how that is funny! I felt bad for the dog, he was obviously acting out for being locked up in a cage at night. If I had a dog like that I'd want him out of his cage at night. A dog that size would be highly intimidating to an intruder but in a cage not so much.

I know people who didn't train their dogs and they are paying for it now. My husbands family has a 100lb boxer, he's a sweet dog but has horrible manners. He jumps and it hurts. He has knocked me over many times. When people would come over instead of teaching him "no" and "down" they just put him outside so now that they don't have that option he is a pain. I stopped going over there when I was pregnant because he was so big I was afraid he'd hurt me, not on purpose of course. They kind of laugh it off but imo it's wrong. How can you have a dog from a puppy and not train it? Now it's a tad too late, the dog is set in his ways. My dog listens very well and even though he is small I don't want him jumping up on people. He will greet you first jumping up and I tell him "no down" and he listens. I don't have to kick him away from me or use my backside as a shield. Rosco is pretty good about not jumping up and if you tell him NO he listens. I can take him off his leash and he will walk right next to me and stop if I say so. I always get compliments on how good he is, well it's because I took the time to teach him!!

IMO if a vet recommended my doc be on these types of meds I would take that as a cue to find a new vet!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Awe he sounds like a sweetie! I'm glad he is feeling better.

You should post a pic of his cuteness

I love English Bull Dogs, they are so cute and everyone I have ever met has been so sweet!

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I got an aunt that is trendy AF, she has a cat she gave prozac too and i want to say another cat, and that probably was the 90s too?

She's an aging hipster.

Go fig.

posted on Sep, 29 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

mblahnikluver

Awe he sounds like a sweetie! I'm glad he is feeling better.

You should post a pic of his cuteness

I love English Bull Dogs, they are so cute and everyone I have ever met has been so sweet!

Ask and ye shall receive...

Behold, My son Atlas!

- SN

top topics

<< 1   >>

join