It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supermarket Chains, Tesco and Asda, Withdraw Psycho Ward, and Mental Patient, Halloween Costumes...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
The two supermarket chains in the UK, (Asda and Tesco) came under fire yesterday over the Halloween costumes that were described as “staggeringly offensive”.

Tesco and Asda had these two costume on sale until yesterday when they were withdrawn....

Supermarket chains, Tesco and Asda, have apologised for any offence caused by Halloween costumes they stocked and have subsequently withdrawn them...

The two retailers came up against criticism over the costumes on Twitter and from mental health organisation MIND, which described Tesco’s ‘psycho ward’ and Asda’s ‘mental patient’ outfits as “staggeringly offensive”....

In response, Asda made a public apology to its Twitter followers yesterday for the ‘mental patient’ costume which included fake blood and a meat cleaver....

A spokesperson said Asda takes it “responsibilities very seriously which is why we will make a sizeable donation to MIND”....

MIND’s Sue Baker, said the organisation hopes “this will urge Asda, Tesco and other retailers and manufacturers to review their processes and consider taste and decency on mental health grounds, to avoid fuelling stigma and discrimination that are so damaging for large numbers of the population”.

Having suffered with mental health problems myself over many years and worked with clients on a professional basis, I personally find this totally disgusting. But in this day and age I am not surprised as shops will try to make money in any way that they can....

I just find it extraordinary how marketing professionals for massive supermarket chains even thought that these costumes were a great idea without actually looking into the issue of mental health and how it would have an effect on people within the community...

Do you think these costumes are a good idea or not?

Just wondered what you thought...

Cheers

Story links
www.bbc.co.uk...

metro.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I think its okay as long they not use for bad purpose..
and its not GMO product..Lol
Tqx friend..good post SnF

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Halloween is a big deal here in the states. It's one night where you can be anyone or anything you want to be. I'm not just talking about kids trick or treating. For the adults this has become the party of the year event. With that being said, I wonder how long it will be that here too,will start dictating what can and can't be worn on this holiday.

I personally think people are becoming too thin skin it seems as though everything has become offensive or against the law. (I'm thinking of the kids in Texas who's mom got arrested for them playing outside) sorry dont mean to derail or go off topic here.

It's halloween for crying out loud, it's about costumes and being someone other than yourself. We need to stop trying to control everything and what everybody does. It's not just the government or the police or policy makers. It's every day citizens who won't let thier neighbors live in peace because they don't agree with them about things that harm no one.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It's Halloween for crying out loud. You're supposed to be something wild and wacky and totally improbable, if not impossible in real life. Thats the whole point.

Someone needs to lend our brothers in England a sense of humor...they seem a bit short on one for this occasion. Maybe send the one who got offended a Court Jester costume?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

This is political correctness gone insane!

What's next?

Will all horror movies be banned?

What about books that portray such things in writing? Will they be deemed to offensive?

Before you ask, "Yes, I have suffered from mental illness!"

All Hallows Eve comes once a year. Whether you believe in celebrating it or not, allow those whom do have the freedom to have some fun with it...............sigh

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This would not bother me too much, but i can understand how mental health institutes and patients might take offence!

So at Halloween (and only for one day) if i dress up in a wacky pervert costume with the word "rapist" written all over the back this would be ok?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 26-9-2013 by Rodinus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

seeker1963
reply to post by davethebear

This is political correctness gone insane!

What's next?

Will all horror movies be banned?

What about books that portray such things in writing? Will they be deemed to offensive?

Before you ask, "Yes, I have suffered from mental illness!"

All Hallows Eve comes once a year. Whether you believe in celebrating it or not, allow those whom do have the freedom to have some fun with it...............sigh

The next is you must use GMO toilet tissue..and thennnnn....then then..then..

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
My lord people are such pansies! Oh dont do that it might offend somebody!!

Really, are you that pathetic? Grow a pair!

Soon everyone will just be standing around, because quick movements might upset people with eye disorders or some stupid crap like that.

Swear to god people need to stop being raised by women! No offence ladies but crap.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Rodinus

So at Halloween (and only for one day) if i dress up in a wacky pervert costume with the word "rapist" written all over the back this would be ok?

Depending on the setting and party that night? Quite possibly, yes... lol... I'd imagine some parties among cops and attorneys might see some pretty wild things pop up and get laughs. Everything in context...and context IS everything. (even black humor has it's place)

Banning the costume itself though? Well... Nanny-101. Lesson learned by some, to be sure.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Absurd!!! LMAO!! Political correctness gone mad. Maybe Im not sensitive enough, but this is idiotic.

Then again, these kinds of professionally offended folks are great for laughs.
www.videogum.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

Rodinus

Depending on the setting and party that night? Quite possibly, yes... lol... I'd imagine some parties among cops and attorneys might see some pretty wild things pop up and get laughs. Everything in context...and context IS everything. (even black humor has it's place)

Banning the costume itself though? Well... Nanny-101. Lesson learned by some, to be sure.

I am one of the first to get dressed up in weird and whacky costumes at halloween given the chance and everything goes (in the best possible taste and depending as you say on the setting of the party)

What we have to look at is, at least there is a positive side to this that the supermarkets have decided to donate to the offended party in question!

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 26-9-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

Rodinus

Brings to mind the Penn State Pedophile costume, pedo priest costume.. and the ever favorite.. bomb strapped jihadist costume of recent popularity.

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Well, now if we want to start dressing up as Pedo-Bear, I'd say we can expect to meet people dressed up as vigilantes out behind the 'ol party house too. Some things are just a bad idea on any day... lol

I've seen people around here with Jihadi costumes tho. Some pretty elaborate. No one in their right mind would take it seriously or be offended ..and if they were, I'd really wonder HARD about why making fun of Jihadi fighters offends them in the first place, eh?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Advantage

No one in their right mind would take it seriously or be offended ..

Say that to one of those trigger happy cops who would blow up a puppy just because it dribbled on his shoes!

Warmest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Hannibal masks, straight jackets, hospital play, are a staple of costumes and haunted house displays each year. Sure it's a stereotype in a sense, but it's also fantasy, which surely to most people is to not disrespect patients and or distort history and reality of institutions. If anyone wants to complain should not the naming be more so offensive than the costume. Then again what else should they be called, swear I've seen different naming such as "restraint" to even "Hannibal". What hospitals have you looking as such, unless your in a horror or Hannibal movie?

top topics

join